Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT. Web hosting providers?
tegwin

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
OT. Web hosting providers?

Im setting up a couple of websites, two will have very low traffic, and one will have slightly more traffic....

I had seriously considered using Servage as it looks like its fairly customizable and the limits are fairly large, but after looking at peoples reviews im having second thoughts...

Can anyone recomend a decent hosting company that gives value for money and an ultra reliable service

I need PHP as a bare minimum...Atleast 10Gb of space and plenty of BW...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ChrisW

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hopefully you are impressed with the reliability and speed of this site... in which case, you could host with me?

There's not much on the company website about website hosting, but we are happy to do it. Drop me a u2u and I'll send you some prices.

Cheers, Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 21/5/08 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid Servage at all costs. I was with them for a year and they were awful. I hosted several sites on my account and they were constantly going down, literally several times a day. On top of that, transfer rates were very slow and I've heard plenty of stories of them blocking people's accounts even though they were nowhere near their transfer limits. Customer service is practically non-existent - their support staff have English as a third language at best and out of the 15 or so support tickets I raised, they were able to solve precisely none of them! I had to figure everything out for myself.

I'm now with Liquid Web who are fantastic but possibly a little bit expensive for your needs. I'd say go with Chris, I've been visiting Locostbuilders for several years and I can't remember a single time when the site has been slow or unavailable, so I reckon the hosting must be pretty decent!

Pete

[Edited on 21/5/08 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 22/5/08 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Clara.net

or with ChrisW as you know him..kinda

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

Werner Van Loock

posted on 22/5/08 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
10Gb and low traffic? What are you up to?

I'm using one.com and only had problems once, and it was that they upgraded their SQL servers and something went horribly wrong, but fixed very quickly. No traffic limit (fair use policy) and up to 4GB space at a very low cost. Support for PHP4&5, mySQL db (only single), unlimited mail addresses, etc...

http://www.clubstylus.be

tegwin

posted on 22/5/08 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

10Gb and low traffic? What are you up to?

On of my website is going to be used as my photography portfolio....so loads of files, and proberably very few hits..unless I become famous..

Servage had quite a few hickups last night, and im worried that in a few months time I might start having trouble with them....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

ChrisW

posted on 22/5/08 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
Have replied to your u2u, Duncan.

I've never heard of Severage to be honest. However, one thing I would point out is that they operate out of the States. If your intended audience is in the UK you are best off hosting it here.

As for downtime... the last one I can remember was my fault - I knocked the power lead out of the server. It was at 5 in the morning though, so I don't think anyone noticed. Since then, the server is showing an uptime of 210 days, and before that it was well over 400. Not mega impressive figures, but I think they're at least worth of being called 'very good' considering some of the efforts I've seen in this marketplace!

Chris

scoobyis2cool

posted on 22/5/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Just for your reference, I think Servage started in Germany and I'm pretty sure they have a dedicated UK data centre, but it's irrelevant anyway seeing as they're useless!

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

britishtrident

posted on 22/5/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
I was with Compila for a while but fell out with them when they got in a mix up because my hosting and domain renewal dates weren't the same, they were pretty OK otherwise.
However they do provide good control of your hosting via a usr control panel and have good easy to set up mail filters..

Now back with LCN who have been pretty OK for what I want.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Hellfire

posted on 22/5/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
I use 123.co.uk for one of my websites and never had a problem.

For the Hellfire webspace I use INETC which have served us well (images, video and blog) for the last 5 years - never, ever had a problem. Considering it gets hammered when I upload a video I consider it second to none.

Steve

[Edited on 22-5-08 by Hellfire]

Tim 45

posted on 23/5/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
Avoid strato hosting..scammed me into another 6 months with them..

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.