Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bedford cf2, what would you do?
timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
bedford cf2, what would you do?

Hello, I'm brand new here, but Google threw up an interesting post about an engine swap in a cf2 so I thought I'd join up. Here's my situation...

I own an 86 Bedford cf2 panel van. Rough looking old beast that I love more than life itself. Last autumn I began talks with a company called retro engines ltd in somerset about giving my van a bit more power. The man at retro engines recommended fitting an Essex v6. We talked it through in great detail over a few weeks and eventually I took my van down to him, with an Essex and gearbox from a Scimitar in the back, and handed over a deposit.

To cut a long story short... I was lucky to get my van back. The significant number of victims that have surfaced since the owner of that business went into hiding in novembwer last year have lost a lot more than me. Not just thousands of pounds but engines and vehicles too. I learned a valuable lesson, experienced getting ripped off for the first time in my life, but lived to tell the tale, with my van, minus a chunk of cash that I can afford to lose, an engine and gearbox.

So here's my problem... All in all I lost too much money to be able to afford a v6 or v8 conversion, but my van is weak and under powered. I can live with it, it keeps up with traffic, but I would like to explore 'second best' options now of trying squeeze just a tiny bit more power out of the 2.0cih low comp petrol engine.

It currently has a 34ich carb on it. I am contemplating putting a new 32 36 weber on, a different cam, a better exhaust... Maybe having an engine rebuild before all that... Anything to increase the power of the existing engine a modest amount now that I no longer have enough funds for an engine swap.

The only other thought is to switch for an Opel manta GTE engine and ancilliaries as that would, I presume, slot in nicely without engine bay modifications.

I was wondering if anyone could offer any thoughts, insights, tips etc about what I should do before I start spending the remainder of my funds on carbs and cams and exhausts. I'm not looking to build a drag strip monster, just have a bit more power.

jacko

posted on 27/4/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Hi sorry to read about the problems you have / had .
You say a manta engine will fit so i would think a ford zetec 2l would go in and a type9 gear box .
If you do a serch on here you will find no end of info on zetec combination's
jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Ninehigh

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Hi sorry to read about the problems you have / had .
You say a manta engine will fit so i would think a ford zetec 2l would go in and a type9 gear box .
If you do a serch on here you will find no end of info on zetec combination's
jacko

This

Probably a tdci would be an improvement too

Slimy38

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ninehigh

Probably a tdci would be an improvement too

This would be my logical thinking when it comes to van powerplants, but that's only because I drove one petrol powered transit and hated every second whereas all diesels have been decent to drive (well, as much as a transit can!).

blakep82

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
i'd be looking at a ford diesel myself these days i think. rwd transit should hold everything you need?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Jacko. Its worth considering that.
I suppose i'm drawn to the manta lump for the simple (and possibly naive) reason that the Bedford engine is the same engine block as the manta GTE... So it would possibly be a more straightforward switch. I arrived here because Nat from Retro power posted in February advertising a cf2 beavertail for sale, which they had implanted a manta engine, running gear and ancilliaries into. I've emailed retropower just now to enquire if that is still for sale. I'll wait and see what they say.

Ironically, right at the beginning, when I first purchased the van, I made a couple of inquiries at retro power, but ultimately decided on retro engines two years later when I was ready. I deeply regret that costly decision now, which made on the basis that the retro engines man claimed he could do it right away. Its possible to promise anything when you aren't intending to actually do it I guess!

blakep82

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
Nat's on here btw, nsdev is his name.
i think you may struggle to find a manta GTE engine for decent money these days, but what about an ecotec? way cheaper, tuning parts are available from SBD, and still the same block! Omega gearbox will fit straight up too

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
TDCIs have been dropped into beddies in the past. The general consensus amongst beddieheads is that they are INSANELY noisey, and don't offer any real power improvement over the 2.0cih engine. My van is surprisingly fleet of foot on pull away, up to about 40mph... After that acceleration becomes modest andleisurely, and the top speed is about 80mph. Any long uphill stretch will take that back to about 60mph.

I'd rather stick with petrol than diesel also... For entirely irrational reasons of still believing petrol engines to be better.

big_wasa

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
I love a zetec, cheap and easy. Use tha standard efi and have an easy reliable 150bhp.
timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Nat's on here btw, nsdev is his name.

Yes... I'm hoping he might still have the beavertail for sale with the manta engine in. I would be interested in buying and I'm also hoping he might be able to quote me for swapping out the manta gear from the beaver tail into my panel van!!!!

timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasazetec, cheap and easy....reliable 150bhp.

Sounds great but I would imagine there's one hell of a lot of fettling required to get that into an 86 Bedford.

