Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Cutting steel plate at home
Slimy38

posted on 31/10/13 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Cutting steel plate at home

Just a quick question, has anyone got any recommendations for cutting steel plate in the absence of any big machinery? What's the maximum thickness of steel that can realistically be cut with a hacksaw, or perhaps a cutting disc on an angle grinder? I do have a jigsaw but as I've only ever cut wood with it I'm not sure if that's any better than a hacksaw?
pekwah1

posted on 31/10/13 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
well i've cut through 10-15mm steel with my hacksaw, took a while but i don't have any power in the garage!
Don't think there's any limit for a hacksaw, just until it's blunt!

Hacksaw is not a lot different, but quicker. There's a tendancy for the cut not to be as good with a hacksaw and it's more important to have the right blade for the job

mark chandler

posted on 31/10/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
9" angle grinder, let the blade do the work do not push hard and hold tightly in case it snatches.

Boring, noisy and smelly

Jigsaw, quality blade and lube
Really boring, not so noisy and cleaner

By hand
Groan, there must be a better way.

big_wasa

posted on 31/10/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Grinder and plasma cutter
mcerd1

posted on 31/10/13 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
depends how good a cut you want I guess....

most jigsaws I've seen are only rated for thin metal, you'll be able to cut thicker by hand with a hacksaw, but its hard to cut fancy shapes with a hacksaw

a thin cutting disc on the grinder is probably the answer for most things, but again its hard to do complex shapes

a gas torch is fairly easy to get hold of and will do quite thick steel and any shape cut you like - but its not very neat (plasma is neater but costs a lot more)

how thick would you like to cut ?

what sort of shapes / sizes of plate are you talking about ?

-

nick205

posted on 31/10/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Chain drilling a series of small holes can help with thicker material. The hacksawing is then much easier, but the finishing afterwards will be hard work.

Smoking Frog

posted on 31/10/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
A thin cutting disc in the grinder works for me. Hacksaw works better with some WD40. I wouldn't use a jigsaw for thick stuff, blunts the blade too quickly.
Slimy38

posted on 31/10/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The main cut will be a 6mm plate, but a 200mm wide circle with a second 180mm circle inside it (like a really big washer!). I was actually thinking about cutting four semi circles and welding them back together, or even getting some 30mm strip metal to build it up in even more sections. But whichever way it's going to be a curve to cut, and I suspect I'll need the angle grinder to finish the job.
Canada EH!

posted on 31/10/13 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful were the sparks fly when using a grinder and cut off wheel.

I wasn't paying attention and now have a pair of coveralls and a pair of jeans with large burn holes, caught it just before I started smoking.

Slimy38

posted on 31/10/13 at 02:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Canada EH!
Be careful were the sparks fly when using a grinder and cut off wheel.

I wasn't paying attention and now have a pair of coveralls and a pair of jeans with large burn holes, caught it just before I started smoking.

Ah, I'm really skilled at grinder sparks, I seem to be able to get them to land on whatever sawdust or other kindling is lying around. Even if the sawdust pile is actually behind me and the size of a ten pence piece!

mark chandler

posted on 31/10/13 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
You have a welder, if you can run an arc gouging rod you can burn it out, loads of sparks and fun.
mcerd1

posted on 31/10/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
if you want a nice neat circle I'd just get it laser/waterjet cut for you

most places won't charge that much to do it....

-

hkp57

posted on 31/10/13 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you already have the plate I would say look for your local blacksmith or small fabrications shop, Have a chat and I am sure they would cut it while you wait. neater job and a tenner well spent i would say.
NigeEss

posted on 31/10/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Rough it out with a 1mm cutting disc in the grinder then finish in a lathe.

Or quicker and easier, do as others suggested and get it laser/water cut.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Slimy38

posted on 31/10/13 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
if you want a nice neat circle I'd just get it laser/waterjet cut for you

most places won't charge that much to do it....

Aha, you've just reminded me my brother in law has a nice new laser, I wonder if he'd be up for having a go at metal cutting...

I don't have access to a lathe, and I only have MIG welder so arc gouging is out unfortunately.

I haven't actually bought the plate yet so I'll have a look at getting it made up first, that might be the simplest option.

jps

posted on 31/10/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
for the bother it'll be I'd definitely find someone to do that for me, rather than attempt it with hand tools/ domestic power tools.
tegwin

posted on 31/10/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
I routinely cut 16mm plate with a jigsaw.... Slow cut and slow feed, even managed quite tight turns..... Hold on though because it doesn't half kick if it catches!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Slimy38

posted on 31/10/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
I routinely cut 16mm plate with a jigsaw.... Slow cut and slow feed, even managed quite tight turns..... Hold on though because it doesn't half kick if it catches!!

Do you have any recommendation for brands of blade, or even particular types?

gto1973

posted on 13/11/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
this isnt really for what u want but there are steel cutting blades you can get to go on your skillsaw good for straight lines im talkn steel ones not the alloy ones few engineers i know use then for cuttung up yar pipes they got tungsten tips put on and make metal fly!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.