Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Child safety seats - ive found a booster!!
DarrenW

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Child safety seats - ive found a booster!!

You may recall ages ago i campaigned the Dept of Transport to clarify the new safety seat rules relating to Children as passengers in LSIS type vehicles. Basic summary is you have to use correct child seat.

I decided my kids shouldnt go in the car until they could use the booster seat alone. This then gave rise to the issue that most boosters dont fit our narrow seats. Well - at last i have finally found a seat that does. It was £4.99 from Matalan. Company name - Sunshine. Bar code 4 002850 619254. its a black blow moulded plastic tub with cover that is mesh type material, mainly black with red at front. I think they also have some that are even narrower (without the side wings).

The previous option was to buy foam seat and cut it down but DoT were keen to point out the correct reg seats must be used, this rules out DIY boosters and cut down modified ones.

[Edited on 26/7/07 by DarrenW]

nick205

posted on 26/7/07 at 12:52 PM Reply With Quote
Good work Darren - I had been looking aaround, but drawn a blank.

My nephew may get to go for a spin after all

adithorp

posted on 26/7/07 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need a booster with a harness? I thought the point of the booster was to raise the child up so the diagonal straps went across thier chest and not neck; which isn't a problem with a harness type belt.

Or is it that the law is writen without allowing for harness'?

Adrian

GeoffB

posted on 26/7/07 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
cheers mate,my little boy starts school in sept and wants me pick him up in the Indyblade to show off how cool his dad is
(his words not mine,well maybe a little)

will get down there at weekend.

iank

posted on 26/7/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Do you need a booster with a harness? I thought the point of the booster was to raise the child up so the diagonal straps went across thier chest and not neck; which isn't a problem with a harness type belt.

Or is it that the law is writen without allowing for harness'?

Adrian

ding ding ding, give that man a cigar

Yes, the law is badly written and assumes conventional belts with no exceptions for harnesses (it's badly drafted in many other ways, but that's par for the course with this shower).

I'll also be getting one - thanks for the tip

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

David Jenkins

posted on 26/7/07 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the one?

LINK

If so, Tesco Direct had them, but now out of stock. Don't know if their stores have them...

HTH

scoey m
Builder

Posts 209
Registered 8/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MNR Vortx r1(sva pass 07 plate yumyum)

posted on 26/7/07 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Fantastic job mate

My little girl will be well chuffed now

Top spotting

Martin

DarrenW

posted on 26/7/07 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, that looks like the seat, but only £4.99 in Matalan.

The law gave me a headache. Those who recall will know i was on many times to DoT to clarify. Bottom line was you have to use an approved seat. Crazy in that you can carry kids in the back of old cars without any belts at all yet we have racing harnesses etc etc etc. Rest assured i put forward several arguments (well written and carefully considered) and yet they stood fast to their final word.

only issue with the seat is it says it is for 3 - 12 year olds but with weight limit of 36Kg. However id rather let her use it over the weight rather than modify a larger foam one.

We did have bother finding some in stock so if you see any grab them. A freind had to get mine for me.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.