Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it Possible to use later Donor Instruments?
John P

posted on 11/1/14 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Is it Possible to use later Donor Instruments?

Just thinking about instruments and, as I’m trying to do things at the lowest possible cost, was looking into the possibility of using donor instruments, possibly from a later vehicle.

I’m using Megajolt ignition so presumably should be able to pick up a suitable signal for the tacho from either this or the EDIS module but my MT75 gearbox has a cable output so I assume I’d have a problem using most later instruments where the speedo is electronic and (I think) probably needs the original ECU to work.

Has anyone used donor instruments successfully and if so do you have any photos?

John.

britishtrident

posted on 11/1/14 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John P
Just thinking about instruments and, as I’m trying to do things at the lowest possible cost, was looking into the possibility of using donor instruments, possibly from a later vehicle.

I’m using Megajolt ignition so presumably should be able to pick up a suitable signal for the tacho from either this or the EDIS module but my MT75 gearbox has a cable output so I assume I’d have a problem using most later instruments where the speedo is electronic and (I think) probably needs the original ECU to work.

Has anyone used donor instruments successfully and if so do you have any photos?

John.

On most late model cars all the instruments are ECU driven rather than by values from the sensors.

[Edited on 11/1/14 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

deezee

posted on 11/1/14 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used Sierra instruments. First tacho had loads of problems as the original donor was using flyback off the coil and despite following the twin diode plans on Megajolt website, it was intermittent at best. I swapped over the module in the instrument panel, for a later model tacho and this works fine, running off the Megajolt.
My speedo is cable driven, but if you move to an electronic one, just get the electronic sensor off the gearbox to go with it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.