Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Race cars on the road
number-1

posted on 18/4/13 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
Race cars on the road

Ive heard a rumor that a single seater race car that is over 10 years old, if it passes a daytime mot and is insured can be road legal without an IVA? Is there any truth in this?
Andy S

posted on 18/4/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
Hear this rumor a couple of weeks or so ago did you?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 18/4/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it was registered before SVA came out, then it is legal

Just Reread... No doesnt matter how old it is. If its not registered, then it cant go on the road. If it was registered before SVA then it can.

[Edited on 18/4/13 by Ben_Copeland]

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

deezee

posted on 18/4/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
No, total nonsense. If its not registered and its going on the road and it needs an IVA.

matt_gsxr

posted on 18/4/13 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
It is true if you are driving to a booked IVA test (or back from one).
chrism

posted on 18/4/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
This might be from someone misunderstanding the rule for imports.

You can register an imported car over 10 years old without an IVA, but you do need the original registration document or an export document.

----------------------------
A little hard work never killed anyone, but why take the risk!
-----------------------------

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/4/13 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
There's my old Jedi on the road then, if that one's true (which I really don't think it is)!
b14wrc

posted on 18/4/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, the import thing sounds like what might be confusing people. I imported my Celica GTfour in 2007 on a 1994 plate, as it was over 10 all I had to do was mot and register it.

I had the export paper work to prove the deregistration in Japan.

Rob

20vt powered rear engined locost

russbost

posted on 18/4/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
It's not just imports as I understand it, I believe if you had something like a mass produced golf cart & could prove over 10 years old & it would pass MoT then yes I think you could register (tho' no doubt open to interpretation by whichever DVLA local office was looking at it - till they close of course) however definitely doesn't apply to race cars - I have investigated this route b4 - trust me!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
cps13

posted on 20/4/13 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see how it being a single seater negates the requirements any other car has. How do you prove the age of an unregistered car? Track or not.

To me its a kit car with one seat and if you want to use it on the road then you would have to go down the same procedure as you would for a new kit car.

I may be wrong tho.

hellblue

posted on 21/4/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
There have been a few cases of 1970s & 80s (even early 90s) custom cars & hotrods that have been ok & able to be used still with no iva test even though today they would need the test
Because they were built from a "registered" car before I think its 1997 ? so if an old race car was built from a "registered" car back then & if it had build history to prove that & after no doubt a dvla inspection lf it passed an mot (like every other car) then it could be used on the road

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.