Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sealing a raceline sump
RallyReason

posted on 2/3/13 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Sealing a raceline sump

Having decided to bight the bullet and get a raceline sump for a Blacktop Zetec, i cant seem to be able to get it to seal near the rear main.

Fitted it first time with a genuine ford gasket. Used correct sealant and everything spotless. Tightened up the mounting bolts as suggested. Took for a run and a slight weep between the engine and gearbox.

Today i removed the sump, another new gasket. Cleaned all the surfaces. Put correct sealant on again. Refitted and tightened the bolts as recommended. Took it for a run. Leaking in the same area.

Due to the location of where the oil is (Between sump and gearbox) i am unable to be 100% it the sump.

Has anyone else had any issues, or had something similar?

I thought i would ask before i take the engine out and check everything.

loggyboy

posted on 2/3/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
Clean up the rest of the engine will be the only way to trace if its not the sump. Any signs of oil further up the engine?
Which gasket were you using? Try just using sealant alone as the gasket might be incorrect.

Mistral Motorsport

Ben_Copeland

posted on 2/3/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Rear crank seal maybe?

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

RallyReason

posted on 2/3/13 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
The engine is already clean.

Unable to tell if it is leaking from the sump gasket or rear main due to the gearbox being in the way.

The first gasket was a ford one supplied by Raceline. The second one is a aftermarket one.

I have looked at another Zetec with a Raceline fitted and that one was weeping in the same area and has been for around 8k. However i do not like oil leaks on my cars.
Was hoping that someone may have had similar problem with the same Zetec - Raceline combination.

deeceee09

posted on 2/3/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm

I have a leak on my Raceline Duratec sump. Have not really investigated it properly yet but also have a leak on their cam cover due to poor machining. Could porosity cause this problem on the sump I wonder?

Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.

RallyReason

posted on 3/3/13 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
That is a possibility.
Looks like the only way to tell is to remove the engine, clutch and flywheel. I will then be able to see where the oil is coming from.

Was hoping to not have to do this. Car is booked on RR on the 12th.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.