Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Value retainment of 7's and alike?
donut

posted on 13/2/08 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
Value retainment of 7's and alike?

Do 7's, Fury's, Stylus's etc hold there value over a 3-5 year period if looked after?

Reason for asking was that if i wouldn't loose money buying another 7 or whatever then i could get something for say 4-5K next year and then still save up for my Cobra. Then when i have saved enough i can sell the toy and use that money towards the Cobra, bish bosh i get a car to use and still get the Cobra before i get too old to drive at the same time as if i just saved!

What say you? (no cocky remarks please )

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
Andy, Andy - how likely is it that you would keep a car for 3-5 years?

(mind) floats like a butterfly...

desyboy

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
Andy you would have more chance winning the lottery than keeping a 7 for 3-5 years!

[Edited on 13/2/08 by desyboy]

graememk

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote

nick205

posted on 13/2/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
OK, with the cocky remarks out the way....

A well built car should hold it's value reasonably well provided you don't pile on the miles and let it get shabby. But look at the cost of 3 years tax, insurance, fuel, butties at Newlands etc and you're starting to eat into valuable Cobra funds.

Add in the fact that you'll inevitable want to make a few mods and changes to personalise the car to your taste = more £££.

Finally, who's to say what will change in 3-5 years? If the cost of living (especially fuel prices) keeps going up the market for "toys" may take a down turn and you could lose more money.

I say save harder now and start building sooner

Guinness

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
It depends totally on the car.

My mate bought an 8 year old Caterham, with an x-flow in it, ran it for four years, and it's still worth the same now as when he bought it.

Compare that to a 8 year old badly finished Robin Hood, or locost / MK / MAC1 etc.

Most badly finished kits in odd colours with un-popular odd ball engines will drop like a stone. A well finished car with a popular engine choice and in a good colour scheme will retain its value (IMHO).

Mike

dhutch

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
I cant really add to the OPs question yet. However im also interested in the reply.

Half way though uni with maybe 3-4k i could use to buy a second car, possably a 750mc spec locost.

However it would be nice to know how much i might expect to loose.
- How much does millage affect them? Ive seem some that are 2-3years old anf bearly into a four-digit millage. I would have another car for cold/wet/long? trips, but would be planning to use the car whenever i could for day to day geting about during the summer months.
- Also, in terms of 'geting shabby' how well do they age? Thoughts of hand painted mild steel and exposed aluminum riveted to each other sends shudders down my spine. What does go 'shabby' with time?

Clearly costs of fuel/tax/maintainace/trackdays whatever will be total-loss, and maybe not negligable. But just thinking aloud and trying to add what i can. (donut, if im highjacking/nothelping tell me to shutup)

Daniel

donut

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
1st 3 replies... Oh you know me so well!!

it's just a thought at the moment!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:44 AM Reply With Quote
Caterhams and to a lesser extent westfields hold their value much better than other brands. On the downside they will be more than your budget. Thought you'd given up on 7's after the near miss?

Cars that are used regularly in all weathers or kept outside will deteriorate quite quickly. A car that's kept in a dry garage and only taken out on sunny Sundays and the occasional trackday will last almost indefinitely.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

DarrenW

posted on 13/2/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
It depends totally on the car.

My mate bought an 8 year old Caterham, with an x-flow in it, ran it for four years, and it's still worth the same now as when he bought it.

Compare that to a 8 year old badly finished Robin Hood, or locost / MK / MAC1 etc.

Most badly finished kits in odd colours with un-popular odd ball engines will drop like a stone. A well finished car with a popular engine choice and in a good colour scheme will retain its value (IMHO).

Mike

Same can be said of a badly finished Caterham or badly abused one.

I think they will all keep the money well if desirable and cared for. Its just that the various marques will cost differing amounts to buy.

locoboy

posted on 13/2/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I bought my F27 and paid 3250 for it, i kept it for 5 years and spent about £1000 on servicing, upgrading the brakes and harnesses, alloys new exhaust etc and sold it for £3175.

So it cost me £1075 for 5 years of fun - do the maths you aint gonna get more giggles for the money are you.

ATB
Locoboy

Fred W B

posted on 13/2/08 at 11:32 AM Reply With Quote
Long shot - Find a 7 (or other car?) with a V8 you can use in the cobra, run it till then and part out the rest.

Normally seems on here that it is reconed that an indifferent car is worth more as parts than completed

cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

donut

posted on 13/2/08 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Would rather have a Fury or similar especially if it had a V8!!!!!!

Andy

speedyxjs

posted on 13/2/08 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Guinness
un-popular odd ball engines will drop like a stone.

Not much hope for me then

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Pezza

posted on 13/2/08 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my westfield in 2003 of 4.5k, sold it in 2004 for 5k, that covered the consumables it used and insurance. so Just fuel for the year
I did spend a bit of time tidying it up mind.

You couldn't pwn your way out of a wet paper bag, with "PWN ME!!" written on it, from the "pwned take-away" which originally contained one portion of chicken tikka pwnsala and the obligatory free pwnpadom.

donut

posted on 13/2/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
See theres getting an OK one and making a profit by tidying it up!!

Andy

James

posted on 13/2/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
But by the time you've paid everyone else to do the work, you sure there's much money to be made?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

donut

posted on 13/2/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Probably not!!

Andy

posted on 14/2/08 at 01:05 AM Reply With Quote
Stainless Steel, that's the way to go.

Sh*g it for 3 years, park it on a beach at low tide, a quick going over with acid gel and 12 hours later its back to pristine condition.

What can go wrong?

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.