Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Holiday in southern England
MarcV

posted on 5/7/22 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Holiday in southern England

For our summer Holiday we are looking at a week or week and a half in southern England, probably a bit on the east side due to travel time with the young kids.

To get an idea we normally look at booking. So we did and we did get a bit of a scare on prices. We aren't looking for anything to fancy, but somewhere in the bungalow, safari tent, holiday home range. Also no need for tourist magnets, just a lovely scenery would be nice (so out of the city, small village is fine).

Do you locals have any tips on where to look?

gremlin1234

posted on 5/7/22 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
are you driving? or coming by train?
too many nice places to name,
but certainly pencil in a day or two in London if you have not been before.
(ps don't drive into central london! oyster cards for busses/trains will be your best option [contactless uk bank cards are a better option, but not available without a UK bank account] )

thinking about it, I guess you will drive, and arrive via Harwich?
I am told Cromer in north norfolk is good.

theconrodkid

posted on 5/7/22 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
try PM ing "Jon Ison on" here, he has some holiday chalets with hot tubs and horses etc in Linconshire, if you get no reply, let me know and ill put him in contact with you

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

MarcV

posted on 5/7/22 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
The idea is to come by car, probably take the tunnel when getting there and the ferry when returning. We have a week in Zeeland (NL) planned afterwards so it is somewhat on route.

We'll probably give London a skip, been there before and the kids are a bit too young to appreciate it (and make it a full day).

gremlin1234

posted on 5/7/22 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
in that case focus on Kent, maybe Brighton, maybe isle of wight, and maybe dorset. then up to winsor, on the way home,

bluebell line, and hythe & dymchurch railway might be on the list.
as might the boats at portsmouth.

SJ

posted on 6/7/22 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
Norfolk is lovely if you want somewhere quiet. We've stayed in Happisburgh (pronnounced hayesburgh) a few times, which is reall nice.
JoelP

posted on 7/7/22 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Other end of the country, but Northumberland is beautiful.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

coyoteboy

posted on 8/7/22 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
I would ignore your requests for east side (too peopley, too London-y) and head to the west coast for a nice microclimate in Devon:
https://alstoncampsite.co.uk/

The static caravans are spacious and the camp site is nice, and the town of Salcombe or Kingsbridge are not far away.

Visit Cranches sweet shop, get a nice meal in the pubs, hop a ferry to one of the beaches, rent a boat for a pootle around.

MarcV

posted on 10/7/22 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input all, well appreciated! It gives enough to think about. We'll stick to south-east for now as we'll be travelling with the young kids and don't want to spend our days in the car ;-) We should go further sometime when we make it multi-week.

Just looking at the suggestions makes me want to take a bit longer and explore around. Next time though..

jps

posted on 11/7/22 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
https://magliarosso.co.uk/about/glamping/

Any good? Might be a bit on the small side but Suffolk is a nice part of the world.

James

posted on 12/7/22 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
The Surrey Hills area has some nice views and nice places to go.

If you like beaches and if you're willing to travel as far West as Portsmouth then I can recommend the West Wittering.

However, you do need to book parking in advance- as we found to our cost at the weekend!

Have a great time, let us know how it goes!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.