Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: xflow carb favour
Furry

posted on 10/10/09 at 11:26 AM Reply With Quote
xflow carb favour

i am having ongoing problems with fueling on my westfield. i originally had zx6r carbs but these were causing it to run on three cylinders, so i put the old carb on for sva. this got me through the sva but was overfueling meaning it wasn't drivable. the car is now road legal. and i have tried putting the bike carbs back on but no matter what i (balancing, adjusting the floats, swapping diaphrams, compression test) do it continues to not provide combustion (colour tune shows a spark but not combustion) on no 4 unless reved hard and even then its underfueling. so i was wondering if anyone in the poole are had a crossflow carb or zx6r carbs i could borrow to make sure it is definately a carboration problem before spending more money in this area.

i am getting desperate as have only managed 2 miles since being road legal (approximately 6 weeks )

[Edited on 10/10/09 by Furry]

rusty nuts

posted on 10/10/09 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Have you tried testing for an air leak on the carb/manifold that isn't firing? Spray WD40 around any suspect area , if a leak is found the engine speed will rise . Also is it possible to fit one of the other carbs to affected cylinder to eliminate carb?
Furry

posted on 11/10/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
i have tried the carb cleaner trick but it didn't work. unfortunately no able to swap carbs around.
02GF74

posted on 11/10/09 at 10:56 AM Reply With Quote
have you checked the jets are all clear and same in 4 as the others?

norfolkluego

posted on 11/10/09 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
Did I read that correctly
It's overfuelling on the old carb (DGAS or something?), on all cylinders or just one?
But underfuelling on one cylinder only on the bike carbs.
Agree with Rusty Nuts, sound like a problem with the bike carb inlet manifold or the carb itself (and the old one's just badly jetted for your engine)

RAYLEE29

posted on 11/10/09 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, its James workmate
sorry your still having probs what sort of carb was the original one? was it a twin choke? or single have you tried rejetting to 1.3 gt? jets bring the carb up to my work ill have a butchers if you like?
or if you like i could pop round yours and have a look at the car sometime anyway you know where to find me any eve except tues after 5 at the shop
Ray

Furry

posted on 13/10/09 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
at last success, one of the idle jets was blocked (thought i'd checked this but clearly not). cleared the jet and now runs on 4. goes well, but fires back through the carbs on ocassions.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.