Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help! Bought a blade engine on a whim!
Mad Scientist

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Help! Bought a blade engine on a whim!

I'll start with the moral of the story........never buy a cbr929rry engine, in bits, after a drink!

Question is.............. I now have a complete engine that requires a rebuild. Its going to need a gasket set and big ends...............where to go?

I also need to know everything else I will need to get this in the locost (eg wiring loom, cdi etc) as I will have to source these separately. If its going to cost the earth, i'll stick the bits I have on fleebay.

All advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Pete

zxrlocost

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:08 AM Reply With Quote
the last part sounds better
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

mookaloid

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that it was cheaper to buy another good engine than rebuild a knackered one.
andyd

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
In a word... Haynes manual... ok two words!

The wiring shouldn't be a problem, you can make up a loom from the diagrams in the Haynes manual. The "other bits" i.e. rectifier/regulator, CDI etc can be bought as pattern parts or from a breakers. Couldn't tell you how much that'd be but I'd guestimate at about £150.

Rebuilding will depend on if you're confident enough to have a go. Again the Haynes manual should take you through the process but in my experience some things they leave out which an experienced engine builder would do as a matter of course. If you know someone who is competant in that area, call them and buy 'em a few pints to help you out.

Whether you think it's worth the hassle will depend greatly on how much you paid for the bits + how much you'll have to pay to get it running vs buying a complete engine from elsewhere and recouping your money via eBay.

Reckon on £1000 for a fully runnable engine... see here as an example.

Andy

Mad Scientist

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Rebuilding is not a problem between myself and a few mates. Getting bearings etc might be.

Hmmmmmmm...........what to do!

andyd

posted on 23/11/05 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad Scientist
Getting bearings etc might be.

Why's that? Plenty of Honda dealers about that would love to let you buy their lovely parts.

If you're trying to keep to a tight budget though maybe dealers aren't the right place to go. However if you're talking bearings then I'd not be happy using anything other than honda parts myself. I'd not want it all to blow itself apart on the first run just to save a few quid.

You didn't mention if you have the injection system with it. If not, that'll be the biggest cost I'd reckon.

Andy

Mad Scientist

posted on 23/11/05 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
No throttle bodies.............its getting worse!

Breakers up the road have a set for £100 and they come up on ebay every now and then for about £40

ChrisGamlin

posted on 23/11/05 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Genuine gasket sets cost the earth (over £200 for a complete set), even a decent pattern set will probably cost you half that. Also if the big ends have gone then its likely to have taken the crank with it, and quite likely the rods too. If its anything like the 919 carbed engine (which it probably is) then you can't regrind the crank as you can't get over-sized shells for it. You can get the crank repaired and replated to original diameter but its quite expensive (I was quoted ~£200) and isnt as good as new. I was told by the people that quoted me to replate it that the material they have to use is much less tolerent to reductions in oil pressure than an original crank, and will run another bearing at the first hint of oil surge.

Speak to Andy Bates at AB Performance (01284 703101) as he basically lives to rebuild blade engines, he'll be able to give you a good price on the parts and will advise if its realistic to rebuild it or not, but in summary - ebay I reckon

[Edited on 23/11/05 by ChrisGamlin]

rick1962uk

posted on 23/11/05 at 02:29 PM Reply With Quote
if you need gaskets give me a shout ar sales@uktrailrides.co.uk and i will sort you a deal out wil need to know year or cc
rick1962uk

posted on 23/11/05 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rick1962uk
if you need gaskets give me a shout ar sales@uktrailrides.co.uk and i will sort you a deal out wil need to know year or cc
just looked it up £85.00 for gaskets

bigbriglasgow

posted on 23/11/05 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
this guy is a friend of mine mail him with your requirements. trust me he is great

Two-Wheel Bearings Online

coz its a bit of an animal

andrew.carwithen

posted on 23/11/05 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
I'd back up what Chris says.
Talk to Andy at AB Performance.
He'll tell you if its economically viable to rebuild it and, if so, he may possibly be able to sell you any genuine Honda parts you require (such as gasket sets and bearings) cheaper than a Honda dealers as he gets them at discount himself.

ReMan

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
If it's in bits there was obviously a problem already. Thats whats going to cost or make it impossible/uneconomical
The £85 gaskets is a bargain

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

Mad Scientist

posted on 23/11/05 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
OK, i've checked it out.

Its spun a big end bearing, on piston 1. As a result the edge of the piston crown is pitted slightly (above the rings). There is also some slight scoring on the bore, but you can only see it, not feel it, so I think it will hone out. There is no ovality in the piston or the bore. May need new piston, deffinately need big end, and prob small end. Con rod appears OK but needs measuring properly. Crank also looks OK but needs measuring also. If crank and bore are OK I will rebuild. I crank and or bore is gone, i'll sell it.

On the positive, if its rebuilt, and doesn't need crank or rebore then it will be as new and cost around the same as a complete used unit..................which may not be internally sound.

£85 for the gaskets sounds good, i'll U2U if needed. Does a full set include O rings etc? Thanks.

Mad Scientist

posted on 25/11/05 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
After having all the bearings/journals etc professionally measured, it turns out all I need to do is hone the bores, polish the crank journals and throw in a set of big ends!

Well chuffed! What a bargain!

Cheers for the advice.

Pete

ReMan

posted on 27/11/05 at 12:08 AM Reply With Quote
Good luck then, get it in!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.