Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Rover V8 Starter?
thetankwad

posted on 19/12/04 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Rover V8 Starter?

Rover V8 wont start. Wont turn over. Wont even click. I'm wondering how to faultfind the solenoid? any ideas?
Oh, and its definetely the starter, thers current everywhere else.
Its snugly at the bottom of my engine bay too, so removal is not desired!

--Lets get down to Business!--

Donners90

posted on 19/12/04 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar problem

Firstly what type of starter is it? I have an older type one (1976), and it was the link lead between the solenoid and the motor that was not passing current (badly corroded, but didn't look like it from the outside). Made up a new one and it worked first time.

Does the motor turn/run if you put a positive feed directly on the motor terminal and bypass the solenoid? You should be able to do this in situ, as it shouldn't throw the cog out.

Could however be the solenoid however I was quoted £80 for a rebuild inc solenoid, so it may be cheaper to find one on ebay or summint!

HTH
James

thetankwad

posted on 20/12/04 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Its the later type from a sd1. tried bypassing the electrics to the solenoid with no result.I have power going direct to the motor which i have checked already to be ok. Will try running a new earth strap from motor to shell and see what difference that makes.

kaymar

posted on 20/12/04 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
using a multi meter put negative clip to posotive of battry, put posotive clip to lead from battery to starter at the point it bolts to starter turn key and take a reading then move clip to other pole of solenoid turn key take a reading finally attach to copper braided wire from solenoid io starter body. i know this does not sound right tracing one side of a circuit but if you see .5volts or higher on meter this prves were your volt drop is in the circuit, dont forget works on chassis earth as well from negative pole on battery
Bob C

posted on 20/12/04 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
I had a fair bit of trouble with the starter motor on my V8 mx5 - turned out in the end to be problem with immobiliser.
If you have to get another watch out, there's an incredible range of shapes and sizes out there... note the recent 4.6 starter motors from landrover are the smallest & neatest of the bunch - might save you having to dig holes in your subframe for clearance.
Cheers
Bob

britishtrident

posted on 20/12/04 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
Give it a thump -- sometimes the fork pivot sticks.
thetankwad

posted on 24/12/04 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
back to the car today. Thanks for the tips, the hammer one sounds like the best one! Will let you know how i get on.

blueshift

posted on 26/12/04 at 11:47 PM Reply With Quote
I rebuilt my v8 starter motor (brushes had worn right down, broken off and damaged the winding). Pictures here, don't know if they'll be any help.

http://www.leetfighter.com/gallery/starter

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.