Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Small bike engine needed (125-250-ish)
ChrisW

posted on 18/3/14 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Small bike engine needed (125-250-ish)

Looking for a bike engine for my latest project. Fairly flexible as to what really.

Must be single cylinder 'upright' style, ie the engine is tall rather than long.

Must be electric start.

Probably air cooled for ease of install. I've seen oil cooled pit bike engines that look ok, but the wrong shape.

125cc upwards.

Something like a Honda CB250 or a CG125 (or copy) would be ideal. May consider a complete bike if priced right.

Reasonably close (<50 miles) to Aylesbury/Milton Keynes/West London or able to post/deliver.

What have you got?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
doddy

posted on 18/3/14 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
i have a kawasaki z200 engine complete with everything to run it
it was fitted to a go cart it a single 4 stoke electric start engine
im after £200 for it

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/4x4wheels

ChrisW

posted on 18/3/14 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds interesting! Can you post a pic of it and give me the dimensions please? Height from top of rocker cover to lowest point on sump is most important, as it maximum length, so I can check it will fit where I need it to.

Thanks, Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
doddy

posted on 18/3/14 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
ok i will sort it out tomorrow cheers ian

nick205

posted on 18/3/14 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Is this for your swivel steer lawn mower project Chris?

ChrisW

posted on 19/3/14 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Is this for your swivel steer lawn mower project Chris?

No. I've not been able to get hold of a Westwood Clipper front end yet. If/when I do I'll use a vertical shaft engine for that, possibly the original Westwood one if it's powerful enough.

Chris

My gaff my rules

doddy

posted on 19/3/14 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
hi i write out the size today but left the notes at work so will get them tomorrow
here is some pictures it was used on a go cart but changed for a upgreaded 2 stoke

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/street-fighterblade/photo26.jpg
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c363/street-fighterblade/photo3.jpg

im going to walthamstow on sunday i could bring it with me and meet up if you want a look

ChrisW

posted on 20/3/14 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Looks good in the pics, just need to get an idea of the size.

Out of interest, why did you feel the need to upgrade? For reasons that will become apparent, I need this project to be able to achieve >50mph. Consider it a go kart for the purpose of comparison. Do you think this engine will be suitably powerful?

Cheers, Chris

My gaff my rules

ChrisW

posted on 28/3/14 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone else got anything suitable cluttering up their garage?

Chris

My gaff my rules

big_wasa

posted on 6/4/14 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
You said "must be a single" I have a twin. Suzuki Gt200, I think.

Its come out of the lads kart as its just to lairy for an 8 and 14 year old. I am on the look out for a Honda Gx200 or one of its Chinese cousins

complete. ready to run.

[Edited on 6/4/14 by big_wasa]

[Edited on 7/4/2014 by ChrisW]

ChrisW

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
You said "must be a single" I have a twin. Suzuki Gt200, I think.

Thanks. I had assumed a twin would be too big, but that looks quite compact actually.

I assume it meets the other requirements? (I can hear the electric starter of course, and it looks pretty 'air cooled' in the video)

I will have a decent measure-up today as Doddy has now sent me dimensions of his z200. If there any chance you could do the same and give me the total height (most critical), width and length of the engine and, if possible, an approximate distance from the centre line to the output sprocket?

(Also, I fixed your YouTube link if you wondered why I edited your post)

Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 7/4/2014 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

MikeRJ

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Just so you are aware, the X5 is a two stroke so you'll need room for two separate exhausts (2 into 1 systems don't tend work well on two strokes). It makes about 23 bhp so should be easily capable of pushing a go kart size vehicle past 50mph.

I have an old X5 languishing at the back of my dads garage (buried in crap), and it was a really fun bike.

ChrisW

posted on 7/4/14 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
Just so you are aware, the X5 is a two stroke so you'll need room for two separate exhausts (2 into 1 systems don't tend work well on two strokes). It makes about 23 bhp so should be easily capable of pushing a go kart size vehicle past 50mph.

Ah yes, I hadn't considered the exhaust implications of using a two-stroke. Excuse my ignorance on the subject - I was never into bikes and therefore never learnt much about two stroke engines - but is it critical to 'tune' the exhaust length, have expansion boxes, etc? I'm sure I remember my bike owning mates talking about that, but quite possibly it was a load of rubbish!

Chris

My gaff my rules

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/14 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I will have a measure.

2 stroke tuning is s black art and to get the best from the engine it wants two tuned expansion chambers but even with the crude 2 into 1 it will propel you to 50.

At the lower end of your scale a 125 four stroke single will struggle to propel a kart to 50, they barley do 60 to start with. The z200 may be a better compromise.

ChrisW

posted on 7/4/14 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
I will have a measure.

2 stroke tuning is s black art and to get the best from the engine it wants two tuned expansion chambers but even with the crude 2 into 1 it will propel you to 50.

At the lower end of your scale a 125 four stroke single will struggle to propel a kart to 50, they barley do 60 to start with. The z200 may be a better compromise.

The design spec is accelerate to >30mph in 1/4 mile, but of course I would like to smash it if possible and do 50-60. I like the idea of a two-stroke to be honest as it sounds like the baseline performance will be adequate but more could be had if I have time and budget to mess around with tuned exhausts.

Chris

My gaff my rules

big_wasa

posted on 7/4/14 at 06:29 PM Reply With Quote

There is a cover that goes over the drive sprocket that contains the clutch mech (has one lug missing) not in picture.

Stella

posted on 7/4/14 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Small bike engine

Hi,
I have a 1989 Suzuki 125 with electric start in the shed that has not been used for a couple of years but was on the key when it was stored.
Was going to put it on eBay , but would take £150 for it.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.