Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Air box silencing
John G

posted on 18/1/23 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Air box silencing

I have a Stuart Taylor with a ZZR100 on flat slides with foam filters. I have a design for an air box to draw in cool air from the front of the car. The air box will be folded sheet aluminium. Looking to reduce the inlet noise under bonnet, any ideas of a sound deadening material to line the box with?
Regards Jon

roadrunner

posted on 18/1/23 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
How about this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152159702461?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=Gs1AhTzWTKa&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=pkht2t1JSLy &var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=IG_STORY

falcor75

posted on 19/1/23 at 06:35 AM Reply With Quote
I would probably try to put any sound insulation on the outside of the box, you dont want bits and pieces letting go after a while and get stuck closer to the engine.
cliftyhanger

posted on 19/1/23 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John G
I have a Stuart Taylor with a ZZR100 on flat slides with foam filters. I have a design for an air box to draw in cool air from the front of the car. The air box will be folded sheet aluminium. Looking to reduce the inlet noise under bonnet, any ideas of a sound deadening material to line the box with?
Regards Jon

Fitting an airbox fed by a hose will greatly reduce noise anyway. And as above, sound deadening on teh outside if required. I think you can baffle an intake hose if required, sounds fiddly though.

adithorp

posted on 19/1/23 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
The sound deadning used on body panels might work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/easigear-Sound-Deadening-Proofing-20pc/dp/B08NXNVSJK/ref=asc_df_B08NXNVSJK/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=535 061376645&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3044243931448276998&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocp hy=9046652&hvtargid=pla-1564231320685&psc=1

[Edited on 19/1/23 by adithorp]

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Twobeers

posted on 19/1/23 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cliftyhanger
quote:
Originally posted by John G
Regards Jon

Fitting an airbox fed by a hose will greatly reduce noise anyway. And as above, sound deadening on teh outside if required. I think you can baffle an intake hose if required, sounds fiddly though.

Agree with you, the airbox alone will make a significant difference, not sure anything further will make much improvement.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.