Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Disabled parking spaces on Roads.
morcus

posted on 30/11/12 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Disabled parking spaces on Roads.

I was wondering if someone could clear up some questions for me regarding disabled marked spaces that are on the road. Before moving to south Gloustershire I'd barely seen any of these but they are absolutly everywhere but what I don't get is how some houses are issued them when they have off road parking. Is this normal?

What grounds are they usually issued on and finally, my brother is disabled and has the whole badge thing and twice now I've been told, by people I've ignorred, that the space is only for the use of a specific person and not for just anyone who's diabled, is this actually the case? For what it's worth, both times we were getting a take away at different places and both times it was people who were either neighbours or had left there car somewhere else and not someone turning up in a car. Both times my brother had to use a stick to get himself out of the car.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

loggyboy

posted on 30/11/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
The space is for ANYONE, disabled or not. Their is no legal obligation not to park in it, only a moral one.

Mistral Motorsport

morcus

posted on 30/11/12 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what I thought, but if that is the case. why are there so many of the sodding things?

marcjagman

posted on 30/11/12 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
We have a marked disabled space outside our house now as thwe wife has MS. You get in touch with the council, pay them a fee and they come out and paint it for you. The space is designated to the house only, if you disabled or not unless you are visiting the house it's designated to then you can't park in it. Getting one done at daughters house too nect year as she live on a hill.
loggyboy

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marcjagman
We have a marked disabled space outside our house now as thwe wife has MS. You get in touch with the council, pay them a fee and they come out and paint it for you. The space is designated to the house only, if you disabled or not unless you are visiting the house it's designated to then you can't park in it. Getting one done at daughters house too nect year as she live on a hill.

Nope:

A council applied parking space is non enforcable unless it is accompanied by a blue badge sign:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/disabled-parking-bays

Mistral Motorsport

morcus

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming the same rules apply in south Gloustershire, three of the 4 I can see shouldn't be there as two have garages and one has a driveway. The two with Garage are both one car households and both of them put the car in the garage at night but move it round into the space in the day. Most days thats the only travelling these cars do.

loggyboy

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Assuming the same rules apply in south Gloustershire, three of the 4 I can see shouldn't be there as two have garages and one has a driveway. The two with Garage are both one car households and both of them put the car in the garage at night but move it round into the space in the day. Most days thats the only travelling these cars do.

I guess the surrey policy on supplying them could be different to S Glos. However the legal stand point would be the same.

Allthough the website suggest otherwise.
linky

However, if they were provided before that requirement came into force they may not wish to remove them.

Interstingly the downloadable form also confirms the non enforcable and shared nature of the bays.

[Edited on 30-11-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

morcus

posted on 30/11/12 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just looked it up and they seem almost identical.

Krismc

posted on 30/11/12 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
Our family live on a new housing estate with the road round the back of the houses for access as its on a hill, The builder put a numbered bay at each house and visitors bay to share between each house. Ie. 3 bays marked like 33, Visitors , 34. etc

The council have just taken over the estate and have changed all the visitor bay markings to disabled (although boxed in yellow, not white like stated above) and at each end of the houses they have changed all 3 bays to disabled.

For each row of 10 semis... there is wait for it.....9 Disabled bays. Now I deal with disabled people every day at work (I tend to say less abled ) but I have never went to a street where 9 bays are required per 10 houses. And. Now heres the funny bit....

The access to the rear of the property's from the disabled bay is up a kerb (not ramped), through a gate 625mm wide, down 4 steps and across a back garden path 600mm wide, then up a step 200mm high, through a 900mm wide french door where one side doesnt open as it doesnt have a handle leaving 450mm opening. Or you could struggle round to the front of the house down the rear street with no pavement.

or you can park round the front which is more level that the rear, but doesnt have marked bays and you can park 10ft from your front door.

I love the council, they are always thinking.

[Edited on 30/11/12 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

marcjagman

posted on 30/11/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
Nope:

A council applied parking space is non enforcable unless it is accompanied by a blue badge sign:

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-and-transport/parking/disabled-parking-bays

Which it is

steve m

posted on 30/11/12 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
My Niece bought a house that had a disabled space outside the front, and quiered "if she parked her car there, would she get a ticket" and the answer was No, as it was an advisory saying that a person with a disability lived there, and it was not a legal disabled parking spot, ie in a town centre

Good thing for her, is that she 99% of the time can park outside her house, as no on else does!
Also Council have said, that the space will remain untill the road needs resurfacing, due cost

She's well happy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.