Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC slipping clutch help please
jimmyjonga

posted on 26/11/05 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
BEC slipping clutch help please

hi
my zx9r engined vortx clutch slips as soon as i give it 1/2 throttle or more.... what is the best way to solve it?
1- just put new clutch plates in it
2- new std clutch + uprated springs
3- uprated clutch + uprated springs (eg ebc street racer kit i have seen)

also how tricky are bike clutches to change? never tried it before...
thanks
james

Mad Scientist

posted on 26/11/05 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Clutches are easy to change but i've never done it with a bike engine in a car. Sometimes need a special tool to undo clutch.

AB performance told me the other day that EBC uprated springs aren't good enough. He said i'd need Extra heavy duty springs for my blade engine. Don't know if they could help you but they are worth a try.

ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
The good news is that bike clutches are a doddle to change, an hour or so and you're all sorted.

Im not sure if there are any specifics with ZX9s but generally Id suggest new friction plates as an absolute minimum, plus check the steel plates for blueing / warping because if they are also gone then there's no point in just putting frictions in.

As to springs, some uprated springs would be a good idea although from expeirnec with their parts for blades, I personally wouldnt recommend EBC for springs. The springs (for the balde at least) seem to very quickly lose their resistance so soon (ie in a couple of hundred miles) end up shorter / weaker than standard items. The best springs I found were the Barnett ones (from PDQ) although how that translates over to ZX9s Im not sure. The EBC frictions are OK, more grabby than OEM Honda plates but half the price. If the price diffeence isnt huge I'd probably go with genuine Kawasaki parts unless you can get some good recommendations of alternatives.

You'll probably need a clutch cover gasket when you do it don't forget

Chris

ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/11/05 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Mad Scientist, Andy's right about the EBC springs, he uses the Barnett ones too.

You only need a special tool if you're changing the whole basket, and if you've got an impact wrench handy you don't even need that, as all the tool does is hold the basket still whilst you get a breaker bar on the retaining bolt. Just changing plates you wont need this though.

Chris

Andy W

posted on 27/11/05 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

I bought the EBC ones, what a load of of sh**, slipped as bad as standard. I now have barnett springs on a standard clutch, which seems fine

Andy

RichieC

posted on 27/11/05 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Is there a cheaper way to fit coil springs to those bike engines which have diaphragm type springs? (early R1 etc).

Barnett do a conversion, but theyre about 120 quid plus clutch material.

Rgds

Rich

ChrisGamlin

posted on 27/11/05 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Rich

Unless you machined something up yourself, there's not really another option to be honest as you need to replace the entire front pressure plate in order to use springs.

I guess the only other possibility would be to find another bike's pressure plate that would fit, ISTR that someone said that the Fazer 1000 had springs so its possible that would fit?
Chris

RichieC

posted on 28/11/05 at 01:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chris,

Yeh the Fazer had springs rather than a diaphragm. I wonder if its a direct swap, interested if anyone knows.

Also, is there much point in doubling up on the diaphragm springs? Ive heard that can make a nice improvement.

Rgds

Rich

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/11/05 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Didnt try the double diaphragm spring, I went straight to the Barnett conversion, but Ive heard that the double diaphragm works well too.
The Fazer is very similar to the R1 so its possible that it will fit, might need a complete basket swop though possibly?

RichieC

posted on 28/11/05 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
Yeh, sit might wel do.

Had a trawl about but cant find anyones experiences of adding another diaphragm.

Ill investigate the Fazer swap a bit more closely.

Rgds

Rich

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/11/05 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
Im pretty sure Jim Giblett and Paul Rogers have done this mod in the past, to name but two.

RichieC

posted on 28/11/05 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Chris, I think the better option is to swap out for coil springs if it wasnt for the £120 tag, Id do it (sometimes come up cheaper on eBay though)

Rgds

Rich

progers

posted on 28/11/05 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, I went straight for the Barnett conversion, great minds think alike eh ?!

- Paul

RichieC

posted on 28/11/05 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
Big difference? Does it justify the £££?
Rgds

Rich

ChrisGamlin

posted on 28/11/05 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Ah sorry Paul, I thought you did the extra spring mod on your old engine.

progers

posted on 28/11/05 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I did it really for peace of mind as I was building a trackday car so the last thing you want is to shell out £150 for a trackday and then have problems with clutch slip. It has certainly worked well. Feedback from others suggest the barnett conversion gives a more progressive (linear) feel to the clutch. Its subjective whether or not you feel its worth the ££, as by all accounts doubling the spring (or buying a stronger spring from Yamaha racing) works well too.

Cheers

Paul

jimgiblett

posted on 28/11/05 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yep doubled spring on mine. Works fine for me

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.