mookaloid

posted on 22/1/13 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
a bit harsh

are all farmers like this?

Farmer wrecks car with fork lift

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

swanny

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Can't quite see how the accidental damage to the farmers fence means its ok for the farmer to claim expenses yet the 'accidental' (let's be generous) damage to the car cannot be claimed as it was unintentional.
theduck

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
What a *bleep*

Surely if felt he needed to move the car he could have done so in a less destructive manner!

RK

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
What an ass. I would go punch his lights out and see if his fence is still a priority.
perksy

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
Did a similar thing was i was younger

Late one night and not hanging about in a 205 GTI and a mate who said he knew the road called it "hard Left" and it was really "Hard Right"
Cut a long story short i knocked a sandstone wall down
To be fair the farmer was really good about it and said "You ain't the first mon and yer won't be the last.."
Cost £175 for the wall to be put right but at least he didn't come at me with his shotgun

Slimy38

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
So the rest of us have to put up with all sorts of poor parking and blocked access to our homes, yet along comes farmer Giles with a fork lift and tears the car a new one? I'll remember that next time I find some inconsiderate t**t blocking my route and I have to break a window to release the handbrake...

I don't understand the 'malicious' bit, surely it's criminal damage regardless of the farmers intent?

(Although I do wonder whether the driver would have offered to pay for the fence damage if the car was still movable... I somehow doubt that he'd have left a note attached to the post)

[Edited on 22/1/13 by Slimy38]

[Edited on 22/1/13 by Slimy38]

Dopdog

posted on 22/1/13 at 10:45 PM Reply With Quote
i would burn down all his fences and his sheep if he did that to me
loggyboy

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dopdog
i would burn down all his fences and his sheep if he did that to me

+1
Read my mind

Mistral Motorsport

hillbillyracer

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
They aint many like that thankfully, as an agric engineer I know plenty. But I do know a few that I dont care for! He's right to deal with the car in order to make the fence stock-proof & some attempt to contact the farmer by the driver would have been a good move but there's little chance there was no way to remove the car without causing so much damage with the forks.
Of course, we dont know how badly damaged it was by the accident itself, the O/S/F wheel looks to be knocked back in the arch & little chance that was the farmer. How much care would you take in retrieving an obviously knackered car so you can mend the fence on a snowy night?

The Venom Project

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:49 PM Reply With Quote
I would go and pull all his fences down, and then use a rifle to put all his windows through,

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

The Venom Project

posted on 22/1/13 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
I was involved in a crash resulting in my friend rolling his car and destroying a persons wall, not only did we pay for the wall, we also repaired the wall, no harm no foul, it's malicious damage by the farmer, surely he is insured for such damage, I would be really fucked off if I had to leave my car in a ditch, walk the rest of the way home or to work, do a hard days work to find he had done this to my car... Any excuse for the lazy pie and donut eating patrol to not get involved, they seem to do as little as possible for most of the people, seem to care about protecting criminals more.

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

coyoteboy

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

How much care would you take in retrieving an obviously knackered car so you can mend the fence on a snowy night?

Lots. Because I don't suppose the person did it on purpose and they may not have the cash to have someone else repair it, just as I didn't as a youngster. If I didn't I'd be a royal asshat. And I could happily build a temporary fence around the vehicle to stop a field of sheep, until it could be removed (wouldn't take long to contact the police, find the owner and ask them to organise recovery if they hadn't already) rather than having to move it that second and build a replacement fence in the same spot.

Just goes to show that many farmers think they are a law unto themselves. I had to park my car in a farm road (off the fast 60 road, carefully away from animals, out of path of the tractor, not behind a gated entrance, not near anything I could obstruct) and left a note pointing out I was looking after a bunch of D of E students who had gone missing and dark was approaching. Came back to find my (white) car scrawled all over with permanent marker on every panel with "no parking".

I've met a few nice farmers, I've met more asshat farmers though. Though of course I'm sure it's testing at times, a little perspective is needed by them.

[Edited on 23/1/13 by coyoteboy]

snapper

posted on 23/1/13 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
On my way to work one off the admin staff was in a ploughed field after a slippery corner , I got her out and as I got her to my car farmer grumpy arse came along looked at his field, grunted and walked off!
No " is she alright" " does she want to sit in the house while the rescue truck comes?"
No just grunts and walks off miserable ba5t4rd

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

snakebelly

posted on 23/1/13 at 07:48 AM Reply With Quote
and yet i bet he doesnt give a toss none of his trailers are road leagl or that he drops crap off the back of his trailers into the path of vehicles behind him, etc, etc, etc I live in rural shropshire and although i know a couple of decent farmers on the whole the family sized farms are run by miserable gits!
steve m

posted on 23/1/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
His actions are rather over the top, but i can understand part of his frustration,

friends of my parents lived on a corner, and had a fantastic hedge that was beutifully kept, yet every year when the roads get iccy, some twat would plow through the hedge, and cause so much damage, it would take years to repair,
that was untill he had a small wall about 2 feet high , and about 3 feet thick made, of concrete, all around his corner plot and the hedge grew over the top

