Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: recommendations or advice on FIA or snell approved helmet please
daniel mason

posted on 23/8/13 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
recommendations or advice on FIA or snell approved helmet please

hi guys. i need an approved helmet if i make the jump to sprints next year and was wanting some help. i have a suit,boots, and gloves already and a cheap caberg v2 helmet which i use on track.
i bought an approved bell classic helmet because i really liked the style of it. but as soon as i put it on i was aware the field of vision was seriously restricted compared to the cheaper one i have and it was really affecting me on track. i have since sold it but would like something relatively cheap,good quality,light, second hand would be best (is i feel i will get better quality for the money) but with large visor and good visibility!
any ideas on make and model of something suitable? cheers

designer

posted on 23/8/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I would never use a second hand helmet.
You should do the rounds of suppliers and try as many as you can to see which fits and feels comfortable.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 23/8/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
they are very expensive new. so i thought an as new second hand one would be better!

beaver34

posted on 23/8/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
i have a v2 sport i like it and its quite cheap
Canada EH!

posted on 23/8/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you don't know the history of a helmet don't wear it, that gray area inside the helmet controls were the race car goes and how you walk and talk protect it with the best you can afford.
unijacko67

posted on 24/8/13 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
If you don't know the history of a helmet don't wear it, that gray area inside the helmet controls were the race car goes and how you walk and talk protect it with the best you can afford.

Also counts for brakes, fire eater, cage, harnesses, fuel tank, and so on, the most important nut in any car is the one behind the wheel.

http://www.kittenkitcar.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
deeceee09

posted on 24/8/13 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
These seem good value but I have no experience of them myself. Personally I would spend time trying to get the best fit possible.

http://www.hedtec.co.uk/hedtec_helmet-xtreme2.htm

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 27/8/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I found the V2 good value, but had to acquire another type fitted with h.a.n.s. posts I purchased a new one from Hedtec and have been extremely pleased in the last 2 seasons doing FIA sanctioned events in France. It cost me just over £250, but what is your head worth, £10 head, = £10 helmet. Buying second hand is the worse thing you can do. It may have been repeatedly knocked and may have a crack in the shell. A coat of paint will cover a multitude of sins but could cost you your life or you could become a burden on your family for the rest of your life.....
CNHSS1

posted on 27/8/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
V2, Hedtec and similar are all OK for sprinting but whilst I dont go with the 'cheap head, cheap lid' they arent the same qaulity of fittings such as the cheek pads, strap andlining. On day one this is no big deal but after a season they are a bit manky.

I bought a OMP GP7 from YB Racing recently for spribts/hills, my last lid being condemned by clerk of the course after a big accident at Prescott.
Great field of vision, latest Snell 2010 rating. Its as light as many of the mega expensive lids I tried and has the same quality fittings (visor, visor fittings, linings, cheek pads etc) and the comfiest lid ive ever worn.
Theres a Hans option version too.

Worth a look

As for being a burden to my family, my wifes says I always havebeen... must remind her shes the 'current' Mrs Hughes lol

[Edited on 27/8/13 by CNHSS1]

[Edited on 27/8/13 by CNHSS1]

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

daniel mason

posted on 27/8/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
do you know what the difference between the 7 and 7s are? or is it just the hans posts?
and out of interest.why did you buy from there when they are nearly £50 less at demon tweeks,with free postage via ebay? or are they not the same? cheers

CNHSS1

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Tweeks have advertised them since feb, and hadnt had more than a handful in june when I bought. I suspect they artificially limit the supply to sell other makes/more profitable models etc.
Their ebay shop showed stock, but they had none and their site said limited suplly until april iirc. Im a pole position member and still couldnt get one thru them. I use tweeks as im reasonably local and they are a good bunch of guys, but waited 2-3 months & was just too long

Anyway, irrespective of supplier, I thought it was a good lid at a competitive price and seems well made.

7s and 7k are same except hans and non hans. Non hans is predrilled so could be fitted at a later date by a qualified fitment centre.

I looked at a few arai (my swede is the wring shape it seems, tight across the forehead bit like the V2) and a couple of sparco and Bell. All seemed great quality although some were 200-300 quid more and no obvious fit spec improvements. Most of the high end lids seemed to have smaller visor apertures, must be pro drivers need to see less than me lol

I would suggest trying a few on ( I tried at least a dozen) before buying, sizing was surprisingly different between makes although models seemed to track the same within a range

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

andyps

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Bell Mag 1, I tried the Hedtek but it was just the wrong shape for my head - the Bell is much better. I agree with all the posts about not getting a second hand helmet, the savings aren't worth it in my view.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

andyps

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
I got a Bell Mag 1, I tried the Hedtek but it was just the wrong shape for my head - the Bell is much better. I agree with all the posts about not getting a second hand helmet, the savings aren't worth it in my view.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

mazie

posted on 30/8/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I have a snell 2010 Kevlar/fibreglass from blackcat helmets, its nomex lined and removable if you get sweaty! Gets two thumbs up from me after many hours spent inside
Cost £125

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.