Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: towing an unregistered kit car
richwill

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
towing an unregistered kit car

I have my SVA on monday and i want to move my car from my home to my place of work over the weekend. I can then make the short drive across the industrial estate to the test centre. I can also play around with the car at work and drive it around the yard to check it over. I have no room to drive it at home and i wanted to test it out.
Can i tow the car using a towing bar or dolly or does it have to be on a trailer?
I have seen several threads on this matter and would like to know the answer.

dinosaurjuice

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
a car without tax cant be towed if all 4 wheels are touching ground.

towing dollies and other 'articulated' methods are for emergency use only.

a proper car trailer or transporter seems to be the most legit way.

can anyone else confirm this? im not 100%

antimony

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
"thats not a car officer, it's my fancy new 4 wheeled trailer. As you can see, I'm transporting this engine, gearbox and seats to my place of work."

FEZ1025

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
The legal answer is it must be trailered.

However saying that I have in the past dollied 3 kitcars onto VOSA's site on 5 occasions & last week took one on a specially made A-frame. All have gone down the M1 & been overtaken by Police & VOSA Traffic Officers. I also have moved cars over 200 miles on dollies & so far never been stopped.

I was however stopped by Police 100 yards from home in the cul-de-sac I live in in a incomplete kitcar, it was a light hearted affair & nothing came of it.

Upshot is, you takes your chance & you pay the price if it goes wrong. If you have a dolly I would favour that over a straight tow with someone in the kitcar. Depending on distance I would also consider driving it there with a support vehicle when the roads were very clear as long as my headlights worked wink wink.

Alan...

Mark Allanson

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
"I live in in a incomplete kitcar"

Thats dedication!!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

owelly

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
You can drive an unregistered car to a pre-booked MoT. Can you book the car in for an MOT close by and then phone and cancel it just after you get to where you're going??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richwill

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for the answers guys. i thought as much. I have just been up the road to the local garage and what do i find. A great big trailor sat in his yard. I can use it tomorrow morning for thre price of a beer or two. Great result.
i will still drive to the SVA on Monday. Wish me luck.

Mr Whippy

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
tbh as far as I'm concerned its just a trailer till its registered as a car. Make sure the lights and indicators work as per trailer requirements and the weight limits for braked trailers aren’t exceeded, which might be a sticking point.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 13/3/09 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you want to think it's a trailer, then you need to have fitted dedicated trailer brakes.....which opens up a whole world of hornets houses....

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

omega0684

posted on 13/3/09 at 02:04 PM Reply With Quote
how far is it from home to work, could you tow it under the cover of darkness ans stick your donor plates on the rear tub, cops will never know?

[Edited on 13/3/09 by omega0684]

mistergrumpy

posted on 13/3/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

tbh as far as I'm concerned its just a trailer till its registered as a car

I do like that. As far as the law are concerned though I think they'll see it differently, in fact I know they will in that instance. It's not much difference to, I suppose "as far as I'm concerned it's not murder until I pull the knife out" or something like that

twybrow

posted on 13/3/09 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
Ignorance is no defence (unfortunately!).

Good luck for Monday.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.