Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welding Mask
Beardy_John

posted on 6/12/07 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Welding Mask

Hi all,

Getting set up to start welding but lacking a rather imprtant piece of kit. I know there are loads on fleabay but cant be ar*ed waiting for one from the states. Anyone know of where to get a cheap autodarking one in the UK?? Or anyone got a spare they want to flog???

Minicooper@work

posted on 6/12/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
For what it's worth,
I got one from the States, received it 2 days later, about £14~£15 all in

Cheers
David

Ricks-9r

posted on 6/12/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Might get me one of these for the misses ,only £28 posted ,a UK seller as well

[Edited on 6/12/07 by Ricks-9r]

Dangle_kt

posted on 6/12/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ricks-9r
Might get me one of these for the misses ,only £28 posted ,a UK seller as well

[Edited on 6/12/07 by Ricks-9r]

That guy must have one pig fugly wife LOL!

blakep82

posted on 6/12/07 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
^ ha ha!

having never used an auto darkening mask before, just wondered how essential people who have used them think they are?

thing is, i don't entirely trust them, how can you be sure it won't fail until it doesn't work, and you burn your eyes.

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

BenB

posted on 6/12/07 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say they're pretty essential Improved my (admittidly still rubbish) welding no end....

I've only had a mask not darken once and that was because the sensor was shielded by a bit of bodywork (doh!!!)... Even then they have a UV filter so you don't get arc eye (UV keratitis). It's just like if someone sets off a flash-gun in your face (after all, you tend to come off the trigger if it happens!!).... 10 seconds and its back to normal. From then on I just made sure I didn't mask the sensor....

For MIG welding you can get away with a cheapo auto-darkening one. For TIG (which gives off less light apparantly) you might need a slightly more expensive one.

Peteff

posted on 6/12/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
how can you be sure it won't fail until it doesn't work, and you burn your eyes.

It's a shade 4 at minimum and even clear glass will stop enough UV to prevent a flash, you just get a bright spot for a while. AC tig doesn't always trigger the sensors even on expensive masks. She wants to cover that cleavage up or she'll get sunburn there for definite.

[Edited on 6/12/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

blakep82

posted on 6/12/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
pete and ben, that makes sense! might consider getting one myself now

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ironside

posted on 6/12/07 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my solar auto-darkening one from this ebay seller: (UK)

http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZjdmnheld1997

Same as the orange ones at the top of the results in the above link.

It arrived next day, including the free filter and welding gauntlets. It's over a year old now and still works fine. So do the gauntlets!

Now and then (like twice in a year of welding chassis bits) I've been welding behind a chassis rail and the obstruction/shadow has caused the lens not to auto-darken. It's still dark enough not to burn you. I've never experienced arc eye from it.

I think they're essential and would definitely recommend them.

Simon

Normsthename

posted on 6/12/07 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
If you are TIG welding make sure the mask will work with your TIG welder. Some TIG plants use Inverter technology and they will not trigger cheap masks.
I had to buy a Speedglas that worked with these TIG plants, and that cost £230......
quote:

having never used an auto darkening mask before, just wondered how essential people who have used them think they are?

Depends what type of welding you want to do, I would say TIG welding is difficult to do without one, but not essential for MIG or ARC welding, but nice
Also if you are new to welding they make it easier to learn, so you don't have to learn to do 'the Nod'
quote:

thing is, i don't entirely trust them, how can you be sure it won't fail until it doesn't work, and you burn your eyes.

They are no problem, as long as you don't obscure the light sensors.

Andy

caber

posted on 6/12/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a very cheap ebay one and it is not so good for TIG welding at low currents or if the sensors get partially obscured by bits you are working on, unfortunately common on a chassis.

I have just bought a mid price one from BOC that has a sensitivity adjustment as wll as a darkness adjustment, this is pretty essential for low current work.

When they do flash off it is not a great disaster as the lens does have a degree of shading. While I have been using mine the worst problem has been seeing where the weld is going or dropping the tungsten into the pool.

You need to be pretty stupid to get arc eye that is running a few seconds of high current weld without a mask at any event it is not a long term problem just blind and uncomfortable for a couple of days or so I have been told never having suffered it myself.

Do check exactly what the mask does before you buy one if you intend to do TIG instaed of Arc or MIG then spend the money on a decent mask now!

Caber

Minicooper@work

posted on 6/12/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Arc Eye can happen in a fraction of a second, and it's extremly uncomfortable.

Being stupid is not the only criteria for people suffering with arc eye, also some people are far more sensitive to it than others

Cheers
David

Peteff

posted on 6/12/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
When I was arc air gouging I had to stop work when the crane was overhead as the driver got arc eye from it, it was always a good excuse to have a minute.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Beardy_John

posted on 6/12/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for the replys:

I've got a Rehmann TIG DC inverter, is it likely that an autodarking would not work with it?

Minicooper@work - where did you get yours from. £15 sounds very cheap.
ironside - how do you rate your fleabay mask???

Minicooper@work

posted on 7/12/07 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
I got mine from the USA ebay site, the guy was selling loads of them, I will have a look at the sellers id tonight when I get home

Cheers
David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.