Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cv boots - how to make stronger?
Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cv boots - how to make stronger?

I am dealing with a problem in my Spitfire with Hayabusa engine.

I have a driveshaft from the engine to the rear diff and had to replace the UV joint with CV joint on the driveshaft.
(The UV joints made the car shake because the engine is not inline with the diff.)

The CV boots cant handle the driveshaft high speed, and blows/rips all the time. They are to soft and wimpy.

Does anyone have a good tip on how I can make the CV boots stronger? Someone here mentioned using zip tie on the boot.
- Any other solution? Or will using zip tie solve the problem?

Thanks

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gremlin1234

posted on 23/3/13 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
late spitfires used a cv joint on the prop without problems,

but a quick check reminds me that they didn't have rubber, but metal covers

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500propellorshaft.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=g earbox&xsl=diagram.xsl

link

edit, to make link work

[Edited on 23/3/13 by gremlin1234]

Slimy38

posted on 23/3/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would a better quality boot help? The VW ones fitted to my car are incredibly tough, far stronger than the ones I fitted to my old Vauxhall. More like flexible plastic rather than rubber?

Why did the UV joints cause the car to shake? I thought having the engine and diff out of alignment was actually a good thing?

Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

http://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xhtml/diagram/spitfire1500propellorshaft.html&xhtmlcatalogue=xhtml/catalogue/spitfire1500.html&category=g earbox&xsl=diagram.xsl

link

edit, to make link work

Yes the standard Spitfire have UV on the driveshaft/prop, but mine is no longer standard, I wrote I did replace the old engine with a Hayabusa engine, and that is a different story. I had to replace the prop and was using in the beginning very strong UV, but because the Hayabusa engine have the drive output axle on the right hand side the prop is not alligned with the diff. And that caused some very unpleasant vibration in the hole car. The vibration was gone when using the CV joint.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
CNHSS1

posted on 23/3/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
ive got silicone cv boots for a sierra fitted to mine

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Would a better quality boot help? The VW ones fitted to my car are incredibly tough, far stronger than the ones I fitted to my old Vauxhall. More like flexible plastic rather than rubber?

Why did the UV joints cause the car to shake? I thought having the engine and diff out of alignment was actually a good thing?

Probably t a better/stiffer boot would solve the problem, but I cant find any with 22 mm and 68 mm.

When using UV joints, the flange on the diff and on the engine has to be 100% (or almost) aligned, in my car this is not the case.

Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
One idea was to use zap tie and some flexible and strong material around the boot, but I haven't found what material I could use for this purpose...
Maybe I could strap somekind of a rubber around the boot and strap it together?

I was also thinking of some kind of a plastic material I could fit around the boot and heat it so it would fit very tight on the boot?

adithorp

posted on 23/3/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
some manufacturerused large O rings in the groves of the boot. renault fromancient memory. also makesure the boots you're using aren't strrretch ones.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

whitestu

posted on 23/3/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

some manufacturerused large O rings in the groves of the boot. renault fromancient memory. also makesure the boots you're using aren't strrretch ones

My BX GTI had those.

Stu

gremlin1234

posted on 23/3/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northpole
quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234

link

edit, to make link work

Yes the standard Spitfire have UV on the driveshaft/prop, but mine is no longer standard, I wrote I did replace the old engine with a Hayabusa engine, and that is a different story. I had to replace the prop and was using in the beginning very strong UV, but because the Hayabusa engine have the drive output axle on the right hand side the prop is not alligned with the diff. And that caused some very unpleasant vibration in the hole car. The vibration was gone when using the CV joint.

as I wrote, some spitfires did use CV joints - with metal covers.
see tkc1754/ tkc1755 in link (cv at front uj at rear)

Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
some manufacturerused large O rings in the groves of the boot. renault fromancient memory. also makesure the boots you're using aren't strrretch ones.

Very good idea! Thanks I will look into this solution.

designer

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

When using UV joints, the flange on the diff and on the engine has to be 100% (or almost) aligned, in my car this is not the case.

Engine and diff flange do not have to be 100% aligned. They both have to be parallel to the centreline of the car.

Northpole

posted on 23/3/13 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
quote:

Engine and diff flange do not have to be 100% aligned. They both have to be parallel to the centreline of the car.

Correct, sorry for my English...

Northpole

posted on 24/3/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone have experience with cable tie on CV inner ribs boots?

[Edited on 24/3/13 by Northpole]

Slimy38

posted on 24/3/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Northpole
Anyone have experience with cable tie on CV inner ribs boots?

My tintop inner CV boot is strapped on with cable ties in place of the metal locking ties that need a particular tool to clamp in place. Never had any trouble with it and it's passed an MOT, although I'm guessing it's spinning around 3.5 times slower than your application?

cliftyhanger

posted on 24/3/13 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.raceparts.co.uk/products/drive_train.asp?section=GKN+CV+Boots

any good?

I am using them for my rear CV conversion on a spitfire as "nprmal" boots are too large. These ones are good for very high rpm (18000 from memory)

Northpole

posted on 24/3/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
Very interesting, as mine is spinning at a very high speed and the boots simply blows up and the grease comes out overall.

As I am having trouble finding better stiffer boots, I read somewhere I could simply use cable (or zip) tie on the inner diameter of the boots itself pls see attached picture), this would make the boot stiffer and not blow up.

Any comments? Has anyone tried this?

CV Boot
CV Boot

adithorp

posted on 24/3/13 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
They'd probably work, but the corners on the "buckle" might wear through the boot over time.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

hillbillyracer

posted on 24/3/13 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
You need the style of boot like these here: JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIBERTY FRONT PROPSHAFT TRANSFER CASE REAR CV JOINT BOOT KIT | eBay

I think the ones in cliftyhanger's link are like that, but the pics dont show the shape too well.
The rubber of the boot is supported by the steel collar so it cant expand at the higher rpm of the propshaft.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.