Wimbledon...

It's Evolution Baby!

nick205

posted on 8/7/13 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Good lad

Annoyed I didn't watch it now!

fesycresy

posted on 8/7/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Well done, nice to have a British winner.

Yes British, unless he loses then he's Scottish

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Daddylonglegs

posted on 8/7/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Tennis has never been my bag, and TBH Murray never inspired me with his charisma, but fair play to the guy, and good to see a Brit winning it

[Edited on 8/7/13 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

scootz

posted on 8/7/13 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
... TBH Murray never inspired me with his charisma...

Not picking on you here Daddy LL but I've selectively picked this bit out of your post as it relates to a programme I was listening to last night on TalkSport and I was going to discuss it anyway in the thread.

This phone-in 'debate' didn't so much surround his incredible achievement earlier that day, but more his apparent lack of personality. It almost made my blood boil!

We are such a strange nation when it comes to sports. Very few other nationalities care about their countryman athletes 'personality'. They are far more focussed on their professional acheivements. And for me, that's the way it should be.

Andy Murray is an exceptional athlete and the reason he probably got to this level is because of his single-mindedness and dedication to achievement. It doesn't leave much room for developing a media-friendly persona.

Factor in the horror he experienced as a child at Dunblane primary school when 16 of his friends and one of his teachers were massacred by a man he knew well whilst he was sat in the next classroom, and it's easy to understand why he's an introverted character.

Our media doesn't help either. His 'anyone but England' comment was a one-liner delivered as a cheeky dig. The sort of comment that is normal in sporting rivalries (think about the barbed digs which are normal between Australia and England and you get the idea). I would have thought that most (all?) Englishmen would have taken it in the nature it was intended, but the media whipped up such a storm that this young non-media savvy lad was villified. By his own admission, his confidence in speaking publicly was shattered and he retreated further into his shell.

I watch sports to see sportsmen and women do incredible things in their area of expertise... I'm not really fussed about their post-event intervews or appearances on talk-shows (something Andy Murray does very little of). I'm also glad that he's not interested in the glitz and glamour, the scandal, or the need-to-be-loved culture.

Our infatuation with (often talentless) 'celebrity' baffles me. As does our love for perennial losers!

It's Evolution Baby!

whitestu

posted on 8/7/13 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Totally agree Scootz - I actually think Murray appears to have a great outlook and doesn't get too excited one way or the other, which in my book is a lot more appealing than bursting into tears every time you win or lose.

Stu

sdh2903

posted on 8/7/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I totally agree with Scootz. He's a tennis player not a proffesional public speaker. He gave up his teenage years to concentrate on his sport and has become the 2nd ranked player in the WORLD, not bad from a lad from a small village in scotlandshire. Who really cares if hes not a glamour junkie who likes a quiet life and is a bit nervous talking infront of 15 thousand people. I get the heebie jeebies standing up and talking in front of 6 people!

As for the england vs scotland debate, I'm an englishman living in Scotland and love the banter of the sporting rivalries in rugby, football etc but I'm also able to lend my support to a scottish football team playing in europe. I'm not as one eyed as some folk and can see we're all one on this little island. Well for now unless mr Salmond gets his way then I might retreat back South of the wall

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 8/7/13 at 03:51 PM Reply With Quote
They amazed me with their sheer athleticism and skill. I love to watch or learn about anything which pushes the boundaries of human talent, tennis included. Personality isn't an issue.

Some of the things which stand out for me

Clean and jerk WR at 263kg
Speed solving a rubicks cube in 6s
Jonathon Edwards jumping 18.29 Triple jump WR
Watching Jerry Reed play finger style guitar.
Speed Rock climbing

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

dave

posted on 8/7/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Well for now unless mr Salmond gets his way then I might retreat back South of the wall

Lets hope wee Eck doesn't, he's a wee shi7e.

Johneturbo

posted on 8/7/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by Daddylonglegs
... TBH Murray never inspired me with his charisma...

Not picking on you here Daddy LL but I've selectively picked this bit out of your post as it relates to a programme I was listening to last night on TalkSport and I was going to discuss it anyway in the thread.

This phone-in 'debate' didn't so much surround his incredible achievement earlier that day, but more his apparent lack of personality. It almost made my blood boil!

We are such a strange nation when it comes to sports. Very few other nationalities care about their countryman athletes 'personality'. They are far more focussed on their professional acheivements. And for me, that's the way it should be.

Andy Murray is an exceptional athlete and the reason he probably got to this level is because of his single-mindedness and dedication to achievement. It doesn't leave much room for developing a media-friendly persona.

Factor in the horror he experienced as a child at Dunblane primary school when 16 of his friends and one of his teachers were massacred by a man he knew well whilst he was sat in the next classroom, and it's easy to understand why he's an introverted character.

Our media doesn't help either. His 'anyone but England' comment was a one-liner delivered as a cheeky dig. The sort of comment that is normal in sporting rivalries (think about the barbed digs which are normal between Australia and England and you get the idea). I would have thought that most (all?) Englishmen would have taken it in the nature it was intended, but the media whipped up such a storm that this young non-media savvy lad was villified. By his own admission, his confidence in speaking publicly was shattered and he retreated further into his shell.

I watch sports to see sportsmen and women do incredible things in their area of expertise... I'm not really fussed about their post-event intervews or appearances on talk-shows (something Andy Murray does very little of). I'm also glad that he's not interested in the glitz and glamour, the scandal, or the need-to-be-loved culture.

Our infatuation with (often talentless) 'celebrity' baffles me. As does our love for perennial losers!

Shame you don't have the same view on all our "athletes" acheivements ie lewis Hamilton!

clanger

posted on 8/7/13 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
well done to the fella, again I'm no tennis fan but respect to the achievement. winning a major tournament at the top of your chosen sport takes some doing. whatever the sport is
typical of the British press and media over-hyping things though. As I said I'm no tennis fan and the sometimes +16hrs coverage on BBC every day made my blood boil
Pity the Beeb wouldn't shell out some of that cash to get some Lions coverage, and even some Tour de France coverage so we don't have to have adverts every 30secs !!!!

scootz

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johneturbo
Shame you don't have the same view on all our "athletes" acheivements i.e. Lewis Hamilton!

I've always respected LH's achievements and I was delighted that a Brit took the title in 2008.

Yes, I've made it clear that there were periods where I thought he was acting like a spoilt-brat or endangering other drivers, but l would always cheer him over the line if it was a straight fight between him and a non-Brit driver.

It's Evolution Baby!

coozer

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
And, dont forget Le Tour de France, our Chris Froome is currently in the yellow jersey (the lead) by a healthy margin..

Still a long way to go mind you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/23220128

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

scootz

posted on 8/7/13 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Another of my favourite sports photos...

It's Evolution Baby!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.