Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Axle Conversions
JoelP

posted on 13/9/03 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
Axle Conversions

Anyone know a good way to turn a bike into shaft drive, or to make an axle chain drive? I dont need to know myself just yet, i ask more out of interests sake and to start a useful thread for anyone who is bothered.

Any good ideas?

Rorty

posted on 16/9/03 at 06:28 AM Reply With Quote
The easiest way to transform a chain drive bike to shaft drive, is to turn the engine 90 degrees anti-clockwise, and run a prop adaptor off the output shaft a la BEC.
There are various ways of converting a live axle to chain drive. The easiest way is to replace the axle's bearings with sealed bearings, then cut an in -and-out hole in the front cover, remove the crown wheel, and bolt a sprocket on in its place.
Some diffs actually have room for a new front cover made from a bit of AL or steel plate.

Cheers, Rorty.

"Faster than a speeding Pullet".

PLEASE DON'T U2U ME IF YOU WANT A QUICK RESPONSE. TRY EMAILING ME INSTEAD!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carcentric

posted on 21/9/03 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Propshaft to chain sprocket

quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
Anyone know a good way to turn a bike into shaft drive . . . ?

Here's one way:

It's the middle drive from a '79 Yamaha XS1100 and was originally designed to transfer the transmission's output to the bike's propshaft with close to 1:1 internal gearing. Of course, if you start with the whole XS1100 (or similar bike), you'll already have a bike with shaft drive!

I bought one with the idea of connecting the splined input to the rear end of a car propshaft and then bolting a chain sprocket to the four-hole flange. Would have worked, but it's for sale now as I found an even better solution given my donor car (see http://www.carcentric.com/SpitTrike.htm if you're curious). I don't see why you couldn't have a splined hub machined to mount a sprocket onto and then use the middle drive as it was intended - with the four-hole flange bolted to a propshaft.

M D "Doc" Nugent
http://www.carcentric.com

joolsmi16

posted on 11/12/05 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
chain drive

I have seen a diff with a sprocket on one side and the driven wheel on the other, not sure if its technically correct but room for improvement
joolsmi16

posted on 17/12/05 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
chain diff

Theres one ebay now Item number: 8021177844

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.