Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Le Mans 24 Hours - How much?!
imagineer

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Le Mans 24 Hours - How much?!

Is it possible for two blokes to drive to Le Mans 24 Hours, park-up and pitch a tent for 4 nights, without spending £700 before you've bought your first beer?
gdp66

posted on 8/10/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Quite a few off site campsites, which are cheaper and quieter.
Depends what your after.

http://en.chateau-de-chanteloup.com/24-hours-of-le-mans-le-mans-classic/
http://www.lepontromain.com/

FASTdan

posted on 8/10/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Absolutely?! Shouldn't be costing anywhere near that?

We've done it twice and granted we were a large party of 10/12 and I'd say before beer/food/fuel the price was £180'ish per head. And that was doing the not-so-cheap route of the Hull overnight crossing - so if you skip that and do the straight Dover route I suspect you'd achieve similar costs.

Think we were on Karting Nord last time which seemed a good campsite for reasonable money.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
lewis

posted on 8/10/12 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Stayed at Porsche curves with travel destinations this year cost £330 pp all in,only food beer & fuel on top.

[Edited on 8/10/12 by lewis]

I am a driving god!..........sort of

chillis

posted on 8/10/12 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lewis
Stayed at Porsche curves with travel destinations this year cost £330 pp all in,only food beer & fuel on top.

[Edited on 8/10/12 by lewis]

So that's £660 plus fuel, getting close to that £700 figure

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/10/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I thought the ACO camping tickets were about £80 approx, general admission about £30, so thats about £140. Ferry under £100.

I know people get stiffed with the resellers big time. My advice think about joining the ACO, you get a few handy perks and discounted tickets. Use of the main stands is always handy (excellent bogs in there)

cliftyhanger

posted on 8/10/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.speedchills.com/le-mans-24-hours/on-circuit-camping/prices

that is a reseller, about £400 for 2..........

ceebmoj

posted on 8/10/12 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
This year I stayed hear.

http://motorsport-tours.com/detail.asp?TourID=MT100002

It was a 15 minuet walk to the circuit, good showers, good toilets and got some sleep (not sure how inportant the last bit is to you)

ChrisW

posted on 8/10/12 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
The trip I organised last year was £188 per person for race ticket, campsite and channel tunnel.

On top of that you'd need fuel (£140 in my diesel Audi) and tolls of about £60. I make that under £600 for two sharing. Anything I've forgotten?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ceebmoj

posted on 8/10/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
The trip I organised last year was £188 per person for race ticket, campsite and channel tunnel.

On top of that you'd need fuel (£140 in my diesel Audi) and tolls of about £60. I make that under £600 for two sharing. Anything I've forgotten?

Chris

food?

greenwood03

posted on 8/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
yes you can def do it for less than that - like all things depends on what you want, and how clued up you are.....
that said i have arranged 3 tours to LM and it know that the total cost PP is a smidge under 850....BUT for that we: have 24 hr site security on a private camping enclosure with therefore priovate showers/loos and a marquee with beer + tv, we also pay a premium because we wnat electric......AND the cost is slightly distorted because we take a van with just 2 people travelling as well as the cars.....meaning higher petrol/ferry cost than shoving 3-4 people in a car.
that figure includes luterally everything, we take all food, bbq and shedloads of beer to save messing around when down therte, and includes enough spending money for meals out daytime and trackside beers and the helicopter ride.

top tip.....dont bother getting all or any of teh entrance tickets from the resellers, join the ACO, that gives you discounted tickets - i think from memory up to 5 per member and access to the ACO private enclosure which is handy if its carp weather....an ACO member can sign in 3-4 guests for a measely e15 or so.....AND if you recommend a pal to join the ACO you get a E20 fuel voucher.

watch e/tunnel or the ferries for deals and jump on them as early as poss. and personal preference, choose a camp site that isnt too much of a hike from teh main entrance.....

as a rough guess 2 ppl in 1 car shd be a smidge less than £400, crossing, camping, entrance, fuel....

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

gtr_garner

posted on 22/10/12 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
We are booking in to the Houx annex campsite this year, will be around £115 each inc entrance tickets.
Ferry is looking to be around £100 each tops.

