Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Weber 40's dcoe
flathatmat

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Weber 40's dcoe

I have a set of Weber 40 DCOE's with bolt on trumpets. If they were the slide in trumpets then they would slide over the venturis to hold it. Can you tell me what holds the venturis when a bolt on trumpet is fitted?
At the moment it looks like someone has cut the slide in part off a trumpet and the just bolted on the trumpet.
As you can tell i am a bit of an amateur at this lark but want to get the setup right. Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

andyharding

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they should slide in. I have a set of short Weber DCOE 40 trumpets here if you want them cheap?

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

flathatmat

posted on 26/6/06 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
But what holds the venturis if you just bolt on the trumpet on the end as they do not slide in on the type i have???

mookaloid

posted on 26/6/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.webernorthamerica.com/pdffiles/45DCOE152.pdf

no.28 locking screw I think

flathatmat

posted on 26/6/06 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
so if i have bolt on trumpets with no insert that goes over the venturi just the trumpet, then i need retaining screw to hold the venturi OR i need some trumpets with the insert built in and the tab washers to fasten them on??

Thanks for your help.

britishtrident

posted on 27/6/06 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Two types of venturi exist, the normal type used by Lotus others had a steped rebate on the outer diameter to acomodate the slide in trumpet, the trumpet and air filter box back plate being held in by two studs per inlet. The trumpet in turn held the venturi.

The other type of venturi used by Chrysler Uk on some hunter and Avenger/Sunbeam models had the full length of the venturi the same dia as the carb body (I presume 40 mm)

Dave-M

posted on 27/6/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
Both types of Venturi are essentially the same other than the outstde diameter at the bell mouth end. It is perfectly possible to machine the venturi o/d on the bolt on bellmouth type to accept slide in trumpets, but not the other way round.
One thing to be aware of is that the rootes/chrysley dcoe's had extended auxilliary venturi's (an ali tube extending into the bell mouth) and if you remove the tube it will leave a step inside the auxilliary venturi which will affect the mid range fuel metering.
It is worth modifying the venturis to accept slide in types as you have a much greater range of lengths available.
One last point, do the machining as accuratley as possible and fit the bellmouths in using a little petrol resistant jointing compound (wellseal) as it is possible for fuel to leak round the venturi and bellmouth.
Hope this helps
Regards
Dave

johnjulie

posted on 28/6/06 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
Be careful when buying DCOE40s, a lot of boy racers will try and sell you their wonderful set of carbs, guaranteed to make your car go like stink, but often they are a pair of knackered very old carbs, off an old 60s racer, with no history or jetting information. It can cost a fortune to get them set up correctly, and if they are badly worn, usually end up as scrap.
The later DCOE 40 151 & 152s are the ones to look for, even then, jetting information is useful.
Cheers John

JFDI
"Just F*****G Do It"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.