Will look into it though, cheers.

britishtrident

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a Transit --- I knew the CF's back in their heyday a very inferior van to the early Transits, even when new they were horrible soggy things to drive terrible bump steer

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Volvorsport

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
volvo 740/940 turbo ...........

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

big_wasa

posted on 27/4/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
The ford Mt75 is very similar to the Manta Getrag and bolts on to a zetec no bother.
timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Britishtrident, an irrational love of bedfords prevents me from considering a transit. Its a labour of love. I love the mk1 and mk2 trannies, but the few remaining examples change hand as for insane amounts of money. PS George Grosz 's 1928 artwork... Interesting and distinct choice of avatar image!
timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
MT75.... That's what I had, and lost, along with the Essex V6.

Ninehigh

posted on 27/4/13 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by timbedford
MT75.... That's what I had, and lost, along with the Essex V6.

Is it the Chinese or the Japanese that apparently have the same word for "chrisis" and "opportunity"?
If it all went well you'd be driving it with a great heavy lump in there, now you can have a Zetec or something else much better!

timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
So... It seems so far that the recommendation is to stick with an engine swap rather than noodling about with my engine to try and eke out a bit more power.

Seems like I need to start looking into options then. The missus is going to love it when I buy another engine (or possibly an entire donor car)!

Thanks for feedback and advice thus far!

austin man

posted on 27/4/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
you could alway pic up a cheap diesel granada or sierra and use the engine and box

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

rusty nuts

posted on 27/4/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Vauxhall Omega v6 should fit, I've fitted a Rover lump in an old CF so should have thought the V6 would fit
Ninehigh

posted on 27/4/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
you could alway pic up a cheap diesel granada or sierra and use the engine and box

You can still get them?

timbedford

posted on 27/4/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hello Rusty nuts,

The V6 requires a lot of engine bay and bulkhead reworking, and then it would require a new interior engine cowl, single passenger seat, moving the gear stick or going automatic so new pedal box, plus I never got far enough to know if the steering rack would be okay and all that stuff... It starts to add up to a lot of stuff.
Since getting ripped off, I just can't afford to go down that road any more ... I can't do the work myself... So I now need to consider options that are more 'plug and play'.

My thinking was 'make the best of what you have, throw a few toys at it and see if you can squeeze a bit more enthusiasm out of the existing engine'. This would be the least complicated way forward. 250 quid on a carb, 200 on a piper cam (they actually supply a cam kit for this engine believe it or not), get a better exhaust (better as in better not 'halfords rocketship funnel', the usual boy racer bits and bobs, but without expecting miracles... Just trying to tease a wee bit more juice out of the old girl.

That would be the less obtrusive option, but I'd be throwing a lot of money at a lacklustre dinosaur engine and possibly seeing very little improvement.

If I can slot in an ecotec, or a zetec, without having to carve out the engine bay, that may be the best option.

Slimy38

posted on 28/4/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
TDCIs have been dropped into beddies in the past. The general consensus amongst beddieheads is that they are INSANELY noisey, and don't offer any real power improvement over the 2.0cih engine. My van is surprisingly fleet of foot on pull away, up to about 40mph... After that acceleration becomes modest andleisurely, and the top speed is about 80mph. Any long uphill stretch will take that back to about 60mph.

I'd rather stick with petrol than diesel also... For entirely irrational reasons of still believing petrol engines to be better.

Just out of interest, why are they noisy? I don't remember the Focus or Mondeo being that noisy? Although I suspect there may be a large amount of noise reducing foam involved there. And thinking about it Transits are noisier than the car applications.

I have to respect the petrol preference though, after all you could never describe a car enthusiast as a dieselhead!

Simon

posted on 28/4/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Agree with op re transits, bedford cf has a fab shape. A friend had one all muralled with rover v8. We reckon it did about 10 mpg

I'm gonna suggest diesel, but 330 bmw and if the bulkhead needs modifying, so be it Lots of torques and economy, youll just need to change the f/d to something more appropriate.

ATB

Simon

scudderfish

posted on 28/4/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
My thinking was 'make the best of what you have, throw a few toys at it and see if you can squeeze a bit more enthusiasm out of the existing engine'. This would be the least complicated way forward. 250 quid on a carb, 200 on a piper cam (they actually supply a cam kit for this engine believe it or not), get a better exhaust (better as in better not 'halfords rocketship funnel', the usual boy racer bits and bobs, but without expecting miracles... Just trying to tease a wee bit more juice out of the old girl.

So you've already mentally allocated a budget of at least £450. You must be able to get a decent Ford engine, gearbox and fit it for that.

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.