Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: tiptronic gearbox
oadamo

posted on 12/12/10 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
tiptronic gearbox

has anyone messed about with tiptronic gearboxes, ive been looking at some at the breakers yard and some have what look like an actuator to change the gears. its got me thinking if i can use one of these boxes with a cable to make it like a sequential box. i might go and buy one off an fto just to test it.
adam

franky

posted on 12/12/10 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
like a early bmw smg box?
interestedparty

posted on 12/12/10 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
I believe that most gearboxes of this type are actually automatic, that allow manual control of gear changing, and that the actualtors open and close valves that operate the gearbox hydraulically.

The americans are well into this stuff, (they don't have the fear and loathing of autos in sports situations that we see in
the UK), and is usually achieved by using a modern auto (which are all electronically controlled, of course) with a custom ecu, which can be programmed with a laptop or manually controlled by switches.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

morcus

posted on 17/12/10 at 04:58 AM Reply With Quote
As above, Propper Tiptronic boxes have tourque converters and are autos with a different control set up. robotised Manual Boxes are just that though, but I doubt you'd find one that was RWD for cheaps as the only RWD ones I can think of are on really exspensive stuff. There are alot of FWD Fiats, Alfas, Audis and VWs with them though.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.