Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Velocity engine
iceman26

posted on 11/1/06 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity engine

what engine have people fitted i have a stage 3 1700 x flow will this be ok or not

also is the velocity the same as the book apart form the i r s eg can you uses locost body work

do you have to use the sierra front hubs or can you use the cortina ones

thanks for all your help

piddy

posted on 11/1/06 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.
I'm fitting a Ford Zetec to mine.

I can't see why you couldn't fit a cross flow. You would have to make up or get made engine brackets,exhaust manifold and possible gearbox mount.
Of course pinto, zetec and AGE parts are ready available.

mookaloid

posted on 11/1/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a cross flow. good power and relatively light weight.
Danozeman

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
You can fit what ever engine u feel is quick enough. The choices as piddy said are easiest along with your crossflow. If youv got it use it. You can always change later on.

As for the bodywork. If its a velocity not a Velocity XT(as its wider) locost bodywork will fit BUT velocity bodywork is taller so opens up better engine choice either for now or for later on.

Im fitting velocity bodywork to my locost BTW for the extra height for my zetec as it wont clear the bonnet. Plus i like the bonnet vent.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

donut

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
Xflows are still regarded as top engines with everything still available so if ya got it and like it then pop it in.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Got an almost standard Xflow in mine , performance is still pretty good. If I were building again I suspect I would go for a Zetec or 4AGE but not sure it's worth changing yet
muzchap

posted on 12/1/06 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
I'm building mine with a Zetec. But realistically most 'smallish' engines will fit.

I'd stick to the Sierra donor - the car has been specifically designed for that.

If you have Cortina bits - sell them on ebay for stupid money - which will allow you to cherry pick really good Sierra bits...

If you do decide to go Zetec - try and get one Pre August 1995 - that way you won't need an expensive Catalytic Converter :-)

Those Xflows do go well though and are relatively light - there's always some good-uns knocking around on ebay - although I'd recommend getting one of here, where somebody is upgrading to a Zetec or Toyota... :-)

HTH

Murray

andybod

posted on 12/1/06 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
zetec in mine still scratching my head at ecu and wiring, cross flow would be an easier install regards wiring
wilkingj

posted on 12/1/06 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rusty nuts
Got an almost standard Xflow in mine , performance is still pretty good. If I were building again I suspect I would go for a Zetec or 4AGE but not sure it's worth changing yet

Ahhh... After a long build you need to rest and recuperate, and enjoy the fruit of your labours during the coming summer.

Collect the bits you will neeed and then:
Engine upgrade is Next Winters project

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JW 21T
N00bie

Posts 3
Registered 22/1/05

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Luego Velocity with Renault 2liter turbo engine

posted on 15/1/06 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Building in mine a Renault 2liter turbo engine from a R21 turbo.
It's a pain in the ass to fit this thing but it will fit.
Problem is the intake and dynamo don't fit. Intake is now hand made,dynamo is a small one from a toyota.
sorry for my englisch i'm from Holland

Gazza

posted on 18/1/06 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
4AGE

Put a RAW 4-AGE 16V in mine - nice 'n small 'n light and fitted with twin 45's.....

Next winters project (assuming it gets finished before next winter) - fit new CAMS....

Just a bag o' rusty spanners

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.