Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The 50 worst cars of all time
inkafone

posted on 24/2/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
The 50 worst cars of all time

It's an American site but makes interesting reading - http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/0,28757,1658545,00.html
Simon

posted on 24/2/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
A bit rich, the yanks even coming up with a list that could contain entirely american tin given the utter shite they (still) produce.

Eg Morgan Plus 8 propane, yep stupid idea but why was it done - er, american emmissions I suspect. So even that, when you get down to the basics, was their idea

ATB

Simon

atm92484

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Picking on cars prior to the mid-50s isn't really fair. Technology then economics really limited what could be done world-wide.

The U.S. alone has built enough pure crap since then to fill an entire list of 50. The fact that "muscle cars" from the late 70s and 80s had less than 200 horsepower is pathetic. Then there is the mini-van my parents had when I was a kid; it was less than 5 years old when they sold it and it was on its third automatic transmission (nice work Chrysler). To this day Ford is the only domestic company I'd consider buying anything new from; GM and Chrysler products are abominations.

I can't take that list seriously since the MGA and the Elite are both on it and both are excellent classic sports cars. Heck I would even defend the Corvair (even though it is a GM product) since it was a move in the right direction. If people were not ham-fisted drivers, understood the simple laws of physics, and knew how to properly inflate tires it never would have been an issue.

[Edited on 24/2/13 by atm92484]

-Andrew
Build Log

morcus

posted on 24/2/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
Do you think they made this list really contravertial on purpose? I mean there are some truely brilliant and revolutionary cars on that list, I mean the multipla is an excelent example, they even say the car worked really well and that it's there because it's ugly.

I didn't read them all but from what I did most of these cars have never been driven by the journalist and some seem to be judged with no account being take of their intended purpose. And why isn't the Beetle on this list? That was ugly, drove badly and old fashioned at point of release?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Ninehigh

posted on 24/2/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
They've put the Model T on there because it was successful?

RK

posted on 24/2/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
The one that makes all the lists is the Edsel. I find that highly odd, because it looks very similar to every other large tank of the era. It just didn't sell, so people assume the "commercial" failure equaled an "overall" failure, which to me is a very different thing. Have to say, I hated the Bricklin and the Delorean, but full marks for trying. They look terrible in the flesh by the way.

The SUV came along because it, and all the like vehicles, are classified in the US (and Canada) as "trucks", therefore do not have to meet the same safety standards as all the "cars". This makes money hand over fist for the companies involved, so are promoted before and more heavily, than anything else. They also tend to give the drivers a birds eye view of the road, with the illusion of safety (absolutely false of course, when you look at accident statistics and injuries) which women, particularly, seem to like. What do you know, they are the most popular vehicles sold!

coyoteboy

posted on 25/2/13 at 12:51 AM Reply With Quote
Nice to see nothing bad produced between 1986 and 1995. Was that the hay-day of automotive engineering?
quote:

They also tend to give the drivers a birds eye view of the road

Driving a big-ass 4x4 does give a really nice view of the road and if you're careful and don't drive it like a car it can give a distinct advantage and a really nice ability to view much more of the road way ahead of the drivers around you. However most people seem to drive them like cars and they don't stop/corner/go like cars! Out of the few cars I've been in accidents in (note, not "caused", the "best" were in the big old classic rangerover - stuff just bounces off if something immovable doesn't pick a fight with you. Twice we were hit from behind while stopped at lights, both times the other party's car was a write-off and the RR had slight scratches to the bumper, occupants bearly felt the impact. But likewise I've experienced the "oil-tanker" braking distance of the very same car. Had a near identical rear-ending in a peugeot 205 (similar speeds, similar sized car) and ended up with whiplash.

Similarly I know someone who smudged the back of a faux-by-four with a hilux surf (faux-by-four out-braked the surf who was following a bit close with mud tyres (not normally used on-road), in a situation caused by oncoming driver - surf bailed "through" the other car and up the empty footway), the damage to the faux-by-four was fairly high and the surf had a new wing and a bit of filler on the bonnet. The child in the back of the surf didn't wake throughout!

There's plenty of occasions where a 4x4 is a very handy car to have in a collision.

[Edited on 25/2/13 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.