Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cologne v6
crutch

posted on 2/4/07 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
cologne v6

Got a 2.8 with mfi. Would there be any performance advantage of converting to carbs. I know i would save a bit of space with the large air meter etc.

also what would i need. saw this on ebay would it do the job item 190097822550
with dgas added.

James

posted on 2/4/07 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
So from a quite old and out of date system you want to go even older and out of date!

Fit some throttle bodies run with Megasquirt... go on, you know you want to!

ATB,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Mr G

posted on 2/4/07 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
You don't want to go back to carbs. You can run the mfi system without wiring in any of the devices like the aux air/idle valve etc etc. I ran one with just the fuel pump/cut off connected up for 9 years no probs.

If your going to be running a twin turbo as in your profile then your going to need injection - infact only the 2.9 kits were twin turbo iirc?

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

crutch

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:33 PM Reply With Quote
yes i think you are correct. I have a running 2.8 cologne but picked up a 2.9 efi 280 bhp twin t granada.

Paid little for the hood 90% complete. Just needs calipers and paint to finish. Not 100% happy with some of the finsh so may well pull to pieces in places. The air meter has been fitted in the passenger foot well hence the carb question for space reasons. The engine has been rebuilt with fast road cam.

i am new to the kit arena but know some guys who can help me. Have the complete granda so should have everything for the conversion. Not sure wether to finish build and sva then change engine or hack now. Do fancy getting use to the std power before upping it.

what would you guys suggest.

Mr Whippy

posted on 2/4/07 at 11:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have one fitted to my 7. I have both the MFi system and the DGAS. Have a read of the Burton Power description on the cologne and you'll see that the fuel injection system has a few problems as does the engine its self. I have bought the steel timing cog as I never liked the plastic one but will only change it after the SVA test due t the extra noise. Back to the carbs v injection, well you can still use a turbo or two so long as the carburettor fuel chamber is vented into the choke barrels (the DGAS is this way) and not the outside. If it was not vented into the choke the increased pressure would blow back down the needles. Remember most superchargers run carb's, fuel injection is not necessary.

Whether your run carbs or the injection one of the easiest things to fix is the rather bad steps that occur where the manifold meets the head, their miles out. Follow Burton’s tip’s on getting the most out of the engine without making it fragile, these things are never going to rev like a modern engine but then they don’t have to, they have torque. One alternative if you through caution to the wind, along with your wallet is the evil triple downdraft Webber nonsense that was fitted to the X-Pack Capri’s, beware it is very very expensive and only for the fool hardy who just like the noise (that would be me... ). After having a word with CalvinX it appears that a Mega squirt system would cost a few hundred at most and would provide a fully tuneable system far more capable than either the carb or MFi systems. Your only problem is making a manifold to suit; Burton power can provide one but be sitting down when you call.

[Edited on 2/4/07 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.