Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: First car buying advice
sdh2903

posted on 8/2/14 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
First car buying advice

Currently on the hunt for a first car for my 18 year old step son.

He really has taken a shine to Vw lupos. However there are not a great deal of them around for sale and they are a fair bit older than a corsa for the same money.

Which would you go for? An older vw lupo/polo with a few more miles or a newer corsa/Clio/fiesta? I'm not that clued up on the smaller breed of cars today, is the VAG quality still there?

For example 1999 lupo 1.0 or 1.7 diesel with 80k can be had for 1000-1100 quid. Corsa 1.2 sxi 2004 vintage, 60k for around 1200 quid.

ian locostzx9rc2

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
I would buy the corsa or fiesta because there newer...
BangedupTiger

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
I sold a 2005 corsa with 11,000 miles last year for £1,200. Took ages to get rid of the piece of crap.

Go for the VW.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:36 PM Reply With Quote
Lupo, Insurance will be alot cheaper aswell
morcus

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
All small VW's (Possibly all used VWs) seem to be over priced so I'd not bother also check insurance first as some cars are alot more than others for no real reason.

I'd deffinitly not pay extra to have a car half as old again with higher millage for a smaller car, of your listed cars it has to be the corsa.

[Edited on 8/2/14 by morcus]

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

mac1ZR

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
VW everytime, you may pay a bit more for an older car, but when it comes time to sell, it will go quicker, and will go for more money. As you stated there are not many about, and that's why
chrism

posted on 8/2/14 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd take the Fiesta over the VW but the VW over the Corsa.

As others have said above as its for an 18 year old check the insurance before buying as that could be the deciding factor.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

theduck

posted on 8/2/14 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance will likely be the main factor. My sister in law found fiestas and ka's to be the only cars that cost less to insure than to buy!
matt5964

posted on 8/2/14 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Try a seat a rosa, pretty much a lupo but cheaper and there are more of them arround
Slimy38

posted on 8/2/14 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt5964
Try a seat a rosa, pretty much a lupo but cheaper and there are more of them arround

I was going to say the same thing. But be aware that these small cars are popular with small drivers and therefore the insurance can be high. And as far as I can tell a first car is entirely dictated by insurance, the cost of the car itself is almost inconsequential. Even being an additional driver can make the insurance many times more expensive than the pile of metal you're insuring!

gaz_gaz

posted on 8/2/14 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Just bought a little Lupo for my sister.
Seemed a better bet that the Fiestas, Puntos and Corsas she was looking at.
She seems to like it. Insurance was cheap too.
Wonder if she'll ever pay me back!

mark chandler

posted on 8/2/14 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
It's his first car, mine a mini lasted 6 weeks after getting my driving licence before hitting a grit box, my daughter wrote off her car after 2 hours

I would look at a £400 fiesta as they seem pretty tough, then trade up after 6 months and use insurance policy that gives 30% NCD early.

corrado vr6

posted on 8/2/14 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've found, the newer the car the cheaper the insurance for a first car

http://r1indy7.wordpress.com/

jacko

posted on 8/2/14 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Corsa as we have one great little car for my Daughter
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
trextr7monkey

posted on 8/2/14 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
VW build quality is pretty good son had a little Fiat as first car and although it was economical it was very flimsy with a desperately poor crash test rating. He bought a little 998cc Polo and it drives and feels like a proper car you shut the door and it feels heavy- much safer.
I put it through Mot about 2 weeks ago and guy says it is absolutely solid underneath. lad has just moved to Leeds for first job and can walk to work so he will bé selling it soon. I have not advertised it yet as MOT bloke might have some student type lined up to buy it. It is a 6N 2 model, 2 dr, alloys full new exhaust brand new steering pump. Kenwood stereo and 12 months MOT serviced and just over 100k which sounds a lot but not for a 14 yr old car he will bé wanting about £1100 and car is on Sorn near Carlisle. Would make a cracking safe first car.
Atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

sdh2903

posted on 8/2/14 at 11:37 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for all the input chaps.

For the polo/lupo/fiesta/corsa of the 1.0 to 1.2 varietys the insurance is very similar ranging from 1275 to 1375 so it's just a case of finding the right car. He really likes the lupos as they are a bit quirky and different and I kind of respect that. Although I'm extremely peeved as we've just done a 120 mile round trip to see a 'mint' lupo 1.7 diesel which was a rotten wreck.

With reference to a previous comment about newer cars being cheaper to insure, bizzarly it's true. A 2006 corsa 1.2 twin port 80bhp is cheaper to insure than the 2003 equivalent with 75bhp.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.