Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Information re travelling to/around Thailand
russbost

posted on 3/9/12 at 09:20 AM Reply With Quote
Information re travelling to/around Thailand

After some info if anyone has been to Thailand fairly recently, particularly for a stay longer than a month.

My daughter & a friend, much against my wishes, & obviously better judgement have booked tickets to Thailand where they are intending to backpack/work their way around for about 7 months or so leaving this Nov.

So far as I can establish, unless you have a work permit (which they won't have) they won't allow you into the country unless you can show a return ticket valid within the next 30 days (which they won't have), her friend who is organising this insists they can simply visit the embassy at the end of the 30 days & renew their visas & continue to do so for the tiime they are out there. Her friend has done this b4, but it was back in 2005/6 & my understanding is that they changed their policy on this in 2008.

To further complicate the issue her friend has contacts in Laos where they are also intending to visit & they have been offered work at a bar there where the friend worked previously, no idea how this affects the Visa situation & what procedure re exiting/re-entering Thailand is.

My feeling is that the whole trip is highly ill advised & almaost certain to end in disaster, but I can't stop her, she's an adult (at least technically!), but any information to stop it being a disaster b4 it's started would be much appreciated.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 3/9/12 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
I used to live there, worked there, my other half is Thai, and we will return ASAP As we are trying to get a piece of land in Tak in the North,

I hope my info is helpful.

You are correct with the 30 day visa, and yes the law has changed.

But it depends on who is at the immigration office on the day of applying, there are no hard and fast rules in Thailand, I learned that one a long time ago.

Technically they "could" get to stay in the country for upto 10 years on a students visa if they were to "enroll" into a college and take thai lessons

A tourist non-immigant visa is valid for thirty days, but if they do a "visa-run" say to Cambodia they can apply for a 60 day extension upon re-entry, this would allow a 90day total before they would have to step out of the country for a minimum of 30 days.

But again that is subjective as you can cross back into the country with no passport checks at many locations.

Thailand is a beautiful place, and not nearly as dangerous as many think, its the same no matter where you travel in the world, you must not go with your head up your bum....

(edit)

My feeling from reading your post is that you are maybe being an (overly) protective parent who is afraid of your child going out into the big wide world, be there,listen & advise and to be there to help when/if a call for help comes.

ask for her to promise to check-in with you via sms every other day or an agreed time frame, and have in place a plan of action if the check-in are not met, and explain that the reason for any check-in is as much for your piece of mind as it is for their safety, as they may find it "sweet" if they think they are checking-in for you.

[Edited on 3/9/2012 by Hector.Brocklebank]

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

russbost

posted on 3/9/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanx for the info Hector

So basically the max they can stay without work permit is 90 days? But if they went to Laos for a period & then came back that could be extended? Have I got that right?

But what about this business of not being able to get into the country in the first place without a return ticket within the 30 day period, do they have to book flights to return & then change them once they are in Thailand?

Re being an overly protective parent, you may well be right, but the problem is that she's got a very high IQ but no common sense whatsoever, has major "blond" moments & is not very streetwise. She's relying heavily on this other girl who appears to have not quite got it together in terms of what they need to do! Hence my misgivings.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Irony

posted on 3/9/12 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
I also did a 'ill-advised' trip to Thailand about 5-6 years ago. I booked a flight into Bangkok and that was it. Just got a taxi to Khao San road and winged it. Beautiful country. I never went south however, I went east and north to see some less touristy parts. I mean't to do a 'border run' to get my passport stamped but I failed and on leaving the country I was fined £50 or something.

I think I enjoyed the northern city of Chaing Mai the best. Take the night train from Bangkok (book a couple of days in advance and go first class, not third class like I did and have chickens and goats for company). Make sure you in Chaing Mai for market day and if your into it go 'downhill mountain biking'. When I was there a american thrill seeker had set up his own business there because nowhere in the world (according to him other than south america) can you cycle downhill for 20-30km. Just utterly amazing.. I went 5 days on the trot and it never gets boring.

