Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: hmmmm cant get away from the mk!
withersdelivers

posted on 7/5/12 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
hmmmm cant get away from the mk!

hi all . was at the stoneleigh show yesterday, before i went i was sure i had talked myself into going down the gkd route. with them being so close to home and the bmw doner i thought i was sold on the idea.

but after spending yesterday in the sun perving at kits, i realised that i just kept going back to look at the mk's !!!!
i still think the mk is the best looking 'seven' on the market, what do you think?
the owners cant say enough about the mk team and now im back to wanting an indy!

took the chance to sit in one for the first time and being 6ft 3" i was unsure , but fit like a glove! (cheers dave)

now am i just a twat (dont answer that) , or does everyone have this much trouble choosing first time round?!

roadrunner

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
So your head says buy the GKD, but your heart says MK.
Which ever you do go for , you will still be wishing that you had gone for the other.
Both are great cars, so you won't be disappointed no matter which one you go for.
But if it were me, I would follow my heart.
Brad.

lotusmadandy

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem when i bought
my MK. I had a short list of MK, MNR and Tiger,
it wasnt until i went to a show that i kept on going back
to the mk stand.I bought two and would buy another

As Roadrunner says,followyour heart.

Andy

samjc

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
If your wanting bmw donnor why not try a beam R by martin keenan at mk engineering as both mk sportscar and mk engineering are in maltby about 5mins from each other so go talk to the guys if you can get their that is. try mk engineering website as the beam R is a great looking piece of kit.
franky

posted on 7/5/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
The gkd has much better lines and uses modern running gear that only costs a few £££, this leaves you space to build the rest as you wish, not to mention the service you'd get from GKD. They get awesome reviews too
Hector.Brocklebank

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
GKD Every time.

more modern parts, read readily available, the venerable sierra running gear is getting very long in the tooth and must be getting very scarce.

Maybe a test ride in an MK Indy to see how a well built one "handles" and drives with a car engine, then a ride in a GKD to compare the two, best one wins as they say.

Some people can never handle the truth and always try to shoot the messenger instead of taking an honest look in the mirror (its always easier to blame another than to face reality), but secretly they wish they could grow a pair and be the messenger !!!

fesycresy

posted on 7/5/12 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
It's a fun car, go with the heart.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

A1

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
you definitely wont be disappointed with the mk, brilliant car.

I agree too, its one of the best looking sevens.

lewis

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
MK all the way for me they look great!

I am a driving god!..........sort of

franky

posted on 7/5/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Not better than this though, although I am biased!!

beaver34

posted on 7/5/12 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Not better than this though, although I am biased!!

i agree, although dont think that was as cheap as an mk

franky

posted on 7/5/12 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
spec for spec they're cheaper, all because of the donor car cost and running on standard ecu's not needing mapping/custom ecus. RWD boxes that bolt straight on etc etc
A1

posted on 8/5/12 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
define the cost of an mk etc...
RK

posted on 9/5/12 at 01:42 AM Reply With Quote
If looks are important, remember that you can make anything look like anything if you put the effort in. My Deman/MK looks nothing like either one of them - not necessarily better either but it is different because I made my own bonnet, used a different nosecone, different scuttle, made the rear panel, dash, etc
Poorscousertommy

posted on 9/5/12 at 03:54 AM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem, mulled over it for almost a year, the forum screamed MNR, easier build, better service and great car - couldn't get over the looks.. Sorry guys but it's fugly!!. I got my costings wrong -ish (perfectionist and all best parts so expect 12k build cost, 8k resale) but yeah, the best looking for me and the toy car I want to be seen in is the Indy R.. I'm 6mo into build vs 8k plan, and can't fault it.

GKD seemed too expensive, but sure they are more than comparable if you go for decent spec. In your position would I do it different?? Erm.... Probably not

franky

posted on 9/5/12 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Poorscousertommy
I had the same problem, mulled over it for almost a year, the forum screamed MNR, easier build, better service and great car - couldn't get over the looks.. Sorry guys but it's fugly!!. I got my costings wrong -ish (perfectionist and all best parts so expect 12k build cost, 8k resale) but yeah, the best looking for me and the toy car I want to be seen in is the Indy R.. I'm 6mo into build vs 8k plan, and can't fault it.

GKD seemed too expensive, but sure they are more than comparable if you go for decent spec. In your position would I do it different?? Erm.... Probably not

Why do the GKD's seem too expensive? If you look what in their packages they come with a lot more bits so they might seem it but that fact you can build a m3 car for £8.5kish OTR shows they're not

big_l

posted on 9/5/12 at 06:49 AM Reply With Quote
Im sure why your not looking at the MNR either siearra or Mazda donor proper chassis all round tube not budget box steel !!

Excellent service and loads of back up !!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Davey D

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:12 AM Reply With Quote
When i first set out to build a kitcar i went to Newark show in 2007 to have a closer look at the cars there. I originally had my heart set on a Dax Rush, but it was the bad summer when we had all the flooding, and there wasnt a very big turnout at the show. Unfortunately Dax didnt turn up, so i didnt get to see one :-( Whilst looking around at the show i came across the MNR stand, and decided on a VortX instead.

I do like my car, but if i was to build another i would go for a GKD Legend 6. I absolutely love everything about the car Franky built. The look of the car all wrapped in the DiNoc, the style of the cage, and especially the power plant :-D

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:30 AM Reply With Quote
I have to admit, speaking to the MNR guy at Stoneleigh nearly convinced me to go down that route, especially considering how much of an MX5 they reuse. But I can't get away from that nose, it's ugly!!
big_l

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
MNR do 2 nose cones mate ones the same as the Mk Indy !!

femster87

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:42 AM Reply With Quote
This is one of those threads that confirm the saying " beauty is in the eye of the beholder" I would take an MNR everyday over and MK in the looks department. MK just looks like every other seven on the market. Finish has alot to do with the builder.
big_l

posted on 9/5/12 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto I love the MNR nose !! And a proper chassis !!!

Slimy38

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_l
MNR do 2 nose cones mate ones the same as the Mk Indy !!

To be fair I didn't know that, I'd only seen the one that looks like the front of a hot rod and seems too 'bulky' for a seven.

But yes, I totally agree with femster, it's entirely a persons preference. And it's the beauty of the kit car industry that the flexibility and choice are there. I'm still trying to convince my other half that a seven is actually an attractive car!

withersdelivers

posted on 9/5/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
i thought this thread would be filled with a variation of opinions and preferences lol. I agree its down to personal choice . Cant seem to load up the mnr site on my phone at the mo . Will check it when i get in .
Does anyone know how much a comprehensive kit is off the top of your heads?
By the way shoot me if you like but i quite like the look of the mnr ! Although not sure on using an mx5 engine ? Thoughts please?

big_l

posted on 9/5/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Give Mnr a call Chris is really helpfull I think the Mnr kit is just under 4k but that's because you get everything you need !! The quality of the MNR is worth every penny !! Mx5 engine is really good for money very revvy !!! Nothing beats a BEC though

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.