Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is there such a thing as a perfect "allround car"?
sdh2903

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Is there such a thing as a perfect "allround car"?

I know this is a question that would be very much down to individual taste, but is there a car that covers all bases? I.e for me:

1. Under £7-8k in cost
  2. Reasonably quick
  3. Fun to drive
  4. Capable of occasional kit towing duties
  5. capable in winter conditions
  6. practical enough to carry couple of kids and stuff that goes with em!

I currently have a mondy st220 which I reckon covers 4 of those points, I cant tow with it legally and its absolute crap in the snow and ice which I can vouch for yet again this morning after a very embarrasing incident parking it at home after a 14 hour nightshift out in the cold!

I know I could stick winter tyres on it and that would help but still wouldn't sort out the towing issues. I have in the past thought about buying a cheap 4x4 and run that as well as the mondy but with insurance, tax, mot's it would be pricey.

So I will throw it open to suggestions! The only ones I could come up with are Audi quattro's or maybe an X5 (stretching the budget and I've always slagged them off as being chelsea tractors)

Any Ideas?

eddie99

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:47 AM Reply With Quote
If your not worried on fuel consumption costs, i think an Audi S4 covers all your points!
NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
twybrow

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:55 AM Reply With Quote
Impreza
Octavia 4x4 Turbo
Golf VR6

sdh2903

posted on 18/12/11 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
Good shout, I've just been looking at a couple on pistonheads. Mpg wise I usually see around 27 ish to the gallon from the mondeo so economy not an overly massive issue. I think that insurance costs might be an issue with the S4 though.
rb968

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Guy at work's wife has an X5 which he says was absolutely bloody useless in the snow last year. giant wheels and low profile wide tyres probably don't help. Not a proper 4 wheel drive really. His Suzuki Jimny ran rings round it and would go anywhere.

If you want decent towing capacity then it really has to be a 4x4 really. My mondeo estate is enough to tow my Indy on a lightweight trailer though.

I quite fancied an A6 all road but doubt they tick the fun box.

Rich

rb968

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:01 AM Reply With Quote
Subaru legacy estate?
sdh2903

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Impreza
Octavia 4x4 Turbo
Golf VR6

I've looked at getting an impreza a few times in the past but again insurance seems to be the big stumbling block as I'm under 30, even though I have 12 years no claims all on reasonably quick cars and my address isnt too bad insurance wise.

Octavia, quite like the Vrs but doesn't come in 4x4 quise i dont think?

Golf not really big enough.

keep em coming!!

sdh2903

posted on 18/12/11 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Subaru legacy estate?

Not quite ready for the pipe and slippers yet

Ninehigh

posted on 18/12/11 at 02:58 AM Reply With Quote
Passat comes in 4x4 flavour doesn't it?

Also if 300+bhp isn't good for towing then an Evo's off the table.

bertie_bas205

posted on 18/12/11 at 04:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh
Passat comes in 4x4 flavour doesn't it?

Also if 300+bhp isn't good for towing then an Evo's off the table.

My girlfriend has just sold her Passat 4Motion..... CRAP in the snow...

She now runs about in a Disco...

Bertie.

orton1966

posted on 18/12/11 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
Snow Car's

The problem with modern cars, including some 4x4, X5 and 4 motion Passat, already mentioned, almost entirely comes down to weight (can’t do much about that) and tyres.

Peoples instinct is always to go big, safe 4 wheel drive, truth is an old 80’s fiat panda on decent tyres would get you through worse conditions than almost any luxury 4x4 on its stock tyres.

Why can’t you tow with your current car, lack of power or lack of rated tow weight?

