Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Leaky alloys
JeffHs

posted on 14/5/11 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
Leaky alloys

I think I know the answer but I'll ask anyway. Is it ok to use foam cans to seal leaky alloy rims or do they make so much mess you shouldn't?
I've got Mini Sprite alloys on my trailer. It's used infrequently but the tyres are always flat when I use it. They hold air long enough for the odd trip but it's becoming a pain.

macc man

posted on 14/5/11 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Have you thought of fitting inner tubes. Not sure how new the tyres are but might be a cheaper option than replacement.

loggyboy

posted on 14/5/11 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
Most spray cans are for emergency 'get you home' use only.
Most modernt tyres arent suitable for use with Inner tubes IIRC.
It should be fairly simple to find where its leaking from with some soapy water sprayed around the edges and the valve.
Its propably a bad finish around the bead that just needs to be cleaned up with a wire brush or a flapwheel drill attachment.

britishtrident

posted on 14/5/11 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
The can will only seal the tyre tread --- the foam gets distributed round the tyre by centrifugal force.

First thing to do is check the tyres are not leaking round the rim this can be sealed by knocking the tyre off the bead and sealing with lots of tyre bead lubricant (tyre fitters soap).

If it is the actual rims that are leaking then removing the tyre, cleaning the rim (and check for cracks) then lacquering with a 2K aerosol should work.

[Edited on 14/5/11 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

v8kid

posted on 14/5/11 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Rear leaky tyres in my tractor (thorns from cutting the hedge) have been sealed with cheapo foam for 4 years now
Best thing since sliced bread.
All I had to do was replace the valves when I decided to check the pressure last year.

BTW the foam does distribute itself on the rim - just replace a tyre to find out you have to clean the rims with solvent - I used brake cleaner

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 14/5/11 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Probably caused by corroded rims where the tyre should seal, a fairly common problem. Remove tyre , use a wire brush in an angle grinder to clean and apply tyre bead sealer, refit tyres job done.
martin1973

posted on 14/5/11 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
try letting the wind out
walk round the bead the put some sillcone round the bead.

worked on my alloys

martin

designer

posted on 14/5/11 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of alloys can become porous, a racers trick is to tape the inside.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.