Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: iPad 7.0 update gone wrong
steve m

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
iPad 7.0 update gone wrong

Hi

I HAD to update my iPad, as phone and pad, as neither not updated for a looong time, and refused to work
So, did it all last night, and my phone is fine, but the iPad has changed all its properties, and the icons are weird,
and Wifey HATES it so much now and refuses to use it, until ive restored it to the old operating system

Problem is, ive tried, and cant !

Why do these F ing idiots change stuff around, so much, and all for the better ?? err no !

I have to admit, that the way the ipad is configured now, I would not use it either, so unless I can fix/repair the problem
it will be smashed up, and I will buy a Kindle Fire, on insurance

Steve

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Ben_Copeland

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stop whining and just use it. Once you use it you'll find it's actually better

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

NigeEss

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
I believe it is impossible to roll back an update on iThings.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

Wadders

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ben_Copeland
Stop whining and just use it. Once you use it you'll find it's actually better

^ This,
I hated it too at first, but soon got used to it, don't even remember the old version now.

Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Apple = sh**e

aI have both i-phone 4s (horrible battery life) and an ipad for work purposes and they are both just so slow, laggy and just plan bug ridden refusing to work sometimes

whereas my galaxy note phone and my nexus 7 tablet are just a breeze to operate no drama just like it says on the tin, as it should be.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

steve m

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Ben!

I can understand moving with the times, and updates will always be required.
But why change the whole ethos of the system, just so some it numpty gets a pay rise, to the detriment of
the end user ?

I would like to see any comments of any others who have HAD to update, and will now have a piece of shite
that needs relearning, just to achieve what yesterday, was easy

My Wife is not a very good PC person, and still uses a an old Nokia phone, and is quite comfortable in that era
Now, she has an iPad, that is unusable

The unusable part is just the start of the problem, as in the update, she has lost EVERY single book that was stored
and the kindle app, will now not read the old books, as they are not in the correct format

Also Yahoo will not work in the new operating system at all, and that's were both our emails are
It also appears that ebay does not work either, but ive yet to try it out, (just wifey telling me)

so is this progress ??

Imagine if NASA did the same update after Apollo 10 ???

Apollo 11 would never of got to the moon

Steve

[Edited on 22/1/14 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

Brett Jones

posted on 22/1/14 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
I hated it too when I upgraded to ios 7, but after a bit of googling and a few hours later it looked and felt almost the same as ios 6.

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

craig1410

posted on 22/1/14 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like you've not backed up your settings before upgrading. You can either do this via cable to iTunes or via WiFi to iCloud. When you did the upgrade it would have recommended that you back up first. Do you recall that bit? Maybe you have a back up but just haven't restored it? As others have said, it's not easy to go back to the previous iOS version and even if you could, you would be limiting your future use of the iPad as some apps already require iOS7. Recent stats show that over 75% of iOS users have already upgraded to iOS7.

If you have a backup then the iOS6 to iOS7 upgrade is a doddle. I've upgraded probably a dozen different devices for family and friends and the settings are all preserved including email settings and icon positions etc. You just backup, upgrade, restore. Takes about 15 minutes usually.

iOS7 is a bit different to begin with but you soon get used to it and as someone else said above, it is much much better in almost all areas. That said, there are some people who have low tolerance for change (not judging, just recognising) and it sounds like that might be part of your problem here, especially for your wife. I've got some friends who are like that too and always complain about "change for change's sake". There's more going on behind the scenes though and the real benefits of the new design will only emerge in due course as developers take advantage of them.

My best advice is to visit an Apple retail store or premium reseller (eg. Storm Front) and see if they can help you get things set back up (ie. email etc). There are too many variables for me to help you directly and to be honest I don't have the patience to help someone with a full setup job unless I can get my hands on the device directly. I've learned this lesson over the years...

If you do go to an Apple store then take along detail of your email accounts and passwords and anything else which isn't working for you now. Alternatively, have a go at it yourself and if you have any specific problem then feel free to give me a shout. I don't mind at all helping with specific questions or complaints just not the open-ended setup process.

Best,
Craig.

Texan

posted on 23/1/14 at 02:57 AM Reply With Quote
I have 2 iphones, one with 7 and one not. I've had it that way for some time now and I absolutely hate 7.

i don't like the way it looks or the way it works.

I refuse to update my iPad too.

There's a lot of sentiment that way so I've been told by people at the Apple store to expect a 7 upgrade that brings back "some of the better features" of the older system. That is the #1 complaint they get.

I drive therefore I am.

ashg

posted on 23/1/14 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
if you do the incremental updates as they come out its not such a big change. you are your own worst enemy as doing them all in one hit usually results in a big change.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

britishtrident

posted on 23/1/14 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
The way to update an iPhone is buy an Android

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

nick205

posted on 23/1/14 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
What was it they said...don't fight it feel it

iOS 7 is fine, looks and feels better IMHO

nick205

posted on 23/1/14 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Android is better or worse than iOS from the general user perspective, just different. I appreciate Android is more open in terms of developer access than iOS though.

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 23/1/14 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

As is said, just a different perspective. I've had most phones over the years, including Blackberry, Android, iPhones etc. and I can see why each unit has its advantages over the others. Blackberry is great for work and the only device that meets the standards of UK Government secure IT servers, Android (from what I remember) seems to have more widespread interaction with apps and developer-functionality, but iPhones are an Apple product. I use a Mac, I have an iPhone, iPod, iPad, Airtunes, and they all sync together perfectly. But that's just how Apple products work.

