Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Restoration Ramps
jeffw

posted on 12/12/10 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Restoration Ramps

Saw this on another forum and I think it is a smart idea. Anyone got any thoughts or a better solution for working under a car in a normal garage?

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument&part=2

oadamo

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
Saw this on another forum and I think it is a smart idea. Anyone got any thoughts or a better solution for working under a car in a normal garage?

http://www.restorationramps.co.uk/phdi/p1.nsf/supppages/ramps?opendocument&part=2

i made a cheap one of these for a guy it worked out to about 50 quid for the jack and 400 for the ramp fully made and painted, worked very well and made working on the car dead easy.
adam

britishtrident

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
I have a very shallow pit normal Halfords ramps and a high lift jack and high axle stands.

At least one Locoster has bought a high lift pallet truck for the purpose

britishtrident

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
see http://www.esedirect.co.uk/p-2270-standard-high-lift-pallet-trucks-1000kg-capacity.aspx

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

MikeRJ

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Saw this on another forum and I think it is a smart idea. Anyone got any thoughts

Seems like a good idea, but I think it's quite expensive for what you actually get, and also very bulky to store. It would have been better if they had been designed to fold flat.

Bluemoon

posted on 12/12/10 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Saw this on another forum and I think it is a smart idea. Anyone got any thoughts

Seems like a good idea, but I think it's quite expensive for what you actually get, and also very bulky to store. It would have been better if they had been designed to fold flat.

True, Always copy the design .. Also you could keep the car on the ramps if you don't mind driving up them?

Dan

StrikerChris

posted on 12/12/10 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
How much????!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
interestedparty

posted on 12/12/10 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
My inclination would be to make some big chassis stands, and buy a decent jack with plenty of lift, Machine Mart do one for 4X4s about £200, then get a crawler. Those stands look like they are going to get in the way too much, you couldn't get underneath from the sides, and you couldn't stand close to the cockpit side either.

As some day it may happen that a victim must be found,
I've got a little list-- I've got a little list
Of society offenders who might well be underground,
And who never would be missed-- who never would be missed!

scudderfish

posted on 12/12/10 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
quote:

i made a cheap one of these for a guy it worked out to about 50 quid for the jack and 400 for the ramp fully made and painted, worked very well and made working on the car dead easy.
adam

Fancy making any more?

RazMan

posted on 12/12/10 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scudderfish

Fancy making any more?

I was thinking ........ group buy anyone?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 13/12/10 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I'd still get/buy some tall axle stands and a good jack. As has been said, those ramps really limit sideways access and will be a pig to store.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.