Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Another 'why not make it legal' thread
Slimy38

posted on 24/4/24 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Another 'why not make it legal' thread

I saw this on my Ebay travels;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305479721189

And I was really admiring the work that has gone into it, some 'unusual' design choices but overall something a bit tidy. Then I noticed it's on an L reg, which seemed possible but unlikely? So I did an MOT check and it came back as a 1972 VW Beetle...

[Edited on 24/4/24 by Slimy38]

JoelP

posted on 24/4/24 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Very sketchy. It's also not being MOT tested, and it's insured as a beetle.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Rod Ends

posted on 24/4/24 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
Another:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204749670818
quote:

Right up front.. The car is not currently strictly road legal.
Since then I've driven it around on trade plates whenever I've been out in it, Trade Plates cost £165 for 12 months.

Slimy38

posted on 24/4/24 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends
Another:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204749670818
quote:

Right up front.. The car is not currently strictly road legal.
Since then I've driven it around on trade plates whenever I've been out in it, Trade Plates cost £165 for 12 months.

Yep, another interesting car, although there's no way that's ever going to be road legal. And as for driving on trade plates, as far as I know the car still needs MOT and insurance, as well as being roadworthy.

Minicooper

posted on 25/4/24 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
I remember the Avante kit car in the 80's and it was based on a VW beetle, so please before you slag people off and bring attention to the car as being illegal just do a quick google search to check your facts. As it's based on a VW chassis not a cut down chassis it is perfectly legal to use historic plates and all that means. insuring it as a VW beetle is also fine, The only thing I would suggest is updating the registration document to say "VW beetle kit car" or something similar.

David

JoelP

posted on 25/4/24 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I'm getting deja vu, cos we discussed the beetle chassis cars recently, but even if there's a whole beetle frame in there, there's no way it could be called an unmodified chassis.

nick205

posted on 25/4/24 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
I'm getting deja vu, cos we discussed the beetle chassis cars recently, but even if there's a whole beetle frame in there, there's no way it could be called an unmodified chassis.

Find myself agreeing.

The floorpan (where driver and passenger sit may well be from a classic Beetle. I'm no classic Beetle expert, but the suspension doesn't look like it to me!

jacko

posted on 25/4/24 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
To be fair the car looks very nice and well built
The only thing I can see is the floor pan that’s VW beetle is that enough to make it road legal

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 26/4/24 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Big conclusion to jumpt to..
As mentioned the beetle chassis is popular for the exact reason is it rarely needs IVA. They are a completely self contained chassis that can be run with the body removed. They can be registered on the points system to not only not require an IVA, but not require a reg change. Whilst they still need to be run thru the DLVA system, we all know how bad they DVLA are for getting things right, so its safe to assume they never bothered changing what it was named as on the V5.

You only need 8 points from the below, so with a beetle chassis you can re-engine and still get 11 points without even trying.

Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

Mistral Motorsport

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/24 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
Nice, I have no issues with it as the chassis looks stock with a Red design wishbone suspension subframe kit mounted to the stock frame head. It even has the stock rear trailing arms, given the camber at the back. A clever and interesting car

Must be scary quick though

[Edited on 26/4/24 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Slimy38

posted on 26/4/24 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
You only need 8 points from the below, so with a beetle chassis you can re-engine and still get 11 points without even trying.

Chassis, monocoque bodyshell (body and chassis as one unit) or frame - original or new and unmodified (direct from manufacturer) 5
Suspension (front and back) - original 2
Axles (both) - original 2
Transmission - original 2
Steering assembly - original 2
Engine - original 1

While that points system makes sense, in this case only the chassis is original. That's only 5 from 8.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/24 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
True, however...

The kit is an old one from the 1980's, it could very well have been done using the entire original floorplan and drive train of the VW Bug as it was first designed and put on the road for years if not decades in that form. Indeed that kit car was way before the SVA or IVA had even been dreamed up and the Subaru engine certainly was not available! I suspect it was a barn find with a 1200 engine.

Then later the engine/gearbox & suspension is upgraded and just because you later change out the engine on a kit car doesn't mean you then have to go through the whole IVA process. I swapped out the Falcons 2lr engine with a 2.8 v6 and the DLVA didn't even bat an eyelid.

In this case as the chassis is original and not shortened I'd be happy with it. My beach buggy didn't have the original engine or gearbox either, after going though the whole correct registration process, it was still called a Beetle. It's a nice car, well built and sympathetically finished in keeping with the original kit car style, I'd love one Decent price too for such a fast looker.

JoelP

posted on 26/4/24 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
It would be much easier for the seller to prove it's a historic conversion if he had updated the v5 when it was originally converted.

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/4/24 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
It would be much easier for the seller to prove it's a historic conversion if he had updated the v5 when it was originally converted.

The chassis number gives the year, V5 won't show anything, especially if it was first done in the 80's. I think people are trying to find fault where there is none. This is just an upgraded old kit car, it's registered correctly for what it is and it's age.

As I said, when I built my beach buggy in the 90's, I went through all the correct paperwork, had the police round to check etc. After all that I got the V5 back saying yellow 1973 VW Beetle... same thing will have happened to this car.

Slimy38

posted on 26/4/24 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy It's a nice car, well built and sympathetically finished in keeping with the original kit car style, I'd love one Decent price too for such a fast looker.

I definitely agree with that, it is a gorgeous looking car and very well built. As you say a decent price too. Hopefully the new owner will be able to enjoy it and won't encounter the wrath/stupidity of the DVLA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.