Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Free carbon dash x 3
twybrow

posted on 9/12/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Free carbon dash x 3

Yes you read it correctly, I have 3 carbon fibre dashboards that I made in development of my actual dash. I must stress, none are pristine by a long way. The dash has an SVA compliant (I hope!) 25mm radiused edge along the bottom edge, that turns back through ~90 degrees.

The top one (No. 1) I sanded through a bit of the weave along the radiused bottom edge. It is cut and shaped to fit a Luego (Velocity is it?) scuttle. This is the best and nearly perfect, but not quite.

The second (No. 2) I used a poorly designed layup, and it bent like a banana when demoulded. It could certainly be used, but it would need to be held in place into the scuttle. It also has some blobs of resin on that needed flattening back (minor surface repairs). Again, cut loosely to fit a Luego scuttle.

The third (No, 3) (bottom in the picture) has a poor surface finish. I started rubbing back, but got bored and made a load more instead (hence the white specks in the surface imperfections). This one was my first attempt, and is a little heavier layup than the others. It could be used after a bit of careful sanding, and laquering.

Now, these are free as I made them at work (I love my job), and I do not want to be seen to be profiting from them. All I would say is i cant be faffed with packing, wrapping and despatching them, so it is really local pickup only. I would be more than happy to suggest a charity to make a donation to for those who take one.... similarly, I will be less than impressed if someone takes one and resells it, so if this is your plan, don't bother, or I'll hunt you down!

I am in Exeter and Oxford/Reading this Christmas, so could meet people if they can fit my very tight time constraints. Alternatively, I live in Evesham, and work in Cheltenham/Gloucester.

Strictly first come first serve - if you reserve one, then I expect arrangemtns to collect it in place ASAP, or I will offer it up again.

Good luck and let the scramble begin!

SCRAMBLE!!!!!

Edited to say, please post here, not U2U, for reasons of fairness to all....

Update:

1. Reserved for frankycopp
2. Reserved for dazgsxr
3. Reserved for YQUSTA

If there is any change I will repost. Thanks for the interest, and sorry there are not more to hand out!

dash
dash

[Edited on 9/12/08 by twybrow]

Is this a TRADE ADVERTISEMENT?? Click HERE to report it!

Dangle_kt

posted on 9/12/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I;d love one to cut up for cover my transmition tunnel - but I'm in the NW.

Glad to see the whole free to a good home, locosters united ethos still going strong.

Good on you!

twybrow

posted on 9/12/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dangle. I hope the love is passed on/returned at some point!

Top 1 (No 1) gone to frankycopp, pending collection details.

YQUSTA

posted on 9/12/08 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
As per u2u No3 If No1 is gone.

I would also like to add the same comments as Dangle with the locosters ethos

YQUSTA

jonno

posted on 9/12/08 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
If anyone else falls out, can i please put my name down

Cheers

Arggg... to far away, If you change your mind about postage im interested

[Edited on 9/12/08 by jonno]

having fun on a budget

RK

posted on 9/12/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
As we are all going to ask anyways: how did you get the bottom radius? I'm trying to imagine a suitable buck.
dazgsxr

posted on 9/12/08 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Dash

quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
Yes you read it correctly, I have 3 carbon fibre dashboards that I made in development of my actual dash. I must stress, none are pristine by a long way. The dash has an SVA compliant (I hope!) 25mm radiused edge along the bottom edge, that turns back through ~90 degrees.

Can i have one pls??? if any are still available im in bromsgrove so could collect
The top one (No. 1) I sanded through a bit of the weave along the radiused bottom edge. It is cut and shaped to fit a Luego (Velocity is it?) scuttle. This is the best and nearly perfect, but not quite.

The second (No. 2) I used a poorly designed layup, and it bent like a banana when demoulded. It could certainly be used, but it would need to be held in place into the scuttle. It also has some blobs of resin on that needed flattening back (minor surface repairs). Again, cut loosely to fit a Luego scuttle.

The third (No, 3) (bottom in the picture) has a poor surface finish. I started rubbing back, but got bored and made a load more instead (hence the white specks in the surface imperfections). This one was my first attempt, and is a little heavier layup than the others. It could be used after a bit of careful sanding, and laquering.

Now, these are free as I made them at work (I love my job), and I do not want to be seen to be profiting from them. All I would say is i cant be faffed with packing, wrapping and despatching them, so it is really local pickup only. I would be more than happy to suggest a charity to make a donation to for those who take one.... similarly, I will be less than impressed if someone takes one and resells it, so if this is your plan, don't bother, or I'll hunt you down!

I am in Exeter and Oxford/Reading this Christmas, so could meet people if they can fit my very tight time constraints. Alternatively, I live in Evesham, and work in Cheltenham/Gloucester.

Strictly first come first serve - if you reserve one, then I expect arrangemtns to collect it in place ASAP, or I will offer it up again.

SCRAMBLE!!!!!

dash
dash

Life shud be measured in the amount of times your breath is taken away not by the amount of breaths you take!!!

dazgsxr

Dash

quote:

Can i have one pls??? if any are still available im in bromsgrove so could collect

SCRAMBLE!!!!!

dash
dash

Life shud be measured in the amount of times your breath is taken away not by the amount of breaths you take!!!

dazgsxr

Dash

quote:

SCRAMBLE!!!!!

dash
dash

twybrow

posted on 9/12/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
As we are all going to ask anyways: how did you get the bottom radius? I'm trying to imagine a suitable buck.

Take one piece of kitchen worktop (gloss) for the base. Then take another piece, and cut the profile you want the dash bottom to follow (ie the cutouts for your legs). Then screw one to the other. Take one tub of car body filler, and a suitable rounding tool, and apply body filler to the egde of the tool. Then use the same rounding tool, and some sandpaper and smooth the radius out, trying not to dig out a channel on the face of the dash. When happy with the filler, spray hi-build primer, and lightly sand again. Then a final coat of primer, and plenmty of wax/mould release and voila!

I still have the mould and could lend it to anyone local if they promise not to destroy it!

dazgsxr

posted on 12/12/08 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
dash

Thanks so much Tim

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.