Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cost of double glazing
smart51

posted on 1/11/08 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of double glazing

I've just had a quote for 4 double glazed windows, two of which are quite large. All are A rated, with toughened K glass, internal glazed with steel reinforced frames and locking childproof catches. His price was £2998 (inc 38% discount) inc VAT, plus £198 for scaffolding as 2 of the windows are on the 2nd floor.

Is this a reasonable price for what seems to be a good product?

zilspeed

posted on 1/11/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
A price per single window of £450 supplied and fitted is pretty much industry average.

So six would be £2700.

You're not far away there if you take your two small plus two large as being six all in, if you see what I mean.

You're pretty much on the money there.

If you can do it yourself, you can half that.
I fitted an 1800x900 triple light window for my brother recently. Mahogany UPVC, rehau or Veka, can't quite remember.
Anyway - £238 delivered.

[Edited on 1/11/08 by zilspeed]

TOO BADD

posted on 1/11/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
I can work out what they would be on a 'c'
if you like ( need sizes and openers ) but if they are REALLY an 'A' make sure you get a certificate for an 'A' and get this in writing before ordering.
Not Anglian by any chance ? Showhome offer etc

[Edited on 1/11/08 by TOO BADD]

Alfa145

posted on 1/11/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
get 3 or 4 companies in for quotes and see what differences there are. Thats what I'm doing.
joneh

posted on 1/11/08 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Don't go with a large company - go with a small company based on someones recomendation. My dad runs a double glazing company based solely on recommendations.

No sales staff, company cars, adverts or factory to pay for. Means better value to you.

mitch2b

posted on 1/11/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with above, find a small independant who comes recomended, mates been fitting windows for 15 years and not had to advertise once, all his custom comes from recomendations, shame hes not close, but hes booked up for 3 months anyhow.
Mitch

maartenromijn

posted on 1/11/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to be a HUGE amount to me. Then again, I live in the Netherlands, which might just make the difference.

I am working for a glazing company as sales rep. If you give me the sizes, thermal resistance factor, and a picture of the wall(s) where the glazing is supposed to be placed, I can make you a calculation to be used for reference. However, as mentioned above, since I am in the Netherlands the prices might be different...

Note that bigger companies have better purchase conditions, depending on their turnover in glass.

BLOG: http://thunderroad-super7.blogspot.com/

smart51

posted on 2/11/08 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
The largest window is 2.4 x 1.6m, the next is 2.4 and 1.2 and the others are 1.2m square (approximately). The big windows are divided into 4 vertical panes with the largest divided across the top too so that there are 8 panes. The outer panes open. The small windows are divided across the width with one opening window each. The big window really is.
davo

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
as above go with a smaller company that will do you a deal & prob give better service

or stuff the windows &spend the money on your motor!!!!

David Jenkins

posted on 2/11/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maartenromijn
It seems to be a HUGE amount to me. Then again, I live in the Netherlands, which might just make the difference.

This isn't called 'rip-off Britain' for nothing! It's quite interesting to price things up when on holidays in Europe... although I did notice that supermarket prices weren't so much different in France this year.

Property prices were a HUGE amount cheaper though...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.