I seem to remember him telling us that after the first couple of cars that hit it were right offs, yet no damage to his wall, no one ever hit it again

Irony

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
I work and live in a area with a lot of farms and I bloody hate farmers. They roll around with the tractors and combines that are so dangerous. Its not uncommon to see a tractor with bail spikes on it charging down my street with the spike pointing forward. I live on a housing estate and one farmer cuts through the estate with his HUGE combine squeezing it between parked cars to get to his field on the other side. They is a slightly longer main road he could take. They make me so cross!!!!!

Rant over, deep breaths.

If that was my car I would sneak back 6 months later and possibly due some property damage.

mcerd1

posted on 23/1/13 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
His actions are rather over the top, but i can understand part of his frustration,
my thoughts exactly

its also quite possible that this farmer is a bit of a d*** (there are quite a few around - just like in most other professions)
and yes some are lazy b*******s who'll take the 5min shortcut down the narrow street or dual carageway at rush hour
(I've worked for a few of them - they arn't all like this)

think about it this way for a second:

someone drives into your garden fence, you give them a hand to pull the car out, they pay up for the damage - you'd be a bit annoyed but no real harm

then it happens again when your not there, by the time you see the damage they are long gone, the cars gone and your neighbours didn't see the reg. - you've now got a hole in you fence that you've got to pay for..

then it happens again, and again and again and again....... with 90% of folk recovering the car and doing a runner before you get there and half the time its some wee ned (read 'chav' south of the border) in his claped out old saxo/corsa with half of halfords stuck to it who thought his car could handle like the rally cars he drives on his x-box....

then throw in the fact that this is taking money and time out of your business / livelihood

then throw in that any stock (aka: animals) in the field can now escape (more time and money down the drain) and you may even find yourself at least partly liable for any accidents / damage caused buy them

I know of a couple of farms near here where someone crashes into one of there fields about 25 - 30 times a year, how long would your patience last ?

from presonal experience - we found out that we'd be liable for any of the dry stone walls falling onto the road - even though it had been knocked onto the road by a car that ran off without trying to contact anyone (not even a note through the door of the house 50 yards away)
luckly for us no one hit the stone on the road before we could clear it - otherwise they could claim against us and we'd just have to pay

so yes is responce was a bit OTT (i.e. he could have dragged it out with a chain - would still do damage, but no mre than a recovery truck would), but I can see how he could get that frustrated...

[Edited on 23/1/2013 by mcerd1]

-

dhutch

posted on 23/1/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hillbillyracerHow much care would you take in retrieving an obviously knackered car so you can mend the fence on a snowy night?
None, I would leave the car there and put a temp fence around it and the broken fence.

I does look like the wheel was damaged by it coming off the road, but things like that are repairable, and its certainly no reason to write off the shell without speaking to the police/owner.

Obviously if it was clear the sheep could escape you ort to make and effort to contact the farmer, however, that can be easier said than done, and ultimatly to a certain extent once you have reported it to the police your legal obligations are fullfilled.

Daniel

JoelP

posted on 23/1/13 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
What stinks to me is that if he had enough grip to lift it and move it, why couldn't he just drag it out backwards?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Nick DV

posted on 23/1/13 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
What makes me laugh, is the typical 'cop out' response (no pun intended) from the police!! Nuff said!!

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

dhutch

posted on 23/1/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
What stinks to me is that if he had enough grip to lift it and move it, why couldn't he just drag it out backwards?
Easier not to and he doesnt give a stuff.

Jump in the tellihandler and drive down to it, forks through the roof, dump in the yard, done. Fencing time.
Dont need to get a rope, dont even need to get out of the cab, not even got his hands mucky yet.

Daniel

morcus

posted on 23/1/13 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
As said before not all farmers are like this, but I have come across and worked for alot of them who really did believe normal laws didn't apply to them, in some ways the poor guys who car it was got off lightly, Someone I work with had a simillar thing happen to them, He claims he fell of the road because someone was driving very fast in the middle of the road coming towards him as a result he ended up in an empty field in the middle of the night. Phones the police they say they'll deal with it later so he got someone to pick him up and left a note on the car as it was about 11 at night to say he'd come round to sort it tommorrow. Comes back around noon to find his car burnt out and shot up and has the same thing but with the farmer demanding payment in Cash as some sort of fine for leaving a car in the field and did so armed with a shotgun.

Not all of them are like this, but unfortunatly alot of them seem to be.

Another point, is something keeps happening, would it not make sense to try doing something else? If someone kept knocking down my fence I think by the third or fourth time I'd build a different kind of fence or build two fences or something.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.