Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Advice regarding selling kit car abroad
Tris

posted on 25/10/11 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
Advice regarding selling kit car abroad

Hi all,

After some collective advice regarding a kit car sale that i am looking at doing.

Ive got my Spire GTR up for sale, and its has had a bit of interest although i must say that most of the interest has come from abroad (france, germany and now Italy).

Received an email from an Italian buyer last week who sounded very genuine. Swapped 4 or 5 emails talking about details and asking for more pictures (like weather the diff has an LSD or not, so hardly the MO of an nigerian spammer). He wants to come to the UK and collect the car on his car transporter and pay me the funds via bank transfer a week before coming over.

Couple of questions :-
Is there anything i need to look out for regarding the bank transfer ? He says he's brought a few BEC powered UK cars before and used this method.
He also wants me to scan my car's V5 document and send it to him, so he can check with the Italian government regarding if the car can be registered road legal. This process which apparently takes him a couple of hours is a pre cursor to him sending me any money. Does this sound ok to you all ?

Cheers,
Tris

vinny1275

posted on 25/10/11 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
The bit about the V5 would make me wary - I wouldn't have thought the Italian Government could decide whether the car could be road legal from the V5 - if there's any doubts about whether it can be road registered there, they would be down to the design / build of the car. I daresay the V5 only says PLG, or at its most descriptive, 2 seat sports car, which could cover anything from a Frogeye sprite to a Lamborghini Gallardo, so there's not going to be anything in it for the Italian government to tell anything meaningful about the car, and whether it would be able to be road registered...

As I haven't sold any cars to Italians over email, I could be spouting complete kack, but it just doesn't quite smell right to me.....

Tris

posted on 25/10/11 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the v5 did wary me a little, but in reality what could he do with a scanned copy of the v5 ? Its hardly like he could clone it ?

V5 states 'PLG' and Spire GTR.

I suppose i could watermark the scanned image ??

jase380

posted on 25/10/11 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
Me and a mate of mine both had identical emails from a bloke in italy when we had our cars on pistonheads, he was requesting scanned copies of the v5, mot and sva cert. At that point i told him to poke it and turn up at my door with some cash if he wanted the car.... my brother spent 5 years in west yorks police stolen vehicle squad and having heard hundreds of tales of cloned cars over the years i trust no one where giving copies of docs is concerned.
owelly

posted on 25/10/11 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Scan him the V5 in black and white. He's not going to get very far trying to pas it off as real! Consider 'altering' the scanned copy by changing a couple of digits on the engine number/chassis number. Ask him for his address so you can post the scanned document. It may scare him off if he's a bit dodgy. Or ask him for the details of the 'authorities' over there and say you'll ask the questions about importing the car.

[Edited on 25/10/11 by owelly]

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 25/10/11 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, but I would be wary too.

I sold a kit car to a guy who came over from Germany for it. He emailed for details but didn't want a copy of the V5 in advance. For your "buyer", if you want to progress it I would email him with the main details e.g. make, type, engine size, emissions, etc. plus anything that "might" be relevant to the authorities but NOT the reg no. or VIN.

I told my German guy I would take cash only and when he arrived I scanned his ID card as evidence, filled in the V5 details and scanned that as well, and went to the bank with him so I could pay the money direct into my account and get it counted and verified by the cashier. It is a little embarrassing for us Brits to do that sort of thing but speaking personally I can't afford to potentially chuck a few grand away.

Just googled and found this which includes "Technical specifications form signed and stamped by the manufacturer or a reputable dealer (Note: Italians returning to Italy from outside the EU are exempt from producing a technical sheet). It may be necessary to obtain technical specifications information from the vehicle manufacturer"

steve m

posted on 25/10/11 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
I would remove certain details off the V5, like your address, as presume thats were the car is garaged?

Also the reg no, assuming the pics he has off your car dont have the plate showing??
I would also black out parts of the engine/chassis no

IMHO, if he wants the car, he will pay and collect with out any of this "paperwork" issues, as a V5 mot etc is surely worthless in another country

Steve

Tris

posted on 25/10/11 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all for the advice so far.

Having spoken at length to another spire builder in Germany at the last stoneleigh show, I know that the only way they can get a BEC powered car road legal is to buy an iva'ed uk example and export it. My guess is that he wants the v5 to see if he can export the car.

I must admit that he's given me some background info about himself, phone numbers, link to his Facebook account etc.

Has anyone got any advice regarding excepting the funds via bank transfer ? I think it won't be himself collecting the car by his email, so he didn't like the idea of paying cash on collection

designer

posted on 25/10/11 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Just like in France, he will know whether he can re-register or not.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 25/10/11 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
If he is saying that he has already bought a few before from the UK then surely he already knows if it can be registered as road legal... As for paying by bank transfer??? If he is coming over in person then why not bring the cash?
I would not risk it if it was me mate..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

trextr7monkey

posted on 25/10/11 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
If not cash get the bank transfer 2 weeks before he comes- plenty of time to see the money in your bank.
We sold a car to people living in France and they managed to get it registered as a historic vehicle based on the age of the donor and the fact that it wasn't a Q plate they had a lot of info relating to the build but it still took them months after the transaction to get it all sorted I'd say he should now know what he is about if he has been through the process before, advice above re disguising numbers on the document seems wise.
Good luck
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

PAUL FISHER

posted on 25/10/11 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Another thread here on the same subject.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155615

LeoGASp!

posted on 27/10/11 at 06:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
Another thread here on the same subject.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=155615

Yes, and the same intermediary!!

[Edited on 27/10/11 by LeoGASp!]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.