Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Quaife or MNR reverse gearbox
The Venom Project

posted on 31/12/14 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Quaife or MNR reverse gearbox

I have an idea for adding a reverse onto a bike engined vehicle where the engine would be situated above the rear wheels.

I wondered if anyone had ever mounted a sprocket direct to the gearbox, instead of a propshaft?

I need a better reverse than a starter motor type, and wondered if this might be a possibility?

Cheers

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

coozer

posted on 31/12/14 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
A fwd gearbox you mean?

Maybe a doughnut between the bike output shaft and the gearbox first motion shaft?

Maybe I'm wrong with you mentioning a reverse box but using a fwd box will give you reverse with fourth being straight through 1:1 and fifth would give you a nice overdrive.

What's your plan exactly?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

theduck

posted on 31/12/14 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Think he means direct to the reverse gearbox
daniel mason

posted on 31/12/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
If the engines above the rear axle and you bolt a reverse box directly to the front sprocket adaptor, how are you going to drive the rear wheels and what's gonna happen to the COG in doing this?
The Venom Project

posted on 31/12/14 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
Well,

My plan is to have a vehicle I can drive anywhere and not really care too much about, I couldn't drive my TR1KE every day because of what it was, and didn't dare leave it out of sight.

So I have been looking at Blitzworld's buggies, Not a chinese poo tip, had one of those before, terrible build quality and dreadful full stop, had the Quadzilla 500 buggy.

I fancy making a Joyrider, they normally fit them out with car engines, but will accommodate any engine and offer a free fitting service for it and all its bits.

So I was planning on fitting something like a VTR Firestorm 108 BHP V-Twin engine, and to mate it to a reverse box, which like on an MNR would have a sliding propshaft coming off the sprocket adaptor, to the gearbox, in normal drive its a straight through system, when lever is engaged its a reverse box. MNR's version is much nicer than the Quaife I had fitted on my MNR, it has no friction at all,

The other option is I just buy a scrap car with a standard engine with reverse. Just fancied sticking with Bike Power.

bart

posted on 31/12/14 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
have a look at grass trackers they do this config all the time , don't know about reverse it depends on where you put it in the drive line as to configuration.
the inline reverse boxes are not meant for side load . bearing would be different and the is no internal support to stop side loads ie a shaft has to be supported by 2 bearings a distance apart ( yes I know there are exceptions long double roller bearings ect ! )
the side load if I understand your configuration would be considerable.
the inline units have a bearing at each end but are split in the middle as inline there is not much side load.
electric reverse is fine depends on the unit you use and how it is geared .

BE ALERT > BRITAIN NEEDS LERTS

The Venom Project

posted on 31/12/14 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Ok cheers for the replies, yes I imagine the pressure on the box will be much greater than where it would normally sit in the prop tunnel.

Okay, will look into alternative electric reverse units :-(

daniel mason

posted on 31/12/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bmw k1100 bike motors are shaft driven and have revese built in!

[Edited on 31/12/14 by daniel mason]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.