Same really as saying "You can buy any old MP3 player that will play your music fine", but it's not the branded iPod that's been around for years.

Think of it like Marmite....

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

craig1410

posted on 23/1/14 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
It makes me laugh because before iOS 7 came out, people were complaining that Apple hadn't made any significant changes to iOS since 2007 and it really needed an overhaul. Then they brought out iOS 7 and the vocal minority started waving their hands in the air because they had made these changes. Damned if you do and damned if you don't it seems.

Regardless of what someone at an Apple store told @Texan above, they won't be bringing back iOS 6 "features" any time soon. Firstly, the Apple store staff probably know no more about it than me (an iOS developer) and I know next to nothing about Apple's plans other than what I pick up from some of the better connected journalists and bloggers. What will certainly happen is that Apple will refine and iterate on iOS 7 and help developers to use the new and existing features to make better apps. In fact an official spokesperson from Apple has confirmed that a fix for a bug which causes the home screen to reload is being worked on and that will likely be release in iOS 7.1. I got iOS 7.1 Beta 4 a few days ago and it is likely to go through a few more Beta releases before release to the public but should be available in early March I'd say.

Most people don't appreciate the difficulty of making large changes to an operating system which is used by hundreds of millions of users worldwide, most of whom will upgrade to the new OS within a few weeks of each other on iPhones and iPads bought up to 2 or 3 years previously. Android devices are much less of a problem because people don't tend to upgrade to new operating systems, partly due to the fact that mobile carriers are involved in that process which is not the case with Apple. Even the logistics of millions of people simultaneously downloading the iOS update on release day causes the internet itself serious stress. I'm not kidding by the way.

Apple have to walk a fine line between progress, usability and security. They want to release new features but they need to work and need to be usable (not gimmicks like with some others) and need to maintain the security of the system. Android have a different approach which unfortunately leaves them open to security problems as shown in this recent report by Cisco networks. As you will see it says, "99% of all mobile malware in 2013 targeted Android devices"

http://www.cisco.com/web/offers/lp/2014-annual-security-report/index.html

Here's a chart from Google themselves showing the version fragmentation in Android. Only 1.4% of devices are using the latest version of android:
http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/index.html

Whereas you'll see a very different story for iOS here with 83.5% of iPhone devices and 76% of iPad devices on the latest version:
http://david-smith.org/iosversionstats/

For most iOS users, this means that their devices which they bought 1, 2 or even 3 years ago will gain useful new features and security fixes for free. The vast majority seem to be happy with this but there will always be some who don't like change and in many ways those people might be better off with Android devices because Apple will always be a forward looking company and are pretty fearless about leaving the past behind. That is one of the things I like most about Apple but each to their own.

C.

steve m

posted on 23/1/14 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
Craig

I appreciate the time you have dedicated, in your replies,

I am 99% sure the backup was done properly, but could be wrong!

I at mid 50's and wife in her 60's will fall into a bracket of users who do not like change,
It took me a while to get to grips with an iphone, from my old easy to use Nokia, but now, its fine

we, have vastly more important life styles than to muck about re learning the wheel, when the system we used filled our needs
perfectly yesterday, this coupled with neither of us are interested in PC stuff

Same as when we went from windows 98-2000 and theXP excetera, but VISTA, got installed lasted a week, and XP brought back
and that was at Work ! No one could use it, let alone with it at home

Changes will always be needed, but some appear to be just fluffy things, that have no relevence to the end result

A small example of a work issue we have had for the last 6 ish years, we always used Lotus notes for everything, and it did everything
we required, company decide to get rid of it, and replace it with outlook,
But Outlook does not fill our requirments, so Lotus notes is still used daily for functions that the new much better Outlook is in capable off,
To me this is not a progression,

I know my Wife will have to get used to the iPad format, and the books thing i think may of been resolved, but Yahoo does not work
The iPad issue for me, is not really a problem, as for one, im never allowed MY iPad, and secondly, i would much rather be sat at a desk
with a proper keyboard and screen

regards

Steve

craig1410

posted on 23/1/14 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not a problem, I type pretty fast so it doesn't take me long to reply.

I'm not sure that resistance to change is purely an age related thing but it is certainly affected by whether you see the device as a "necessary evil" or something that you actually care about. Since my career revolves around these devices, I am in the latter category but there is nothing wrong with just viewing them as a tool to get a job done.

I used to use Lotus Notes both when I worked at IBM and then later at another company. Lots of people were very attached to it and I would agree that in many ways, Outlook is a poor substitute.

I see no reason why Yahoo won't work for you. My Dad uses BT/Yahoo for his email and it works just fine with his iPad. Phone up your ISP and ask them to help you set it up. Are you using the iPad's own mail application or are you using the Yahoo specific app (see here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/yahoo-mail/id577586159 )

If you're not using the Yahoo app then try this setup guide. http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/Setting-up-your-Yahoo-email-account-on-your-iPhone-or-iPad

Best of luck,
Craig.

dave_424

posted on 23/1/14 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
One of the main reasons for the update and overhaul is that each of the apple apps and menu systems were all made by different departments with no communication between each other about an overarching theme of the operating system. Everything was different, some app icons had borders, others had none, menus within apps were all different and the system looked no different than when the iphone was first released.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.