Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Query over harness top mounts
Mad Scientist

posted on 19/1/04 at 01:05 PM Reply With Quote
Query over harness top mounts

OK. I've done a search, but haven't come up with anything. I am going to mount my 4 point Willans harnesses to a cross bar on my roll bar. For SVA, do I need then to have rear braces on the bar? I know it just has to be suitably strong, but has anyone been through SVA with this set up?
The other alternative is to mount them on the top chassis rail. This will be fine for now, as I am using simple foam seats, but I intend to get Cobra 7's later on. Will the mounts then be too low??

Cheers for reading, some help is mucho appreciated!

JoelP

posted on 19/1/04 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
if the belt touches the seat on its way thru the back then the seat itself has to be strong enough, for this reason it is best to mount the belts level with the hole in the seat. tricky if you dont have the seats to hand to measure.

i would think that the SVA man would like the roll bar to be braced if the seatbelts are attached to it, but i think a roll bar isnt compulsory anyway, just good sense. so maybe it doesnt matter about bracing if its not a seat belt mount.

having said that, there isnt much point in an unbraced rollbar surely?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

locoboy

posted on 19/1/04 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen a few nicely finished ones that use the horizontal bar on the roll bar to put the harnesses over and they get attached to mountings low down in the boot area.

The height regs still apply as far as the harness holes in the seats goes as Joel pointed out. But doing it This way you could still mount the roll bar and make the harness mounts without buying the seats till later on, then put in the horizontal bar at the correct height to match the seat holes one you have the seats of your choice.

ATB
Locoboy

TPG

posted on 19/1/04 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
I mounted the upper parts of the belt on a cross member of the roll bar.The 'bar is unbraced but it is welded to the chassis.I've just got it thru sva with this arangment.I measured out to make sure they were high enough with regards to sva testing.See on my photo achive for ref.
Mad Scientist

posted on 19/1/04 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for the help. I think its going to be wise to buy a seat now rather than later so I can get the brace in the right place.

That is of course, unless anyone can tell me the height from the chassis floor to the harness slots in a cobra 7?

JoelP

posted on 19/1/04 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
if you do buy a seat now, store it well! i ripped another damn hole in them yesterday

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 20/1/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
You can get all the measurements on the cobra website. If you have a problem repost on here and Ill measure mine for you.

Gordon

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

Mad Scientist

posted on 20/1/04 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers all.

Been on the Cobra website. It only tells you the height of the top of the seat from the base. I need to know the height of the top of the harness slot, once mounted on the floor. I could also do with knowing what method of mounting you've used. If you have time Gordon, it'd be much appreciated.

Pete

Mk-Ninja

posted on 22/1/04 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Pete

Sorry for the delay I was out yesterday. -

Anyway its 590 to the top of the slot measured verticaly to the floor. The slot is 30mm high.

Ive not got my seats in yet. but I have been told to bolt them straight to the floor for the SVA, then put runners on if you want them afterwards.

If you need any other dimensions, its no problem now Ive got one in the house so its easy to measure.

Gordon

craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Gordon,
Why not use runners for SVA?

I ask because I've just mounted my Cobra Roadster 7 runners onto brackets which I fabricated and welded to the chassis tubes. This is made from 2mm thick chassis tubes and 3mm thick flat bar and is very sturdy. My floor is only 1.6mm thich and even with spreader plates I would have thought that using a runners designed for the seat and mounting it in this way would be better than bolting to the floor. Have I missed something?

Cheers,
Craig.

Mk-Ninja

posted on 1/2/04 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
You may not have a problem but I was told that the Indy seat mount positions dont allow you much space to get the rails in. Its all to do with the height of the seat relative to the height of the seat belt anchor. Aparently theres a guage they use to ensure that the seat belts run down from the anchor point. So I was advised to put the seats straight on the floor and then the rails could appear after the SVA.

Gordon

craig1410

posted on 1/2/04 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, that makes sense.
In my case I am mounting everything in place so that I can figure out how high to build my seat belt anchorages for the shoulder straps.

I was just worried that I had missed something...

Thanks,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.