Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel tank Location - Between Wishbones???
webbey

posted on 23/10/11 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Fuel tank Location - Between Wishbones???

Hi There,

i was thinking about putting my fuel tank right at the front between the wishbones, does anyone know if the IVA man will be happy with that or has anyone done this and it worked out ok???

Mark Allanson

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
What do you think?

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Talon Motorsport

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I realy don't like the sound of that at all. Most crashes seem to happen front end first, as the tank empties the weight on the front wheels will change and loss grip although progressively. As for IVA I think that will depend on the views of the tester but I think it might raise a few eye brows. Is there any reason why the tank can't go some where else?
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MakeEverything

posted on 23/10/11 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webbey
Hi There,

i was thinking about putting my fuel tank right at the front between the wishbones, does anyone know if the IVA man will be happy with that or has anyone done this and it worked out ok???

I would suggest getting your hands on the IVA manual. This will tell you what the IVA man will accept.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

designer

posted on 23/10/11 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
A very dangerous place, but you have to tell us what you are building!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_gsxr

posted on 23/10/11 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Its here on a J15 / Riot.

Behind the line of the wishbones.

scootz

posted on 23/10/11 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
It's not that dramatically dangerous!

Rear-end shunts are ten-a-penny and no-one seems to be all that concerned about there only being 1.2mm of ally sheet between the car behind you and your fuel tank!

It's Evolution Baby!

rb968

posted on 23/10/11 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Naively I assumed many mid rear engined kits had tanks in the front. My old 911 did and it fair to say he handling was much improved with a tank full of fuel. Certainly noticed the under steer when empty.

If the chassis at the front is designed well why s it so much more dangerous than where it is my Indy where essentially it is unprotected other than by the fibreglass rear panel?

Rich

[Edited on 23/10/11 by rb968]

JoelP

posted on 23/10/11 at 01:51 PM Reply With Quote
In an ideal world, it would be as close to the centre of the car as possible, so my vote goes for the passenger footwell. However, when i next build a car the engine will be in the footwell, so the tank might go under my left elbow, over the prop.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

iank

posted on 23/10/11 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
In an ideal world, it would be as close to the centre of the car as possible, so my vote goes for the passenger footwell. However, when i next build a car the engine will be in the footwell, so the tank might go under my left elbow, over the prop.

Need to be careful if it's going to be IVA'd, you'd need to build in bulkheads all around the tank.

quote:

11. A Fuel Tank must not be located in, or form part of the passenger
compartment, or other compartment integral with it and the bulkhead that
separate the passengers from the fuel tank must be free from holes through
which any escaped fuel could travel.

and

14. Fuel tank filling points must not be located in the passenger compartment,
luggage compartment or within an engine compartment.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 23/10/11 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
If it's a 7 then you'll need to be careful of the rules around heat sources. Sticking even more weight up at the front won't do you any favours either.
If it's mid engined then all will be fine so long as it meets rule 8 all will be fine.

Section 3A of the IVA manual has all the rules.

Can't see why it's any worse at the front to the back from a safety point of view - at least it's your fault if it all goes pear shaped.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

MakeEverything

posted on 23/10/11 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Naively I assumed many mid rear engined kits had tanks in the front. My old 911 did and it fair to say he handling was much improved with a tank full of fuel. Certainly noticed the under steer when empty.

If the chassis at the front is designed well why s it so much more dangerous than where it is my Indy where essentially it is unprotected other than by the fibreglass rear panel?

Rich

[Edited on 23/10/11 by rb968]

Mine is in the rear behind the drivers seat and about 20mm from the steel supercharger pulley!

I would like to split it and have one either side, but thats another 12m off the road at least!!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.