Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OK - who likes their job?
David Jenkins

posted on 24/12/15 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garyt
I'm a cooper, no not mini or tommy, make and repair whisky barrels, I've been with the same company since 1986 this time, started there in 78, went away to a distillery for a few years and went back, we work pure piece work no fall back rate no perks just come in a 6.30 am do as many as you can by 5pm and get paid so it may not be the best company but Im fairly content there and it pays for toys and bills.
Yes I do look at other jobs and wonder but then don't we all " the grass is greener on the other side " and all that

If you're in the place I'm thinking of, I've probably stood in the gallery and watched you working!

As for me - I used to enjoy my work, then I ended up in a place run by a bunch of managers-in-the-American-style pillocks and the stress levels rose too high. Eventually left and joined a reasonably good company, but the constant commuting and frequent trips abroad (not as much fun as it sounds) got me down so I took early retirement. I was fortunate that I was able to do that as otherwise I'd still have to work to live with little joy in the process.

phelpsa

posted on 24/12/15 at 02:35 PM Reply With Quote
If you'd asked me when I was 7 or 8 what I wanted to do when I grew up I would have described almost exactly the role I'm in. It took a lot of stress and hard work to get there but it definitely paid off!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scutter

posted on 24/12/15 at 03:03 PM Reply With Quote
I like mine too, Did 23 years in the RAf fixing planes only to do exactly the same thing for Boeing working on the same Mighty C17. I at least once a 3 week servicing cycle stand and look at it and go, "That shouldn't fly, it's too big"

ATB Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dave Bailey

posted on 24/12/15 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
A bit irrelevant for me... Just been made redundant so if or when I get another I want to make sure I enjoy it!
sprintB+

posted on 24/12/15 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
Can I change my mind? just had a horrid day Alu. mig welding a warship in atrocious conditions in Plymouth Sound. Feeling a bit queasy. Roll on pay off.
Matt21

posted on 24/12/15 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say I enjoy it, but I enjoy what it gives me.
The money and the time off.

I think if I had a job doing something I enjoyed I would soon get sick of it after a year or two of doing it day in day out.
I like my work and personal life to be complete contrasts to each other.

mark chandler

posted on 24/12/15 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I like my job, but then through my entire working life I have made sure to move around enough to keep myself interested.

I have also kept my hobbies seperate which helps as I can divorce the two.

snapper

posted on 24/12/15 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
When I am allowed to do my core job I love it,
however the politics, financial constraints, massive staff reductions & no technical support means that only when I'm taking photographs (or video) am I truly happy and that time is less and less.

[Edited on 24/12/15 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

femster87

posted on 24/12/15 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
I love mine, i detest the commute. takes the enthusiasim out of it.
jelly head

posted on 24/12/15 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Mine's alright on the whole, it just the nob heads that crop up every now and then that spoil it
twybrow

posted on 24/12/15 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
I love my job. It is a big part of my life and I wouldn't be with out it. R&D is always exciting and enjoyable as long as you understand that failure is a big part of development!
steve m

posted on 24/12/15 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
I like my job, and 90% of the people around me, at the same level

The management are complete fuckwits, and totally out of touch with reality, not helped by, that not one of them can actually sit at my desk and do the real job

we are being "reviewed" in Jan, and I will opt for redundancy

That's how much I detest the lieing cheats, money grabbing scumbags on the next two tiers above me

steve

[Edited on 24/12/15 by steve m]

Thats was probably spelt wrong, or had some grammer, that the "grammer police have to have a moan at

twybrow

posted on 24/12/15 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I like my job, and 90% of the people around me, at the same level

The management are complete fuckwits, and totally out of touch with reality, not helped by, that not one of them can actually sit at my desk and do the real job

we are being "reviewed" in Jan, and I will opt for redundancy

That's how much I detest the lieing cheats, money grabbing scumbags on the next two tiers above me

steve

[Edited on 24/12/15 by steve m]

Sounds to me like you do not appreciate that a good manager can make a team come to life. I am from an engineering background, but I now manage a team - it is my job to get the best from my group, whilst allowing individuals to grow. I could do most of what my team does, but nowhere near as well/fast as I am a little rusty now. But it is not my role to do what my engineers do, and it is frustrating when people like you suggest that is how I should contribute. If this were the case, everyone would be doing the same job, which would suck!