As to tow/winter vehicle, how about a Nissan Terrano (Ford Maverick) not too big/ungainly, has decent off road performance including a limited slip diff and reasonable towing ability

[Edited on 18/12/11 by orton1966]

[Edited on 18/12/11 by orton1966]

HowardB

posted on 18/12/11 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
get a diesel forester, ace!

will tow. go off road, carry 5, 4wd, and does 40+mpg

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

ginger ninja

posted on 18/12/11 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
have you seen current PPC mag top ten ? - most sensible car 2.5 XT subaru forester - ticks all your requirements depending how serious you want the handling. Handling kits are available if you want to lose your fillings.
Has all the running gear from the impreza, but attracts far less attention from the rozzers, and is an estate type so more practical. Looks are a bit Marmite hate it/ grows on you. Fuel consumption - 20mpg towing trailer with locost, 25 ish normally. Previously won towing car of the year, and sprints to 60 in a respectable 6 sec as standard (propaganda says 227BHP). XTEN top of range has all the toys.

I've had one for three years now, price of petrol isn't too much of a problem because I only do 7k miles/year. Road rent is a bit keen at a shade over 400 quid last year. Insurance is relatively cheap for this sort of performance.
If you can cope with fuel economy issue, these things are cheap for that reason.

worth a look

scootz

posted on 18/12/11 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Guy at work's wife has an X5 which he says was absolutely bloody useless in the snow last year. giant wheels and low profile wide tyres probably don't help....

This makes me cringe whenever I hear it!

Tell him to fit winter tyres / wheels!!! It will be a more bloody useful in the snow with them!

It's Evolution Baby!

BigLee

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Volvo V70R plus a set of winter tyres. 4wd, 300bhp, pipe and slippers image keeps insurance lower than some, plus one of the best factory sound systems around (Dolby pro logic 10 speaker).
Or get the 1.6d version like me! The fun comes from the comically bad perferormance! Although with winters tyres on, I can drive like like an arse whatever the weather!

Lee

morcus

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
You'd probably get a half decent Alfa with AWD for your money in the form of the 156 and you can get a v6 if you do without AWD. Have you considered a Hot Volvo or Saab? You'd be able to buy a top end Cadillac BLS with your budget, worth a look if your not familliar with the car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

big-vee-twin

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Jeep Patriot 2.0 ltr Diesel, this is mine in the Snow last Year.

Its fairly nippy - has the same engine as VW Passat, does 42mpg to the Gallon and will go anywhere in the snow.

It has selectable 4WD so you can turn it on/off and when its on its an intelligent system.

Loads of room inside

[img] Jeep
Jeep
[/img]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
Jeep Patriot 2.0 ltr Diesel, this is mine in the Snow last Year.

Its fairly nippy - has the same engine as VW Passat, does 42mpg to the Gallon and will go anywhere in the snow.

It has selectable 4WD so you can turn it on/off and when its on its an intelligent system.

Loads of room inside

[img] Jeep
Jeep
[/img]

I don't think he'll find it quick after an st220.

And its hideous!

V70R FTW.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big-vee-twin

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
No need to get insulting, at least it is a proper go anywhere 4WD rather than one that pretends to be - I don't particularly think its a looker but that is not why I bought it.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

lewis

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Subaru legacy estate?

Not quite ready for the pipe and slippers yet

Get the B spec one 330bhp flat 6

I am a driving god!..........sort of

tomgregory2000

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Is there such a thing as a perfect "allround car"?

NO

Talon Motorsport

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
How round where you thinking perfectly or just roughly?

[Edited on 18/12/11 by Talon Motorsport]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
phelpsa

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
No need to get insulting, at least it is a proper go anywhere 4WD rather than one that pretends to be - I don't particularly think its a looker but that is not why I bought it.

Apologies, meant to be light hearted not insulting. None of our cars are lookers either.

Still, I wouldn't have said it was a go anywhere 4x4, not enough ground clearance.

scootz

posted on 18/12/11 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
No need to get insulting...

LOL... you're insulted because someone thinks your car is hideous!

Just as well I kept my mouth shut then about the Jeep!!!

It's Evolution Baby!

speedyxjs

posted on 18/12/11 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Cold weather tyres will help point 4 so my vote is Jag s-type. Mine is an 05 3.0 which i brought in the summer for 7.5k with just 35k oin the clock!

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.