Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any reason why bike lights cant be used?
fullpint

posted on 15/11/11 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Any reason why bike lights cant be used?

I need to improve my lights and was thinking!!!
Can I use a headlight (with chrome outer) from say a Suzuki Bandit 600? One of either side? Mount them in a U bracket and then bolted onto the main chassis?
I presume a light is just a light or is this not such a bright idea

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 15/11/11 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote

I think bike lights dip up/down not to the left as on a car.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

MikeRJ

posted on 15/11/11 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Bike lights often don't have the same dipped beam pattern as car headlamps. Also a lot of bike headlamps aren't particularly great anyway.

That said people have managed to get past SVA with the dominator headlamps which are designed for a bike.

[Edited on 15/11/11 by MikeRJ]

fullpint

posted on 15/11/11 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kipper
I think bike lights dip up/down not to the left as on a car.
Denis.

Thats why mounting them on a U bracket with bolt thru the bottom of the U bracket to enable the lights to be moved a degree or two towards the nearside. Guess I should check with my local MOT place. Car is already road legal so the SVA thingy should not be an issue!!!

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 15/11/11 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
They are now OK for IVA

snowy2

posted on 16/11/11 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
There is no legal problem with using motorbike lights....your problem comes from that they are not always “E“ marked. also on a car it is a legal requirement that the beam be adjustable both for height and side to side. and that this adustment can be carried out whilst the headlight is being aimed at the “target“
motorbike lights often do not have this adjustment capability built in.

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

JF

posted on 19/11/11 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
Might be me but classic seven headlight setup with a U bracket... Slightly loosen the bolt holding the headlight to the U for up and down, or the bolt holding the U to the frame for left/right. Aim at the 'target', tighten the bolts, check... job done... Or am I missing something?
snowy2

posted on 19/11/11 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
No problem....that is how i did it on my car this year....but it isn't something that is thought about when buying them. for some folks they don't want ugly brackets on the car for the headlights.

on dip beam they are worse than useless, on main beam they are awesome lighting up the road for miles! (400w dip and main)
also if your building a new car you can ONLY have two dip beams and a maximum of 4 main beams. (My car is old enough to have as many as i want)

sometimes you are the pigeon, most of the time the statue.

fullpint

posted on 19/11/11 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thats just how I was thinking snowy2. U brackets means you can adjust the aim. Useless on dim beam!!! I'm guessing thats due to them being mounted lower than what they would if on a bike. Then again thats the main issue with kit cars. We cant realy mount em on a stork that is 3 feet high now LOL

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.