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/12/15 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Scottish Westy - nothing but Empathy.

I hope you're not over 50...... really feels like the world of 'real' employment regards you as clinically dead.

daniel mason

posted on 24/12/15 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
He didn't really say that Tim.
He said the management are fuckwits. Which they may well be. Not that you or any other managers are!
Anyway merry Christmas to all

woodster

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I loved my job until the boss changed the new ones a proper f&&eked in the ed control freak .... I've been at the same place for 35 years which is way to long I should have done something different 15years ago any way I've started a business which Will hopefully be my way out .... I've told my kids who are teenagers to plan a career path from the start and to look to get out at 50 ........ Sadly things change and go out of your control
ali f27

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi i cant get a job as i am thought to be to old for my industry just get work when somebody is stuck and needs my experaince hang on to your job however crap once you 60 or your out
garyt

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Snapper; awesome shots of the arrows but the one that stands out is the wee fishing boat in the harbour, an out standing photo (to me anyways) out of interest where was it ?

remember we are not mad just creatively insane !!!!!

twybrow

posted on 24/12/15 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daniel mason
He didn't really say that Tim.
He said the management are fuckwits. Which they may well be. Not that you or any other managers are!
Anyway merry Christmas to all

No, it wasn't spelled out like that, but that is why I said 'sounds to me...'

I was picking up specifically on the comment that the manager should be able to do the job of the subordinate. This is what I picked up on and based my comments on. But agreed, perhaps the original comments were very much aimed at a specific person / managers.

Merry Christmas to all, managers or not!

snapper

posted on 24/12/15 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Snapper; awesome shots of the arrows but the one that stands out is the wee fishing boat in the harbour, an out standing photo (to me anyways) out of interest where was it ?

Red arrows was a shot with a Nikon 300mm f2.8 had held following 1 Red Arrow to the crossover point.
I confess to having spotted the cross point on several passes until I got it.

The boat shot was on a second visit to NRTE Vulcan where we decided to do a piece about the local area and by chance came across this very small fishing harbour, Fresgoe
I have very few images that I hold dear but this is one of them.
Thanks for asking.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Adamirish

posted on 25/12/15 at 12:36 AM Reply With Quote
I don't particularly love my job. I'm an auctioneer. I need a bit of mental stimulation which I just don't get at work. I work with some good people and get on with the bosses very well though we do butt heads from time to time. The money isn't fantastic, the hours can be a bit unsociable but it's stable and there is a lot to be said for that.

I do like to participate in some people watching so I am in the perfect position to do that I guess!

MK Indy 1700 Xflow

bi22le

posted on 25/12/15 at 12:58 AM Reply With Quote
So many people shouting about their great jobs but not saying what they do or more to the point for who! Why be so secretive?

If its positive shout your company out. Mine is one of the top employers of the year 2015, I am proud.

I moved jobs in august. I like it. I would prefer being a full time lottery winner.

I work in R&D at Olympus, designing medical devices.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Andybarbet

posted on 25/12/15 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I thought it was strange too.

I am a hands on project engineer/manager, its a small firm who supply the pharma industry, I can say that I enjoy it more than any past jobs, I get to do a bit of autocad which I really enjoy, lots of planning (I have OCD) which is ok, a bit of travel which I don't mind, hardest part is probably dealing with/managing people.

I try to be fair as a manager, slowly correcting a lot of the issues that were complained about before my promotion a year ago but you really cant please everyone unfortunately.

Don't get me wrong though, if I could, I would be out like a shot spending time at home with the family & tinkering on my own projects.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

daniel mason

posted on 25/12/15 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I wasn't trying to hide it,I work for myself - DANIEL MASON ELECTRICAL CONTRACTORS LIMITED. love it!
sdh2903

posted on 25/12/15 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
So many people shouting about their great jobs but not saying what they do or more to the point for who! Why be so secretive?

I'm an aircraft line engineer for Thomson Airways in Glasgow. Great job decent company.

Job varies from unblocking nappies from toilets to replacing large lumps of aircraft and everything in between. Every day is different which is the main thing for me as previous jobs in hangars on heavy checks could be very repetitive.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.