Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Glasgow based DVLA inspection - How?
craig1410

posted on 1/4/09 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
Glasgow based DVLA inspection - How?

Hi,
Not as daft as it sounds above unless I've missed something...

SVA is on Friday and I was thinking, while the car is on a trailer, why not take it round past the DVLA offices for inspection. However, I believe that the Glasgow DVLA guys usually ask you to park in the multi-storey car park next to their offices and they come out and inspect it there.

Not sure I fancy towing a Locost on a trailer through a multistorey car park and wondered what others have done?

Is it possible to get DVLA to come to you or can I ask my local police to do the inspection at my home, or for that matter can I swing past the police station on my way home with the car?

Cheers,
Craig.

thunderace

posted on 1/4/09 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
phone them tell them your problem.
pbs

posted on 1/4/09 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
Craig, Let me know how you get on with this.

Thanks

Bruce

Build your own sports car for £250 my ar5e!!

Arnie

posted on 1/4/09 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA came round to the house to check so that could be an option.

Regards,

Arnie

[Edited on 1/4/09 by Arnie]

craig1410

posted on 1/4/09 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Yes I'll get in touch with them tomorrow if I can. I'm not expecting to pass SVA first time to be honest as I've not had enough "comfort zone" to get it 100% ready but if it does pass then I want to know what is the next step to getting it on the road. I know this varies by office.

I have arranged insurance for the car so I should be able to drive it home from the test once we get off the motorway. I don't want to risk driving an untried car on the motorway as it is too risky and expensive if I have any issues...

I'll keep you all posted...
Thanks,
Craig.

Jumpy Guy

posted on 30/4/09 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
ANy update on this? how did you getit sorted?
craig1410

posted on 30/4/09 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jumpy Guy
ANy update on this? how did you getit sorted?

Hi,
Okay, quick summary as follows:

SVA passed on 3rd April
Spoke to DVLA inspector at SVA centre since he visits there on Fridays. I asked him to inspect the car there and then but he can't do so until the paperwork has been submitted to the DVLA office. Even though I had the paperwork with me he couldn't do the inspection. Not his fault - he was actually very pleasant, interested and helpful. His name is Kenny by the way. He told me that he would be down in the Kilmarnock area the following Wednesday and if I got my paperwork in quickly then he would be able to carry out the inspection at my home.

Took my paperwork in to the office on Monday 6th April and this was literally handed to Kenny while I was there. He phoned later that day to confirm the inspection appointment for the 8th April.

Inspection done on 8th as promised - took 5 minutes and no issues. It would take longer if an age related plate was requested but I'm happy with a Q. Kenny said he would possibly be back in the office later that day and would try to get the registration passed through by one of his colleagues the following day to avoid the easter holiday weekend when the office would be closed. Unfortunately this wasn't possible despite me dropping in to the office on the 9th on the off chance.

I waited for a call from the DVLA office but no call came so I phoned them on the 15th to chase it up. A bit annoying that you have to phone Swansea call centre and they ask someone from Glasgow to call you back. Anyway, a guy called Derek called me back and said that he couldn't understand why nobody had called me already because everything was ready! All they needed was my insurance certificate (which I had provided on the 6th and again on the 9th but nobody seemed to want to see it on those occasions...)

Went in to the DVLA office on the 16th only to find that both Derek and Kenny were on lunch. Some other guy had to hunt for the paperwork and by the time I received my tax disc and number plate letter I only had 1 minute to get to central station for my train... Made it as the doors closed after a full-pelt sprint down the middle of the street!

Went to Halfords all excited with my number plate letter in hand only to spend 20 minutes providing details and selecting the appropriate style. They then discovered that they don't stock the letter Q because it is only for written off cars... Tried a few other local garages but couldn't get any plates. Ended up ordering them on next day delivery with http://www.no1showplates.co.uk - great service by the way!

Attached the plates on Saturday 18th and went for my first proper drive!

Quite straightforward really...

A friend of mine had his SVA on the 22nd April and was on the road the same day. The trick for him was to get the inspection done before SVA (same day as my inspection in fact). He then called in to the DVLA office on the way home from SVA and got the paperwork done there and then. I think I was a bit unlucky due to the easter weekend otherwise it would have been done by the 10th I'm sure.

Let me know if you have any questions.
Cheers,
Craig.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.