Downhill MTB

No matter where you go there are always dangers. I found Thailand no more dangerous than any other country I have been to including the UK. I spent 6 weeks backpacking through the country and never saw anything untoward. I think that getting run over is the biggest danger.

eznfrank

posted on 3/9/12 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
I spent a month in Thailand back end of last year (when it had the worst flooding for 75 years!!! When we entered Thailand they did not ask to see proof of return flight, in fact I don't think they asked us anything at all and just stamped us a 30 day visa. I guess as a parent it must be nerve wracking but what they're doing sounds fairly standard stuff that thousands of travellers their age do every year. I have a friend who went travelling and decided she liked Thailand so stayed for 3 years and just did visa runs over the border when needed - not ideal but beats the rainy UK. I'd also agree with Irony, we did a month out there and never felt intimidated or threatened or in any danger - of course dangers exist everywhere but on the whole i'd feel much safer wandering round bangkok at 3am than London.

Irony - we loved Chiang Mai too, much nicer than the South and beach areas. We're off away travelling for another 6 months in less than 4 weeks taking in India, Nepal, China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia, Indonesia and Japan, can't fecking wait!!

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Thanx for the info Hector

So basically the max they can stay without work permit is 90 days? But if they went to Laos for a period & then came back that could be extended? Have I got that right?

But what about this business of not being able to get into the country in the first place without a return ticket within the 30 day period, do they have to book flights to return & then change them once they are in Thailand?

They can stay in Thailand initially for 30 days as tourists, As I said and others too, no return ticket is really needed, but again it will depend on the mood of the border guard at immigration, and to get in no work permit is needed as a tourist, even for work its not initially needed, I went in to work on a Non-immigrant "B" (business) visa for a year without a work permit.

it used to be that you could get an extension from immigration in BKK (Bangkok) but since the change (to generate money) everyone must step out of the country and apply for a re-entry visa.

I left due to the University I was at getting flooded, its not fully operation yet and that nearly a year since the flooding.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

BenB

posted on 3/9/12 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I also did the trip to Thailand. You can apply for a longer visa at the Thai embassy in London. I got a 90 day visa there. I only used just over 30 days. Crazy place. Tell them to be careful on the mopeds- I've got a nice little "Ko Samui tattoo" [read 5 inch scar on my arm] after falling off a moped when drunk (& the rest!). And if they go to a full moon party they need to take it easy on the little buckets of joy! There were far too many farangs passed out on the beach at sunrise the next morning- I hardly had any room for myself Worst hangover ever after that one!

If you were a bit busy partying to get a visa extension it was possible to leave your passport with a friendly bus driver who was going to Cambodia or Laos and magically you went somewhere you'ld never gone to. Of course you might never see it again! And I believe that it might be illegal. Not sure on the technicalities of that one

It's worth them knowing that if people approach offering illicit substances they're usually policemen and will happily lock you up until you pay a "fine" (read bribe). Back in the day it was pretty cheap but it's getting more and more expensive! Though that's probably not the kind of discussion you want with your daughter!

Personally if I went again I'd spend all my time in Ko Tao for the scuba action. Cheap and a beautiful place to spend a few weeks- Mango Bay is highly recommended. I went there with my wife for three weeks the second time I went to Thailand. As you might imagine the requirements of the second trip were slightly different to the needs of the first

I still love the Khao San Road in Bangkok. It's like a smack in the face every time- hot, noisy, smelly and crowded. Add in a bit of jet lag and it's an amazing experience!

The thing I learned from Thailand is laws is: there to protect the stupid. In the absence of laws (or ones that are applied anyway) stupid people get to do stupid things. I include myself in that group. Thankfully I came out alive and am now quite fond of laws!

russbost

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
As ever, many thanx for all the info guys.

It would appear that it's not straightforward at any rate, just hope it all turns out ok for her.

Irony

posted on 4/9/12 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
I agree with BenB about the law. UK laws and safety regulations are there to prevent stupid people from doing stupid things. If they want to dig a huge hole in the pavement in thailand they do. I saw a 10ft across, 10ft deep hole with one cone dug in the middle of a pavement. If you fall down it, look where your going next time. Those are Thai rules.

I saw a bloke carrying a 47kg gas bottle on a moped. The police didn't stop him. If he falls off and hurts himself then tough. If he falls off and hurts someone else then the rules are tough!!!!!!

It's chaos but it kinda works

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.