Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insurance for a Day!!
macca1

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Insurance for a Day!!

I need to take my car for an MOT but I don't have any insurance in place for it.
I assumed I could contact my current insurer and just either swap or add the car just to allow me to take it for its test, I was wrong
My current insurer can ONLY cover MX'5/Eunos on this policy, so I asked them about taking out an additional policy for the day for the other can, they said no problem But it will need to be MOT'd!!!!
Does anyway have any ideas who I could speak too that may be a little more understanding as I really need to get it done before the weekend, and before anybody asks, yes the last test has expired?
Thanks
Col

Aboardman

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
can you not just get a days insurance.

https://www.dayinsure.com/quotepages/index.aspx

https://www.tempcover.com/TempCover/tcvCarIns.aspx

http://www.rac.co.uk/web/day-insurance/

rb968

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
My mate recently got a days fully comp cover from Tesco for a car he was picking up to store over the winter. Cost him about £9.50!

Worth a try.

Rich

omega0684

posted on 17/12/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
just looked on 'dayinsure' and 'rac' and as soon as you put in that the car is caterham style, they say they won't insure it!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ even if the website won't give you cover its worth giving them a phone sometimes (if you've got the time)
peteday_uk@btinternet.com

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Try 0800 015 4210 , this Hondacare drive away cover. They not only cover Honda but other makes aswell. You'll have to be bit cheeky because they may ask for a dealer ref which you won't have. This is basically Zurichs way of getting you to get a quote from them but they will give you 7 days complimentary cover free of charge.

Pete

macca1

posted on 17/12/08 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info, but dayinsure/rac wont cover an import and tempcover will not cover past group 17
It looks like my RX7 fails on both counts!!
Cheers
Col

Liam

posted on 18/12/08 at 12:11 AM Reply With Quote
Not got any mates with a fully comp policy that allows them to drive other cars with the owner's permission? I've got that on mine, so in theory I could do it for you (if I weren't so far away!)

Liam

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 18/12/08 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Not got any mates with a fully comp policy that allows them to drive other cars with the owner's permission? I've got that on mine, so in theory I could do it for you (if I weren't so far away!)

Liam

NO NO NO NO NO NO, asaik, you can only do that if the third party vehicle to be driven by you is covered with its own policy!!!

ATB

Simon

mad4x4

posted on 18/12/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Liam

But for that method to work the vehicle has to be insured.........

Wing it - If you get stopped explaine to the cops your are taking it to MOT for Tax * Insurance but no point in getting insurace util it has MOT... - Catch 22

Scot's do it better in Kilts.

MK INDY's Don't Self Centre Regardless of MK Setting !

Danozeman

posted on 18/12/08 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
If its a rx7 not a kit you should be able to get it from somewhere, have you tried tesco?

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 18/12/08 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Liam

NO NO NO NO NO NO, asaik, you can only do that if the third party vehicle to be driven by you is covered with its own policy!!!

ATB

Simon

That is what i always thought, but i spoke to my insurance company (bullseye no frill through underwritten by Swinton) and they said as long as it owned by somebody else i am covered to drive it 3rd party, and there is no need for it to be insured induvidually. I thought this was wrong so double checked and they said i was covered. I still found it a bit worrying though incase something happened.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

mcerd1

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:

Liam

ATB

Simon

That is what i always thought, but i spoke to my insurance company (bullseye no frill through underwritten by Swinton) and they said as long as it owned by somebody else i am covered to drive it 3rd party, and there is no need for it to be insured induvidually. I thought this was wrong so double checked and they said i was covered. I still found it a bit worrying though incase something happened.

each insurance company seems to have a slightly different wording on this bit - best to get it in writing first

BTW have you tried the NFU, they can be quite flexable (if not cheap)

-Robert

bassett

posted on 18/12/08 at 11:58 AM Reply With Quote
I got temp cover from my current insurer on a car i was selling. Wasnt the cheapest but im sure the cover will be better.

My MNR Blog Updated Jan 2010 - Track Day Prep Begins!

macca1

posted on 19/12/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Just as a way of closure, I've got the MOT done but please,don't ask me how I managed it as you don't know who may be reading this
But thanks to all that left a comment
Col

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.