Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: £5000 to spend what would you buy?
dlatch

posted on 23/1/04 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
£5000 to spend what would you buy?

Hi guys
first post and looking for some advice from those in the know

Basicly i will have in my grubby mitts £5K and i am looking for a fun kitcar of the lotus 7 style
what would you guys suggest i look for? i have seen the usual xflow powered westies ect but would ideally prefer a more modern powerplant ie zetec or XE
also any good places to keep an eye out for any potential bargains?
i would consider part finished kit but would prefer completed car or close to completed.
cheers
duncan

[Edited on 23/1/04 by dlatch]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
James

posted on 23/1/04 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
Hiya,

Welcome to the madhouse!

You *might* get an imcomplete Bike Engined Car for that much with a bit of hunting.

Then you'll really have some fun!

James

[Edited on 23/1/04 by James]

andrew-theasby

posted on 23/1/04 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the same budget as i planned but its gone now, not by much tho. Best places ive found are www.ebay.co.uk and www.findit.co.uk or might be .com . You can set up a mailing list on find it so you dont have to check it everyday for new bits. Dont just buy the first thing you come across cause the more you learn about them it seems the more money you can save. Thats my opinion any way. Ps vauxhall or zetec is a good choice i think.
dlatch

posted on 23/1/04 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
James
yeah i would love a bike engined car but fear this is slightly out of my price range. although i could settle for a cheap xflow powered machine and upgrade the engine at a later date perhaps.

Andrew
yup i like the zetec/XE idea and i think this will most likely be the powerplant of choice but the bike engines are seriously tempting as well

Car will be used on road and trackdays.
cheers
duncan

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DARRYL

posted on 23/1/04 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
dlatch- You have U2U
andrew-theasby

posted on 24/1/04 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
I wanted a bike engine at first too but went off the idea after someone i knew had loads of trouble getting it through the sva emissions test. There seemed to be a lot of expensive things that you can easily forget about with them too like dry sumps if you need them etc. zx9's and blades seem the easiest option but there are plenty of people on here that are using bike engines that will correct me if im wrong.
dlatch

posted on 24/1/04 at 01:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andrew
i have been recommended the ZZR1100 as a engine donor by a few bike mates in the know they told me its 125bhp as standard and can be tuned to 150bhp no problem, best bit is they are cheap and plentyfull to buy
not sure on the dry sump option on these but it would be desirable for serious track abuse i am sure.
also how much will a reverse box cost? i seem to remember quaife are making one now, it seems most the main issues in the bike engined cars are now pretty much sorted.
any bike engined owners care to comment on my engine choice? any experience of it being used?
cheers
duncan

JoelP

posted on 24/1/04 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
i arent a BEC person, but i know that electric reverse is often prefered to reverse gearboxes. Plus, dry sumping is more important because bikes lean into corners and as such reduce the slosh factor, in a bec its level with shitloads of cornering grip to move the oil about. Maybe good baffles would do though.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Alan B

posted on 24/1/04 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP......shitloads of cornering grip.......

Excellent terminology..

JoelP

posted on 24/1/04 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
its a catchall term alan, cant go far wrong using it!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Alan B

posted on 24/1/04 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
its a catchall term alan, cant go far wrong using it!

Oh I know...heard it often...just love the phrase..

Jon Ison

posted on 24/1/04 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
wunt realy consider anything but a bike motor,

blades, zx, r1 seem to cope no prob without expensive dry sumps, dumped all the oil out my Blackbird motor twice last season, the engine still runs fine, hence its now called the cat.....

Hellfire

posted on 26/1/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
ZZR + Dry Sumping + Reverse = Forget 5K

dlatch

posted on 26/1/04 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
ZZR + Dry Sumping + Reverse = Forget 5K

i agree a 5k budget would be optimistic

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.