What i was wondering is has anyone taken their kit car down?
im thinking of taking the GT1 which has a busa engine in it, i just wondered whether anyone could roughly estimate the fuel usage?
I havent really driven mine enough to get a rough mpg estimation on a consistant 70mph ish journey. Id have thought it would be atleast 20-25mpg right considering the weight but allowing for the higher rpm (about 6500rpm at 70mph)

I can take my 335d but would be pretty cool to go in the GT1.

[Edited on 22/10/12 by gtr_garner]

FASTdan

posted on 22/10/12 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gtr_garner
We are booking in to the Houx annex campsite this year, will be around £115 each inc entrance tickets.

im thinking of taking the GT1 which has a busa engine in it, i just wondered whether anyone could roughly estimate the fuel usage?
I havent really driven mine enough to get a rough mpg estimation on a consistant 70mph ish journey. Id have thought it would be atleast 20-25mpg right considering the weight but allowing for the higher rpm (about 6500rpm at 70mph)

Not really much of a comparison but I drove the Indy (2.3 Duratec, bike carbs) down and it averaged 35+mpg mostly 70-85mph.

NEW danST WEBSITE NOW LIVE! Bike carbs, throttle bodies and more......

http://www.danstengineering.co.uk/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
gtr_garner

posted on 22/10/12 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that
can you remember what kind of rpm that was at?
I think i should be alright and it not be hugely OTT i will be happy with over 25-30mpg to be honest!

Ive just increased the rear sprocket slightly but every little helps!

jossey

posted on 22/10/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Cost me and my mate £350 including euro tunnel camping and fuel in the tintop.

[Edited on 22/10/12 by jossey]

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gtr_garner

posted on 22/10/12 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
is that each im assuming?
if not wow you did well ha

wheezy

posted on 6/11/12 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

I've taken the Spire GTR over for the last few years. I get about 25mpg at a reasonable speed on the motorways. Only down side is the lack of space for camping equipment and getting soaked in some of the heavy rain we had on the journey.
You will certainly turn a few heads if you do take the GT1.

gtr_garner

posted on 6/11/12 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
I can live with 25mpg or thereabouts

Yeah I know what you mean about the rain, had to drive it back from filming in what can only be described as a typhoon ha, not fun but liveable.
There are about 10 cars that I'm going with so space isn't too much of an issue, trying to find a passenger to share the fuel costs with is another matter

sylva_phoenix

posted on 20/12/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol price is the killer. Cheaper to fly there, but then you miss the best bit of the event!
gtr_garner

posted on 20/12/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'm all booked up to go now.
I have a passenger so can split the costs but the 17l tank or whatever it is is going to be a killer.
I've been doing some mileage tests and it isn't too bad so far.

Got a couple of jerry cans which we are going to put in other cars for the journey.
All costs so far come to £160 for ferry, entrance and camping for 4 days so hopefully my costs individually shouldn't be more than £350-£400

My problem is is that I have the gatebil run 2 weeks after which is going to be a fortune ha

Simon

posted on 21/12/12 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sylva_phoenix
Petrol price is the killer. Cheaper to fly there, but then you miss the best bit of the event!

Might be if you go on your own.

I reckon get a decent sized diesel car and have 5 peeps sharing.

According to viamichelin Calais to Le Mans is 265 miles + 100 this side being 365 x 2 = 730/40mpg = 18 gallons @ £6.50 =

Fuel £120/5 peeps = £24/head
Tolls £46/5 = £9/head
Food/drink £15/head/day
Eurotunnel £100/5 = £20
+ entry tkt £?

There you go, under a £100 (ex entry ticket) each.

Ah, camping - I slept in a sleeping bag on a grass verge in car park. Cost nothing - was 1985 though

ATB

Simon

Simon

posted on 21/12/12 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I'm all booked up to go now.
Got a couple of jerry cans which we are going to put in other cars for the journey.

Customs will ask you about the jerry cans!

ATB

Simon

gtr_garner

posted on 21/12/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Only if the car carrying it gets searched. Lol

I need someone to carry one so will have to deal with it as it comes along ha

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.