Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gas Safety certificate and access issues
eznfrank

posted on 16/7/12 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
Gas Safety certificate and access issues

Just looking for a bit of advice from any Gas Safe engineer or anyone in the know if possible. We're selling our house and as we have no servie records for the boiler they've asked for a gas safety certificate. We had our boiler installed by a CORGI guy around 7 years ago, but when it was installed the kitchen was yet to be fitted. I've never paid much attention before but the clearance above the boiler is not quite what it's supposed to be and will restrict access to the gas flue sampling port, it's probably not impossible to get to, just a pain in the ass.

Also, he advised he's going to have to look at the oven too, again this was installed by a CORGI engineer when the kitchen was being constructed but since then we've had the tiling done around it which has effectively locked it in place restricting access to the pipework at the back.

Are either of these likely to cause much of an issue? He's nto coming till later in the week so I could try and resolve in advance but would just prefer not to have to mess about with it if I can (as in sorting the access....NOT touching the gas supply etc)

JoelP

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Boiler housings often cause access problems, so should be easily removable. Have a look how easy it would be to remove.

Regarding the oven, it needs to be removable for servicing, but from a gas safety point of view, its mainly gas tightness and ventilation in the room. The hose also shouldnt be kinked or touching the floor, and it needs a chain on it.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

loggyboy

posted on 16/7/12 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
Whose asking for these cert's? If its just a private house do you even have to provide them?

Mistral Motorsport

eznfrank

posted on 16/7/12 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
The boiler housing comes off easily enough, it's the above and below which is tight, mainly the gas sample port in the flue. Cooker isn't coming out without a fight so not sure what to do about that one.

Don't have to provide cert but would prefer to do it this way rather than risk losing the sale as that's what buyer has asked for.

mookaloid

posted on 16/7/12 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
We get gas certificates done all the time. they cost about £60 plus VAT round here so it isn't the end of the world if you get someone there and they have to come back because you need to do some stuff.

I would get your man there and then he will tell you if it isn't going to pass like it is.

The only issues I have ever had with gas engineers complaining about access, is when it is British Gas doing the checks - so DON'T ASK BRITISH GAS to do it for you - they are a bunch of jobsworths

I find that most other Gas Safe registered chaps are very reasonable and will only fail it if it is genuinely unsafe.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.