Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How best to Re-inforce broken GTS front wing mount
James

posted on 21/5/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
How best to Re-inforce broken GTS front wing mount

So, I know I had my Locost coming of age when the front wing mount broke on my GTS wing.

I bodged it back together at the time with a quick weld as it was my only car at the time and I needed it on the road. As you can see, not a good weld and it's rusting badly.
Hoping to go on a long France trip in 2 months and don't want it to fail out there- I don't have room for the cigarette lighter socket mig welder!

[img] Broken Wing 1
Broken Wing 1
[/img]

I want some suggestions of how best to more permanently repair it. With all makes of wing this used to be a very common problem, but I don't see it posted here anymore.

Is it a case of massively re-inforcing the mount, or doing something clever.

Further pics:
[img] Broken Wing 2
Broken Wing 2
[/img]

[img] Broken Wing 3
Broken Wing 3
[/img]

I'm wondering about just welding a piece of 100mm long, 3mm plate along the length of the current 3mm and the tubing below it. Or, will the stress raisers be just as bad then? Should I weld the same 3mm plate just at the ends? Therefore pinning the current pieces together but not adding an extra HAZ at the current joint?

What do Caterham do with their wings*? As I've not heard of those snapping?

Thanks!

James

*And I don't just mean 'charge a lot'!

[Edited on 21/5/12 by James]

[Edited on 21/5/12 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

macc man

posted on 21/5/12 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Best to make a new set up really. Use 16 gauge 1/2" tube or thicker. the weak point is always the flat bar. You need to avoid vibration shake so the stiffer the better.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.